DHS Permits

Siren

OMG, I can't believe Disney has already filed permits for the foundation of SWL. I think it's so awesome that Disney decided to open both Star Wars Lands at the same time -- this was very important to me.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
OMG, I can't believe Disney has already filed permits for the foundation of SWL. I think it's so awesome that Disney decided to open both Star Wars Lands at the same time -- this was very important to me.

Where did you hear that they plan to open them at the same time? Rumor is that they will open about 6 months apart, and based on current construction progress that seems reasonable.

Goofyernmost

Where did you hear that they plan to open them at the same time? Rumor is that they will open about 6 months apart, and based on current construction progress that seems reasonable.
The solution, of course, is decide which park that one wants to be in for the opening. Go to that when it opens and pretend that the other one opened at the same time. If people can live in the illusion that they are both in the same degree of completion they can easily imagine that.

Siren

Thanks @danlb_2000. I just heard that both parks were opening in 2019, whereas before, Disneyland's SWL was supposed to open at least a year earlier.

Six months apart isn't too bad. This is really great news.

I don't know the source on this one, unless she is assuming that since Disney said they would open in 2019 that they would both open at the same time.
Yes. It's not a big deal. Thank you so much for clarifying everything. This is so exciting!!!

Kamikaze

Thanks @danlb_2000. I just heard that both parks were opening in 2019, whereas before, Disneyland's SWL was supposed to open at least a year earlier.

Six months apart isn't too bad. This is really great news.

Yes. It's not a big deal. Thank you so much for clarifying everything. This is so exciting!!!

They are Lands, not Parks.

He's just estimating the 6 months. DLR has basically an entire year of a head start on 'real' work done on SWL. It will be open in DLR early 2019. I can even see soft openings in 2018. They were targetting late 2018 as a possible opening date if everything went smoothly. While it looks like it has, its much easier to market 'Coming in 2019' for both then to say 'Well, ones coming in late 2018 and the other sometime in 2019.'

SWL at DHS (or whatever its called then) will be much later in 2019, and some have said maybe 2020.

The problem is, with people like Fresh Baked Disney able to do updates of the DLR progress, its much harder to do updates of the DHS progress (I guess the PizzaRizzo balcony gives some decent shots, though) but the progress at DLR is much, much further along. They haven't even finished all the demo at DHS yet.

Last edited:

Goingdown13

They are Lands, not Parks.

He's just estimating the 6 months. DLR has basically an entire year of a head start on 'real' work done on SWL. It will be open in DLR early 2019. I can even see soft openings in 2018. They were targetting late 2018 as a possible opening date if everything went smoothly. While it looks like it has, its much easier to market 'Coming in 2019' for both then to say 'Well, ones coming in late 2018 and the other sometime in 2019.'

SWL at DHS (or whatever its called then) will be much later in 2019, and some have said maybe 2020.

The problem is, with people like Fresh Baked Disney able to do updates of the DLR progress, its much harder to do updates of the DHS progress (I guess the PizzaRizzo balcony gives some decent shots, though) but the progress at DLR is much, much further along. They haven't even finished all the demo at DHS yet.

What is left to demo?

Goingdown13

Things are shaping up quickly on that side of the park. Wouldn't be surprised if they were 2 months apart, also wouldn't be surprised if they're 6 months apart. But they're moving quick

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Things are shaping up quickly on that side of the park. Wouldn't be surprised if they were 2 months apart, also wouldn't be surprised if they're 6 months apart. But they're moving quick

Based on the aerial photos we have seen of SWL, it didn't look quick at all. Unless they have picked up the pace I since the last photos I would say they are at least 6 months apart if not more.

Kamikaze

Look at the latest aerial of DHS' SWL and then take a look at this video:

If you think they can get to the point that DLR is in two months, I have very bad news for you. DLR started demo over 8 months before DHS. Yes, they have the River to deal with as well, but that is going to be open rather soon. And DLR historically works at a much faster pace than WDW. Not to mention they have dates that they NEED to hit to get the $1b from Anaheim. I don't see any way they open within 6 months of each other. But I also think that they are going to be dragging their feet to hold til 2019 at DLR. Another 18 months of construction would still only be Sept 2018, and based on where they are, that seems like a very achievable goal if they wanted to hit it.

mm121

Still pretty dumb to stagger the openings, IMO, but it is what it is I guess. Unless DHS can pick up the pace ;)

Not really that dumb, by staggering they may be able to get two trips out of some hard core Star Wars fans.

So its a win win $$$ wise

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom