DHS Aerial View

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sure, but what is it replacing that had any real guts recently. I know that you can and do get behind new things that have no impact on things that you like, but, it's the things that are a replacement that tend to get boggled down. I always thought that "Toad" was the cheapest, road side fun house ride possible, in a place like Disney, it just screamed cheap cardboard cutout to me. By comparison Pooh is better in my mind, and I don't even care for it that much either. 20K was a great loss, not because we eventually got a good, albeit short, coaster, but because it was so unique and literally immersive. Was 7DMT an improvement, hard to say, because it is so completely different that it is nearly impossible to compare, but, in my mind, quality wise, it is very well done. So how does one judge that... it is based on personal enjoyment, not fact. New technology has changed things, the public's desires have changed things. Right now there is upset because the theming of the TSL coaster is that of a toy left in the backyard out in the open. It is a perfect theme, but, not to many folks. When all is said and done, none of these things are anything other then things to do in a themed amusement park. We all need to smell the daisies, once in awhile, instead just looking for the roses.
When alls said and done it's down to personal opinion.

JediMasterMatt

What are your thoughts on Pandora? I may have missed them, but do you expect SWL to blow away Pandora or be on par?

Pandora is very, very nice. In my opinion for Disney, it's not quite as spectacular as Cars Land since it's lacking the huge panoramic vista of Ornament Valley that really transport you into a different world. The viewing angles are very tight in Pandora. What is on display is very impressive and it has some great moments; but, it's really odd in how restrictive the views are in the land. What is there is more vertical in spectacle. Perhaps, it was designed around a smart phone portrait mode world. Another unfortunate by product of the IP, is that being in a "jungle" planet in Florida isn't quite as impressive as it would be say if Pandora were to be in Disneyland (ew, I just had a cold chill go up my spine). More greenery in a park already bountiful in chlorophyll just doesn't have the same impact that seeing mountains in Los Angeles has for transporting you away.

So, the modern US based theme park pantheon of the new "Lands" - I would probably rank them like Diagon Alley>Cars Land>Pandora = Hogsmeade (loses some cohesiveness for being shoehorned into an existing space with some of the old leftovers detracting from the integration - which, a major flaw in the plan will be corrected shortly at the loss of one brilliant coaster and one really good one) in terms of being awe inspiring seamless other worldly destinations that guests can visit. It's not a slight to Pandora as all four of these are the best that the modern approach at theme park world building can offer.

With that out of the way, SWL will certainly knock the socks off of anyone. I've gone on record that it will be more Diagon Alley than it will Cars Land. Much more vertical spaces and narrower alleyways than the panoramic vistas. There is going to be an excessive amount of detail on offer. It should feel like stepping into another world. The plan is to have multiple layers of thematic interactivity with Cast and Guests all playing a part (Renaissance Fair in space?). The two attractions should satisfy even the most jaded as the "lowly" Falcon, while being a mere simulator, should excel at making everyone feel like they just took a trip on the most well known "piece of junk" in the galaxy and the "other" attraction should hit it out of the park. Both of these attractions should easily exceed the high in quality/short in quantity River Journey and the excellent but still a simulator Flight of Passage.

My only concerns about SWL is if WDW will be willing to keep paying to operate it as intended - with the full gamut of streetmosphere on offer and for how long.

Last edited:

RAXIP

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster being painted blue.
IMG_0890.JPG

sedati

It's odd because the blue building isn't Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. That's the new Sunset Showcase and it's always been blue.

*edit* the RNRC tunnel and load buildings are in fact being painted blue.

Last edited:

roj2323

It's odd because the blue building isn't Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. That's the new Sunset Showcase and it's always been blue.

Sunset showcase is the pale green building in the background.

Look at the Coaster soundstage and then look at the bottom right corner of the big building. THe long blue building is attached to Coaster and is the launch and brake run area of the ride. They are not imagining things, the building is being painted blue, we just don't yet know if it will be the entire building or just part of it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Why? This clearly indicates that Aerosmith is being replaced by the Blue Man Group.

BMG is Universal. This has to be in preparation for a Stitch overlay.

Or Genie from Aladdin.

Or a Na'vi coaster in a runaway unobtanium mine cart.

Or a Chasing Dory ride.

Or a Blue Fairy ride.

Or a Sadness ride.

Or a trip to hell! That is, a Hades ride.

Or a Frozen ride.

Or a Sully from Monsters ride... Hey! I heard a rumor they were converting RnRC to a Monstropolis Hanging Doors coaster!!!

sedati

Sunset showcase is the pale green building in the background.

Look at the Coaster soundstage and then look at the bottom right corner of the big building. THe long blue building is attached to Coaster and is the launch and brake run area of the ride. They are not imagining things, the building is being painted blue, we just don't yet know if it will be the entire building or just part of it.

Thank you- I am incorrect and will edit my original post. I was only looking at the coaster building as that's the only one I could imagine having any effect of site-lines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom