DHS New Fireworks Launch Area

Well if you look at the area around the launchers for MK, it's mostly all trees, I pass by it everyday passing the MK cast member parking lot. I sometimes forget about the MK fireworks so while I'm driving through the back I forget and I end up having to turn around due to the fallout zones and roads being shut down. However with today's technology, I'm sure there could be a way to bring the fireworks closer. When you think about it, the set up for the fireworks at MK are meant to go all the above the castle, while with DHS, we don't need them that high at all, of course, this really just comes down to specs. Since we know that the trailer has pyro as well as the Chinese roof for the CP Pyro.

Kman101

So this is leading towards a new fireworks show that would be bigger in scope than the norm? Would fireworks nightly do anything to how often Fantasmic runs? Is that getting enhanced, changed, or done away with?

Well in regards to Fantasmic, I heard through the grapevine that it's getting looked into for something fresh, just like they are prepping a brand new show to replace wishes. (Thank God it's about time)

Kman101

dhs-01-jpg.121537

My guess is that a new park entrance leading directly into SWL will be on the Green line, the new axis for the park.

The new park icon would be around where the Sci Fi restaurant is currently located.

Why would they go through with a new entrance and icon? It defeats the purpose of Hollywood Boulevard. Maybe it will be an EXIT. I think we've heard entrance itself wouldn't change but information is so all over the place maybe we will but I don't see why they would.

bweaver1985

But you are not showing the launch areas that are closer to the road.

Agreed. Anything is possible. However even with the permit documents for the smaller and closer pads it appears it will still work as long as they don't encroach on the road. Obviously the 10" will be the furthest. I only had a few minutes to make map before i left the office so yea who knows.

Kman101

Well in regards to Fantasmic, I heard through the grapevine that it's getting looked into for something fresh, just like they are prepping a brand new show to replace wishes. (Thank God it's about time)

Agreed on both. I like them but it's time ... and can they please get busy doing something with Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast shows? LOL

Yes when I heard last week that they were already planning a new wishes show I got extremely excited! In regards to Beauty and The Beast, I'm not quite sure if you heard but the original plan was to launch the Tangled musical in Disney cruises, and if it becomes a success (which it did) then it would replace the current beauty and the beast show. Little
Mermaid was said to be swapped but that is something that really hasn't been planned fully yet since as you can imagine, focus is on TSL & SWL.

bweaver1985

I think Disney should use a lot more close prox in the show in addition to the larger shells. As a Pyrotech myself I love being close to the action. Small fall out is ok and unpreventable. Larger isnt as much fun LOL. You should see some of the fallout I was hit with one day at Kingdom. This is what came down in Magic Kingdom one night.

88_EC013_F_41_E6_4366_9622_C99_DC050_F40_B.jpg

9_E42_E07_C_008_B_44_EF_8_FA4_963049268_D2_C.jpg

Kman101

Yes when I heard last week that they were already planning a new wishes show I got extremely excited! In regards to Beauty and The Beast, I'm not quite sure if you heard but the original plan was to launch the Tangled musical in Disney cruises, and if it becomes a success (which it did) then it would replace the current beauty and the beast show. Little
Mermaid was said to be swapped but that is something that really hasn't been planned fully yet since as you can imagine, focus is on TSL & SWL.

Thanks for the info. I know plans are always fluid and could change but it's nice to hear at least all of these things are being discussed and considered. Wasn't there also talk of upgrading Beauty and the Beast to a more Broadway-like show? I'd guess that was the plan if Tangled doesn't work out. But I just re-watched Tangled and it remains a really good movie. I still like it better than Frozen and would love a musical. I don't see the runtime being as long as the cruise line show though ... LOL

Well the Tangled switch for DHS is supposed to actually happen since Managers in DHS are hearing this info as well. It should be happening..the only reason I could see it not working out would be if either 1. Disney gets lazy or 2. Disney focuses more attention on the bigger projects.

Next Big Thing

I see 8 small firework storage sheds down the right of the blueprint. Makes a ton of sense, considering they would otherwise have to transport from behind MK every day. I'm surprised at how close they are to World Drive though. I wonder if there will be a berm.
I actually wonder if there will one day be plans to re-route World Drive and incorporate what is currently the road as part of the park.

jrhwdw

Anything new on the replacement? Is Davidson doing it? Is this Wishes' last Christmas???? If it is, I'll sure miss the Castle Dream Lights and the strobes that came with it in the Finale! PLEASE MK put the Dream Lights in the new show in Nov and Dec!

As for DHS, interesting choice for launch sites. At first I thought DHS wanted SW Pyro in SWL but not if Toy Story is back there. It looks to me there are more launch sites in the new place than DHS has now, true? Wonder if they'll look farther away from the front of the park now if the sight-lines do match..

How long do we think itll take for DHS to move over there? I'm assuming the new sites need to be firing so DHS can start the heavy construction and we all know the sooner the better. Symphony is weeks away, wonder what site that will use?(No times yet online which worries me a tiny bit)

As for fallout, I have a story, not the same thing but MGM related . Back in 1994, Spectro was at 8, and Sorcery was at 8:50. We watched Spectro then went back to our hotel offsite, and drove right past Sorcery. I don't remember any fallout on world drive, it might have been loud though. IDK if that impacts driving.

Tom

Beta Return
I don't think those are all sheds. Here are large versions of the plan where the labels are clearer. I assume the pads are the launch areas.

View attachment 121507 View attachment 121508 View attachment 121509

Thanks for the higher-res images. It's very clear now.

Pads A-G are launch pads for smaller shells, with one Conex container among them, likely for temporary storage for that night's show (to protect from rain until tubes are loaded). Then a pad each for 6", 8" and 10" shells going back along the leg of the "T". A small block building, which is probably the local control booth for the launch site, is near the large-shell pads.

This is definitely a hefty launch site, for big shows.

bweaver1985

Like that has ever happened before. Now DHS can get their own screaming CM'S. On an aside, it is pretty neat when they flood the roofs around Philharmagic.

I have seen wishes from a VIP watching location where they control the sprinklers and close prox fireworks it was defiantly interesting, and to see what powers the fireworks system. Let me just say an older version of Windows.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom