DHS Permits

Rteetz

I think that is for utility work, and it was there well before the permit was filed for the crane foundations. I am pretty sure one crane is being assembled over where we see the crane lifting a piece. If there were simply staging the parks I doubt they would put them there.
Good point. We need these aerials to be a couple hours later. The crane is lifting the pieces off when these photos were being taken.

So I am guessing it goes in this vicinity.

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 7.05.15 PM.png

roj2323

Yes. The addresses and the contractors on the permit made it seem it was for TSL, but it makes more sense for SWL.
having seen a few videos of all the steel going into SWL at disneyland I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see more than one tower crane go up in that area.

Goofyernmost

You guys keep talking about tower cranes and I cannot think of a single thing that they would need a tower crane for in either TSL or SWL. Mobile boom cranes should be able to handle anything that they need to do in those places. Tower cranes usually rise with the construction or are used in tight spaces. Nothing like that appears to be needed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You guys keep talking about tower cranes and I cannot think of a single thing that they would need a tower crane for in either TSL or SWL. Mobile boom cranes should be able to handle anything that they need to do in those places. Tower cranes usually rise with the construction or are used in tight spaces. Nothing like that appears to be needed.
In this case I don't think it is a height issue, but a reach issue. A tower crane will be able to reach nearly the entire site from a single point. The tower crane might be a little overkill, but it might be the best option since cost is not all that much of an issue.

Clamman73

Maybe for these taller structures in the concept art.
Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 12.13.58 PM.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

We are talking about tower cranes because we know based on permits that they are being installed somewhere in one of this projects.

Goofyernmost

We are talking about tower cranes because we know based on permits that they are being installed somewhere in one of this projects.
I will be anxious to see exactly what they use them for. It seems like there is nothing that can be over 200 ft, high without having flashing lights. You can almost use a step ladder to reach that high. (exaggeration, of course and sad that I felt that I needed to say that) I guess if they are going to use just one crane to do the whole project it would work, but, what happens when two things are needed at once? They are slow enough building as it is.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I will be anxious to see exactly what they use them for. It seems like there is nothing that can be over 200 ft, high without having flashing lights. You can almost use a step ladder to reach that high. (exaggeration, of course and sad that I felt that I needed to say that) I guess if they are going to use just one crane to do the whole project it would work, but, what happens when two things are needed at once? They are slow enough building as it is.

The permit indicates more then one.

Goofyernmost

The permit indicates more then one.
Not arguing the point, but, it seems to me that the time that it would take to maneuver the boom to the needed locations they could have moved a mobile crane quicker, but, there is a good chance that they have a procedure that makes it faster. Of course with a tower crane it will always be visible, no hiding that at any time, but I guess with this project they really don't have to. Set up takes a lot longer, but, I would think that they only have to do it once.

roj2323

Not arguing the point, but, it seems to me that the time that it would take to maneuver the boom to the needed locations they could have moved a mobile crane quicker, but, there is a good chance that they have a procedure that makes it faster. Of course with a tower crane it will always be visible, no hiding that at any time, but I guess with this project they really don't have to. Set up takes a lot longer, but, I would think that they only have to do it once.

That's the basic idea. They had two tower cranes at DAK for Avatar land which could reach all of the areas with steel structure going in. I suspect it will be a similar situation at Starwars land because it will allow for much easier construction on the steel structure that will be over 100ft tall in some places. Additionally mobil cranes take up considerably more room on the ground which could potentially slow the project, something which I think they deffinetly want to avoid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom