Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

Luigi

Original Poster
Definitely a rumor...But there are some rumblings...
From another popular Disney Site, who I cannot seem to link here.
If I shouldn't be posting this, sorry...feel free to delete.

RUMOR: Is Disney Nearing a Deal with Universal for MARVEL Theme Park Rights?

When Disney purchased MARVEL in 2009, the first question every theme park fan had was “What does this mean for MARVEL at Universal’s Islands of Adventure and can Disney build MARVEL attractions at Walt Disney World?”

In the 6 years since then, we have come to learn that the contract Universal and MARVEL etched out in the 1990’s was pretty iron clad and has prevented Walt Disney World from even thinking about the possibility anytime soon. In 2012, Universal spent a ton of money to upgrade the Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man attraction, even though Disney owns the property. Just to host a movie preview of Guardians of the Galaxy in Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disney couldn’t use “Marvel” in any marketing materials or at the preview. Hell, they can’t even mention “Marvel” or “the Avengers” to promote a Vinylmation release at Walt Disney World this week…

So, what are these? ;)

However, things seem to be changing. Rumors indicate that some of the MARVEL attractions at Islands of Adventure are closing or being re-themed. Before the end of the year, the Incredible Hulk coaster and Dr. Doom’s Fear-Fall are expected to close. Hulk is expected to get a huge renovation that includes a completely new theme, while Dr. Doom’s Fear-Fall is rumored to simply be removed.

Is Fear-Fall coming down? What will replace it?

What’s interesting about removing the Fantastic 4 themed “Fear-Fall”l is the current war MARVEL is waging on FOX. FOX of course is re-booting the Fantastic Four despite the wishes of MARVEL Studios, and in return, Marvel is killing off the Fantastic Four in comic books in order to not offer any promotion for the film. So, does MARVEL want Fantastic Four gone from Islands of Adventure until FOX decides to work with them? It’s possible. While the Universal deal gives them the theme park rights, it also still includes rights that allow MARVEL some creative control to protect their characters and brands.

It’s no secret that MARVEL theme park attractions are in the works for Disneyland Resort down the road (As early as 2018), but the Iron Man Experience ride is already set to open in Hong Kong Disneyland next year. To avoid any “brand confusion”, one would assume Disney and Universal would like to reach some agreement before then, but Universal’s mindset on the property being in their parks is unclear.

While all speculation at this point, inside sources have told us that something is up over at Universal. Whether or not they will relinquish all rights or be changing themes to incorporate different MARVEL characters is unknown at this point, but one of these two scenarios seems likely. Either way, communication is definitely open between Disney and Universal and the option of reaching an agreement to bring MARVEL to Disney World is seeming more likely that it did several years ago.

Last edited:

doctornick

@marni1971 hinted about this earlier in another thread.

You mean this post? It would certianly be interesting.

I'm skeptical that comcast would just give up the rights, unless they were paid some astronomical amount that Disney would not be willing to pay. What does seem plausible is an agreement between the companies to share the theme park rights in some way, perhaps with some clear delineation of character rights (I maintain that the "family" concept in the deal is pretty non-specific and many characters would fall into a gray area as to who would own the theme park rights). I don't know what Comcast would want in such a deal though -- decreased usage fees? ability to use MCU likenesses? Advertisement for IoA at WDW?

PhotoDave219

I'm skeptical that comcast would just give up the rights, unless they were paid some astronomical amount that Disney would not be willing to pay. What does seem plausible is an agreement between the companies to share the theme park rights in some way, perhaps with some clear delineation of character rights (I maintain that the "family" concept in the deal is pretty non-specific and many characters would fall into a gray area as to who would own the theme park rights). I don't know what Comcast would want in such a deal though -- decreased usage fees? ability to use MCU likenesses? Advertisement for IoA at WDW?

Same thread, some of the later posts about "jumbling IPs" & strange bedfellows.

Launchpad McQuack

I think this article exaggerates the situation with Marvel and the Fantastic Four. The book has been cancelled and relaunched several times, including at least two different new #1 issues in the last 2-3 years. This happens all the time with comic books, especially those that aren't currently top sellers.

A lot of people say the same thing about how Marvel is handling X-Men, even though there are still several monthly X-Men books. They point to Marvel killing off Wolverine, even though they made it a huge event book and then launched a "Wolverines" series with other Wolverine-related characters carrying on his legacy. They also put Deadpool front and center in pretty much everything they do, and he's another Fox property.

Kman101

I don't see why it's so hard to even fathom Uni giving up the rights or them working out some deal with Disney, if that's even what this is. MSHI, apart from Spidey, is hardly all that impressive. Hulk is easily re-themed to something else. They can't use Marvel anywhere else anymore so why not just move on? I don't know why fans want to cling to IOA holding onto Marvel. They can do other things there and still keep Spidey.

Luigi

Original Poster
The only rumor that I have heard over and over is the eventually re theming of Marvel Island to Wicked and with the film coming out next year...

Since Disney owns Marvel, they have been keeping Universal to very high standards in attraction upkeep costs the some money. Plus they will not let them update the rides or add any new ones which would require Marvel permission. Universal comcast has a lot of new IP that they own and probably are thinking to switch over for complete control.

Also, possible Harry Potter expansion again, Skull island is on the table...etc.

Luigi

Original Poster
I don't see why it's so hard to even fathom Uni giving up the rights or them working out some deal with Disney, if that's even what this is. MSHI, apart from Spidey, is hardly all that impressive. Hulk is easily re-themed to something else. They can't use Marvel anywhere else anymore so why not just move on? I don't know why fans want to cling to IOA holding onto Marvel. They can do other things there and still keep Spidey.

I think a smart deal for both parties would let Universal hold onto Spidey until they can retheme it something just as exciting and let Disney have the Avengers and those connected in the MCU (apart from Spidey)

GLaDOS

Before the end of the year, the Incredible Hulk coaster and Dr. Doom’s Fear-Fall are expected to close. Hulk is expected to get a huge renovation that includes a completely new theme, while Dr. Doom’s Fear-Fall is rumored to simply be removed..

Yes.

reaching an agreement to bring MARVEL to Disney World is seeming more likely that it did several years ago.

No.

Plus they will not let them update the rides or add any new ones which would require Marvel permission.

Spider-Man was completely redone after Disney's acquisition of Marvel, not to mention the Marvel Meet and Greet Characters received radically updated costumes around the same time.

Luigi

Original Poster
I'm all for a Hulk make over and Fear Fall demo.. But I doubt Disney will even attempt to make a ride as good as Spider-Man if they do get the rights. I'd find it hilarious if Universal just upgrades/expands the land hahah, that would be a slap in the face to Disney

They can't upgrade or add anyhting Marvel without permission from Marvel. Which they won't get. Hence the stagnation of the rides and the walk around characters costumes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom