DHS CARS LAND

Wikkler

But when people go to Disney World they expect it to be ALL DISNEY!
They're like "Twilight Zone? This isn't Disney! Somebody made a mistake!"
Same for Space Mountain, Carousel of Progress (Ironically), It's a Small World, the Haunted Mansion, Tom Sawyer Island, Country Bear Jamboree, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, The Rivers of America Cruise, The Jungle Cruise (Ironically again), Enchanted Tiki Room (Again, ironically), Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse (I know it's Disney but how many guests have seen the movie? 1.), Everything in Epcot except for the character meet and greets, Everything in Animal Kingdom except for Bug's Life, Dinosaur, and the character meet and greets, Lights, Motors, Action, the Backlot Tour, The Great Movie Ride, Rockin' Roller Coaster and Star To... oh wait nevermind.
Pirates of the Caribbean doesn't count anymore because now people think they made the ride based on the movie series.:eek:

Goofyernmost

I know but to have everything be Disney is a little over the top for me.
So if you go into a Starbucks store do you expect to see a Dunkin Donut coffee dispenser? Were Indiana Jones, Tot, RcRC, or for that matter did the Muppets or Toy Story start out as a Disney property? How many of the movies in The Great Movie Ride were Disney movies?

Wikkler

So if you go into a Starbucks store do you expect to see a Dunkin Donut coffee dispenser? Were Indiana Jones, Tot, RcRC, or for that matter did the Muppets or Toy Story start out as a Disney property? How many of the movies in The Great Movie Ride were Disney movies?

0. Not my point. It's not just Disney's Disney Studios. It's Disney's Hollywood Studios. Can we please keep the Disney rides to Animation Courtyard? Or will the average guest complain that it isn't Disney enough? Tune in next time to "Wikkler the Ranter".

Goofyernmost

0. Not my point. It's not just Disney's Disney Studios. It's Disney's Hollywood Studios. Can we please keep the Disney rides to Animation Courtyard? Or will the average guest complain that it isn't Disney enough? Tune in next time to "Wikkler the Ranter".
Honestly, I don't think most will even notice. It's a Disney Theme Park about movies and except for the fact that originally it was supposed to be a "working" Disney Studio..they have pretty much stuck with the theme. I don't see where it is all Disney anyway.

doctornick

Honestly, I don't think most will even notice. It's a Disney Theme Park about movies and except for the fact that originally it was supposed to be a "working" Disney Studio..they have pretty much stuck with the theme. I don't see where it is all Disney anyway.

Right. But there are some people who argue that it should be "all Disney". I personally don't agree with that and I think most people are fine with other entertainment IP being in the park in addition to Disney. It enhances it, it doesn't take away from it.

Goofyernmost

Right. But there are some people who argue that it should be "all Disney". I personally don't agree with that and I think most people are fine with other entertainment IP being in the park in addition to Disney. It enhances it, it doesn't take away from it.
The key to that is the name...Disney's Hollywood Studios has a different identity then Disney Hollywood Studio. The actual name implies that these are a grouping of Hollywood Studios whereas Disney Hollywood Studio implies nothing but Disney. Just adding the 's' to the end completely changed the expectations. Ain't grammar a fun thing?

CDavid

But when people go to Disney World they expect it to be ALL DISNEY!

People go to Disney for Disney, but that doesn't mean everything is supposed to be associated with a Disney franchise (character, movie tie-in, etc.). Guests are looking for restaurants, shops, attractions, and other places designed and operated by Disney, not outside interests. People want Columbia Harbour House, not Long John Silver's, or Liberty Inn instead of McDonald's.

So, not a thing in the world wrong with Twilight Zone at the Tower of Terror; It's still very much a Disney attraction. And again, no problem with Spaceship Earth or Space Mountain either. All are completely 100% Disney, they're just not part of a franchise, nor should they be (that would actually be a problem, frankly, especially at Epcot).

Everything (or practically everything) should indeed be by Disney (and that includes Downtown Disney); Most things should properly not have a character/IP/franchise connection, however.

ctxak98

People go to Disney for Disney, but that doesn't mean everything is supposed to be associated with a Disney franchise (character, movie tie-in, etc.). Guests are looking for restaurants, shops, attractions, and other places designed and operated by Disney, not outside interests. People want Columbia Harbour House, not Long John Silver's, or Liberty Inn instead of McDonald's.

So, not a thing in the world wrong with Twilight Zone at the Tower of Terror; It's still very much a Disney attraction. And again, no problem with Spaceship Earth or Space Mountain either. All are completely 100% Disney, they're just not part of a franchise, nor should they be (that would actually be a problem, frankly, especially at Epcot).

Everything (or practically everything) should indeed be by Disney (and that includes Downtown Disney); Most things should properly not have a character/IP/franchise connection, however.
YESSSS! 100% agree. People who think everything at DISNEY should be DISNEY...oh man. I would probably go crazy if mickey mouse and the gang were on everything I saw there. I would probably run for my life to UNI! Its cool to have the entire theme of Disney and have the characters in spurts but every attraction has its own story including restaurants and shops. I go to Disney for TOT, Haunted Mansion, Dinosaur, EE, GMR, KS, EPCOT....most of those things have nothing to do with characters....and they are Fabulous...still Disney though!

Mike730

The name practically just changed to DHS, way after the park was already filled with random properties owned by Disney.

The original park wasn't themed specifically to Hollywood either, it was supposed to be like a working studio (still in the name).

Much of the park has nothing to do with old Hollywood. Pixar place, Animation Courtyard, and all the miscellaneous out of place attractions cant just be taken away to have the park match it's name.

I think the best thing we can hope for at this point is some organization so at least the "lands" make sense. There are a lot more Disney properties than just Mickey and the gang that can be used.

If anything we should all just agree that....

DHS is just a really stupid name and it should just be Disney Studios or something like that.

Wikkler

I indeed meant Disney IP franchise when I said "All Disney"

The Empress Lilly

We have Magic Kingdom to dump all the Disney stuff, why put it in DHS...?
If you want to put Disney stuff in DHS, at least keep it to Animation Courtyard or otherwise they might as well rename it "Disney's Disney Studios"
Yes!

And for the sake of semantics: 'Disney' is not just 'cartoon franchise'. Spaceship Earth, paddlewheel steam boats, World Showcase, Main Street are every bit as much *Disney* - nay, more so! - as cartoonland toilets and merchandise-driven toddler toon franchises.

RSoxNo1

When I think Disney, I think the idealized version of something. The Magic Kingdom is intended to be the idealized version of each of the 6 lands. Epcot is supposed to represent the idealized version of the future and the countries represented in World Showcase. Animal Kingdom is meant to represent the idealized continents of Africa and Asia.

MGM Studios opened with the attempt of representing Hollywood "not as a place on a map but a state of mind." That screams idealized version to me. Initially this mean a tour of working studios, and because it was a Disney park this meant a focus on animation. Now, liberties can be taken so that the front half of the park represent how we envision Hollywood of the 30s, 40s and 50s. With the introduction of Pixar Place a concept for the back half of the park begun to take place, it just wasn't really completed. I think taking a similar approach to Epcot with two distinct sections is really the way to go. Conceptually the front half remains the golden age of Hollywood while the back half represents idealized versions of various studios, the most obvious being Pixar and Lucas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom