DHS New Fireworks Launch Area

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 , consult Google maps. Distance from the main firing site to Ball Road 638 ft and 736 ft to the shoulder of the 5 Freeway.
Yup. Well within considered safe tolerances. With the low lifts considerably further inside the park. Here we are talking low lifts 200ft from the road. Not to mention the risk from standing smoke.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. I think all the pieces need to be put together. Nothing I can discuss yet.

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
I'm sure they're in good hands. They have TOP men working on this right now.

hqdefault.jpg

toolsnspools

While not a great solution, they could re-route traffic around BB. Going south would be Buena Vista to Osceola, and north would be the opposite. That path could handle a medium volume of traffic for a 20 minute window. Aren't improvements to Osceola part of the overall plan anyway?

Smiddimizer

I think Disney should use a lot more close prox in the show in addition to the larger shells. As a Pyrotech myself I love being close to the action. Small fall out is ok and unpreventable. Larger isnt as much fun LOL. You should see some of the fallout I was hit with one day at Kingdom. This is what came down in Magic Kingdom one night.

88_EC013_F_41_E6_4366_9622_C99_DC050_F40_B.jpg

9_E42_E07_C_008_B_44_EF_8_FA4_963049268_D2_C.jpg

One of those buggers got me right in the face one night during Illuminations. Hurt like a....Perdita.

Rob562

So I had a bit of a "blue sky" armchair-Imagineering idea on my drive to work this morning...

A long time ago there were rumors/speculation/armchair-Imagineering about expanding the Studios over top of World Drive. Obviously this would be a monumental undertaking to create the infrastructure changes to allow buildings, etc to be elevated above the roadway. Expanding Guest areas over World Drive wouldn't work in this case, since it'd be putting Guests into the fallout area that they're creating.

But what if they ran with the concept of *covering* World Drive in that stretch? It wouldn't have to be as structurally immense as a park expansion would. It'd just have to be structurally significant enough to support a lightweight fireproof roof. An array of highway sign support truss would probably be adequate, and economically feasible. They could then decorate/theme this structure in some way to make it more visually appealing to motorists than just a roof over the highway.

This wouldn't solve the issue of low-level smoke causing a visibility issue on the roadway, but that might be addressed with using the ALF system.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...

-Rob

Last edited:

dstrawn9889

the only reason World drive was covered in pyrodex fumes (smoke) is because of the wind in the area... now that the launch site is on the OTHER side of the road, less likely

JohnD

the only reason World drive was covered in pyrodex fumes (smoke) is because of the wind in the area... now that the launch site is on the OTHER side of the road, less likely

Why would that be? I really don't mean to be flippant but the wind has just as much chance of blowing east over World Drive as any other direction.

Tom

Beta Return
sounds like a cost and inconvenience and traffic nightmare

world drive is like the lifeline of the entire property

Right. It's simply not feasible to close World Drive for fireworks. It's essentially a highway, and is absolutely the main thoroughfare for most of the guest traffic. It's simply not going to be closed.

bjm72385

Yup. Well within considered safe tolerances. With the low lifts considerably further inside the park. Here we are talking low lifts 200ft from the road. Not to mention the risk from standing smoke.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. I think all the pieces need to be put together. Nothing I can discuss yet.
Gonna go out on a limb here but I wonder if a re-routing of World Drive could be possibly included with the reconfiguration of the Osceola Parkway/World Drive interchange along with the new entrance for HS? As bizarre as that sounds, it makes about as much sense to me as the location for this new firework launch area.

toolsnspools

Right. It's simply not feasible to close World Drive for fireworks. It's essentially a highway, and is absolutely the main thoroughfare for most of the guest traffic. It's simply not going to be closed.
I agree, but it's also not really feasible to run a fireworks show next to a main thoroughfare. Can't wait for details to unfold as the DHS makeover becomes reality...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom