Did you know Imagineering designed attractions for non-Disney companies?

KevinPage

Apparently Disney was going to use the ride design of Spiderman on a ________ Tracey ride, but the movie bombed, so no ride and it sat on the shelf. That seems to be the common knowledge floating around that I haven't heard anyone dispute it.

How Universal was able to get their hands on it and not get sued I have no idea though.

Lee

Adventurer
Well, sort of...
The D. Tracy ride was more like "Men in Black" or a souped up "Space Ranger Spin".
There were similarities to the "Spiderman" system, but not many.
What similarities there were, probably came from the guys who left WDI and went to Universal.

In any case, they are different enough that there was no patent issues.

HebeJebe

Is Encounters the restaurant that looks like it should revolve? It was on an episode of Unwrapped on the Food Network.

Hershey's Chocolate, it's a Hershey's Chocolate, it's a Hershey's Chocolate World. Wherever you go, no matter how far, you're always near a Hershey's Bar.

juan

WDI has designed:

-Displays and galleries for the Autry Museum of Western Herritage in LA
-The "Tower of Nations" for the 1960 8th Winter Olympics in Squaw Valley
-The themed Disney Stores in Las Vegas, San Francisco, and NYC

cm1988

Timeless

Walt Disney Imagineering designed a circlevision film for Bell Canada. It was shown at Expo67, Montreal, and was titled "Canda 67".

Good film! Geese flying around, Canadian Mounties, Calgary Stampede... all kinds of neat stuff about our neighbors to the North.

Gosh, that was 36 years ago. I wonder what ever happened to it? :lookaroun

For more information on this <I>timeless</I> film, check out this site

SewIn2Disney

Originally posted by HebeJebe

Hershey's Chocolate, it's a Hershey's Chocolate, it's a Hershey's Chocolate World. Wherever you go, no matter how far, you're always near a Hershey's Bar.

Hershey chocolate, Real Milk Chocolate, HERSHEY! The great american chocolate bar....

Sorry:lookaroun Couldn't help myself:lol:

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Re: Re: Re: Did you know Imagineering designed attractions for non-Disney companies?

Originally posted by ArsonWinter
Well, that may be, but living 20 miles from Hershey, and I've worked in the Hershey Museum a few summers ago in the Past Master program. Never have I heard anything about WDI being involved in Chocolate World (which is owned by Hershey Foods, not Herco, which owns and operates Hersheypark and Dutch Wonderland).

I know that the ride has changed over the years. One example that comes to mind is when they had the ride hosted by a robot that would pop up in various places from time to time. In fact, they keep changing the ride, upgrading scenes (and in a one case, removed a scene entirely) every few years.

So, if WDI did, in fact, build this ride (which if true, would be news to me), the question then remains what version of the ride did they design? It's been around since the 70's, so this would be interesting to see what WDI designed, and what has changed since then.

I remembered reading that WDI designed it a long time ago. I can't remember where. I did a search on the internet and only found proof of the LAX resteraunt, the New Amsterdam Theater in NYC, and some other project in Anaheim (it was either a stadium or the convention center... forgot which), as WDI involvment.

spagofreep

Although they didnt design it from the ground up...imagineers help with the design of Rainforest Cafe, When Rainforest first opend in the Mall of America

Hurricane

Does anyone know if WDI was involved with the construction of the Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA? I know that Disney was defacto involved because of the Disney family ties with CalArts but does anyone know if WDI was brought in?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom