Did I Really Just See That.....in Disney World?????

eliezrah

All kids scream when given ANY kind of punishment. You would think someone was pulling off an arm or a leg the way some kids react to a swift swap on the rump!
That's a pretty general statement to make, and unless you've seen ALL kids and how they react when punished, it's not one that you can truthfully say. My kids have never once screamed at any punishment and neither have any of the kids I've taught or worked with. In fact, that was the first child I've seen scream at a punishment.

DManRightHere

I love reading those threads where we talk about what is your favorite, most disgusting, most embarrasing, most magical (etc.) moments in Disney World. I thought I would start a similar type of thread.

Have you ever seen somebody do anything in Disney World so outrageous, so jaw-dropping, and so out there that literally stopped you in your tracks and made you ask yourself if you really saw what you just saw (good or bad)?

One situation that comes to mind for me happened in March 2007. My wife and I were returning to the Contemporary resort via the monorail after a full day at Epcot. While waiting in line for a monorail, there was a family of four a few spots in front of us (Mom, Dad, Boy - 9ish, Girl - 5ish). Well, the older boy was leaning on the metal chains. The Mom asked him to stop. He did for all of 10 seconds and then proceeded to lean on the chains again. Well, the Mom did not appreciate it much. She proceeded to take off her belt, yell at her son that she had enough, and began whipping the boy with the belt right there in front of everyone. You could tell who wore the pants in the family because the Dad was looking away trying to ignore the whole thing. While this was going on (throughout the 4-5 lashes lovingly bestowed on the Boy), the little girl was singing happily that her brother was getting the belt. Are there people out there really like that? Did I really just see that?

Talk about making everyone on the plaform feel uncomfortable, not to mention how awful we all felt for the Boy, who was hysterically crying. A man standing next to them told her to stop, and she then lashed out verbally at the man to mind his own business. And wouldn't you know it? They sat in the same car as us.

(off topic - has there ever been a thought of opening an additonal forum for these types of "favorite" posts so we don't have to sift through multiple pages in the General Discussion forum?)

I'd have to see the situation in person...but some kids deserve it lol. Depending I may have applauded the mother lol.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That's a pretty general statement to make, and unless you've seen ALL kids and how they react when punished, it's not one that you can truthfully say. My kids have never once screamed at any punishment and neither have any of the kids I've taught or worked with. In fact, that was the first child I've seen scream at a punishment.
You really live a sheltered life if you think that kids do not overreact.

You've already made it painfully clear that your idea of punishment does not match mine. So it's no wonder your kids don't put on a show when made to stand in the corner, or go three minutes without their iPad.

Last edited:

eliezrah

I never said kids don't overreact at times. What I said was not every kid screams at any type of punishment, which were your exact words. And no, my kids don't scream when punished since they are not terrified of getting hurt and they understand that if you misbehave there are consequences. What is wrong with that? Not that you even know what punishments we give, besides not beating our lids senseless, but you make it sound like a bad thing if a child isn't hit or smacked & isn't crying.

If you want to make assumptions about my life or who I am simply because I said you can't make a general statement about how "every" kid reacts to "ANY" punishment, then go ahead since you obviously think you are correct about everything.

I'm moving on and would like to get back to the actual topic here, crazy things people have seen at WDW.

KingStefan

I'm kinda drawing a blank - all the things I can't believe I saw at WDW lately (OK, it's been a while) have been part of the show and good things. I guess that's positive!

wdwstateofmind

I have a most embarrassing. I had to be removed from DHS about two years ago in a stretcher because my blood pressure plummeted. I passed out on Tower of Terror and then apparently walked to Star Tours (I don't really remember and have no recollection of this; it's the story my wife has told me) before I decided I didn't want to get on because I was going to vomit and then passed out again in front of American Idol. I woke up surrounded by Disney employees (one of whom I had remembered from talking to 5 years earlier) and EMTs; followed by a nice crowd to observe my deliriousness...I knew my name, but that was about all...

While I normally drink enough water I guess I hadn't drank enough that day because I went through like 2.5 fluid bags at the hospital...I blame the bottles of wine from the night before...but ultimately, I was my own worst enemy I guess...

eliezrah

People forget that the combination of heat, sun, and more walking than usual can be a killer. Add in alcohol, and it's a wonder that more people aren't fainting.
It almost happened to me last month at the town carnival. I didn't even have alcohol, but the combo of the major heat wave, plus not drinking enough, plus A LOT of fast spinny rides and I wasn't doing too well! It was super embarrassing since we knew almost everyone there!

thomas998

I love reading those threads where we talk about what is your favorite, most disgusting, most embarrasing, most magical (etc.) moments in Disney World. I thought I would start a similar type of thread.

Have you ever seen somebody do anything in Disney World so outrageous, so jaw-dropping, and so out there that literally stopped you in your tracks and made you ask yourself if you really saw what you just saw (good or bad)?

One situation that comes to mind for me happened in March 2007. My wife and I were returning to the Contemporary resort via the monorail after a full day at Epcot. While waiting in line for a monorail, there was a family of four a few spots in front of us (Mom, Dad, Boy - 9ish, Girl - 5ish). Well, the older boy was leaning on the metal chains. The Mom asked him to stop. He did for all of 10 seconds and then proceeded to lean on the chains again. Well, the Mom did not appreciate it much. She proceeded to take off her belt, yell at her son that she had enough, and began whipping the boy with the belt right there in front of everyone. You could tell who wore the pants in the family because the Dad was looking away trying to ignore the whole thing. While this was going on (throughout the 4-5 lashes lovingly bestowed on the Boy), the little girl was singing happily that her brother was getting the belt. Are there people out there really like that? Did I really just see that?

Talk about making everyone on the plaform feel uncomfortable, not to mention how awful we all felt for the Boy, who was hysterically crying. A man standing next to them told her to stop, and she then lashed out verbally at the man to mind his own business. And wouldn't you know it? They sat in the same car as us.

(off topic - has there ever been a thought of opening an additonal forum for these types of "favorite" posts so we don't have to sift through multiple pages in the General Discussion forum?)

Frankly I think actions have consequences. In your story I see no problem with what happened. The boy did something wrong and was told to stop, he failed to listen to his mom and got spanked for it. I seriously doubt that it was unexpected by the boy, he probably was well aware that if he didn't do what he was told to do that he would be spanked... Most likely he simply thought that because it was out in public she wouldn't do it. He was wrong and he paid the price.

Maybe just maybe if more parents didn't do that stupid time out garbage and spanked their kids when they didn't listen the prisons in this country would be a little less crowded.

Unless there was blood, it wasn't child abuse it was merely proper parenting.

cape cod Disney

One time at the Indiana Jones a woman was breast feeding her baby, which I am all for but she took off her shirt and bra so she was topless and breast fed and talked like it was nothing. She had a large family with her no one seemed to mind, bet the funniest thing was she was in the front row dead center and every time the acters went bye her their jaws droped open it was funny and disturbing at the same time. I was lucky enough to have a seat a couple rows back and could see every ones reaction which went on most of the show.Best Indy show ever!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I never said kids don't overreact at times. What I said was not every kid screams at any type of punishment, which were your exact words. And no, my kids don't scream when punished since they are not terrified of getting hurt and they understand that if you misbehave there are consequences. What is wrong with that? Not that you even know what punishments we give, besides not beating our lids senseless, but you make it sound like a bad thing if a child isn't hit or smacked & isn't crying.

If you want to make assumptions about my life or who I am simply because I said you can't make a general statement about how "every" kid reacts to "ANY" punishment, then go ahead since you obviously think you are correct about everything.

I'm moving on and would like to get back to the actual topic here, crazy things people have seen at WDW.
Since you are taking me so literally then perhaps I really was talking about baby goats.

back on topic....parents letting their children run wild with no discipline swinging on turnstiles and dividers like they were made to be jungle gyms has got to be more of the moment than some parent disciplining their child for doing the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom