Demolition of Cantina begins Jan 4

hpyhnt 1000

Thank you. :lol:

Does it have to be a lightbulb? ;)

I've always wondered about that for the next generation of IllumiNations show. While outlining the pavilions with lights is neat, how about for the next incarnation they use projections and/or lasers to outline or light up the pavilions in addition to the lights? We see what is possible if we look at DLR Space Mountain or DLP Wishes. The original IllumiNations even used a limited form of that kind of projection tech. It would be great to see it applied full scale for every pavilion (even Morocco). :)

EPCOT Explorer

I've always wondered about that for the next generation of IllumiNations show. While outlining the pavilions with lights is neat, how about for the next incarnation they use projections and/or lasers to outline or light up the pavilions in addition to the lights? We see what is possible if we look at DLR Space Mountain or DLP Wishes. The original IllumiNations even used a limited form of that kind of projection tech. It would be great to see it applied full scale for every pavilion (even Morocco). :)

YES PLEASE! :lol:

While WoC seems to be pulling out all the stops in the newwest and best of WATER technology, I would kill to see a new IllumiNations that is based in pyro and lights. There are so many fantastic things in the industry right now that really need to be utilized.

hpyhnt 1000

YES PLEASE! :lol:

While WoC seems to be pulling out all the stops in the newwest and best of WATER technology, I would kill to see a new IllumiNations that is based in pyro and lights. There are so many fantastic things in the industry right now that really need to be utilized.

-whistles-

Projections, lasers, and lights on the pavilions; fireworks interlaced with lasers in the sky; jets of fire and water (with possible projection effects) on the surface of the lagoon.

What a nighttime show that would be, basically combining and "plusing" the best elements from every version of IllumiNations. :)

EPCOT Explorer

-whistles-

Projections, lasers, and lights on the pavilions; fireworks interlaced with lasers in the sky; jets of fire and water (with possible projection effects) on the surface of the lagoon.

What a nighttime show that would be, basically combining and "plusing" the best elements from every version of IllumiNations. :)

Exactly. Keep our score. Add visuals and effects. There is SO much that can be done with the middle section of our show that would keep it as delicate and subtle as it now, but with much more to look at.

The same for Celebration, even. And the beginning of We Go On.

:D

I know it's not my field and a reasonable goal, but can I PLEASE work for WDI!? :lol:

EPCOTPluto

OK, I will admit something. I have never eaten over in the Catina, so I can't give out a realistic perspective on the food or service, respectfully. However, I will say one thing about it: For the scarce number of times I have been there, that place was a mess. The lines for buying a simple taco there were immensely long, winding out to the pathways and thus created a traffic block. The actual tables overseeing WS Lagoon were cramped and claustrophobic, had traces of bird poo everywhere and did not seem to be a great place to watch Illuminations on any given night. For this refurb, I hope they would at least fix three of the four problems I listed here. I forgot why I could not remember looking around the Catina recently. I would then remember why the second I intrude the seating area. :dazzle:

Rob562

I will say, though, that the kid's platter was an excellent snack when I was on that side of World Showcase (and didn't feel like my usual egg rolls from China). Small chicken quesadilla, tortilla chips and a small soda for $5, can't go wrong.

-Rob

I doubt that this refurb will dissapoint because obviously they are going to make the area more operationally viable and in all liklihood the area will be themed very well. I mean look what they did with a simple fry cart in frontierland. That place is themed beautifully and it's just a cart.

Cantina del San Angel Rocks!

No, it's not. Not if you've ever been to south Texas or Mexico. This is Epcot, not Taco Bell.

Come to think of it, Taco Bell tastes better. :rolleyes:

Been to both South Texas and Mexico (didn't eat in Mexico itself though). More so, have eaten a lot in Arizona and New Mexico at family establishments. Was quite sad to see Don Pablos eaten by Baja del Sol here. Though we discovered a local immigrant/2nd-gen family's new place here that serves up authentic Jalisco-style Mexican food, Rancho Alegre.

Cantina del San Angel is some pretty decent Mexican food. It's my family's must-eat place. Now granted, we don't feast in France or have ever been to Le Cellier, but we think the quality is pretty good. We do agree that quality over the decades has declined some (good memories of a Cantina worker shouting "Andale! Andale!" for a sopapilla for his little pelirojo redhead friend - me when I was 6 that is). We actually think the Cantina might edge out the Inn in quality.

I know I really liked our meals there in 2006. Nice tacos and rice. And can I say? Churros, churros, churros!

My parents ordered a birthday cake ahead for our last day there in the Inn, right on my birthday, and we got to sit right on the river watching the boats and volcano.

So while quality may have waned, we still love our Mexico pavillion. My parents are going to be really bummed that the Cantina will be closed when they go.

However, I will say one thing about it: For the scarce number of times I have been there, that place was a mess. The lines for buying a simple taco there were immensely long, winding out to the pathways and thus created a traffic block.

I agree the current layout is cramped, but I think long lines are a testament to it being a popular place.

Germany, China, Mexico, and U.K. really are the only pavillions with quick service aren't they too? (U.S. as well, but why eat there when I have almost a dozen nations around).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree the current layout is cramped, but I think long lines are a testament to it being a popular place.

Germany, China, Mexico, and U.K. really are the only pavillions with quick service aren't they too? (U.S. as well, but why eat there when I have almost a dozen nations around).
All of them have it in some form or another but menu's can vary from full meals to simple snacks or deserts.

Rob562

All of them have it in some form or another but menu's can vary from full meals to simple snacks or deserts.

There's definitely a broad range of counter service in WS:

Some places like China, Japan, American Adventure, Morocco and Mexico have a "full menu" Counter Service place, with many menu choices. (Personally, Japan's Yakitori House is my favorite counter service in World Showcase)

France and Norway have bakeries that include a couple sandwich options. (Though I'll admit, Norway's bakery has MANY more sandwich options than France's)

Some have barely more than a snack counter with only one or two non-snack options, like Germany and the UK.

And then there's Canada and Italy, with no non-snack Counter Service locations at all. (And I wouldn't count Refreshment Port as being part of Canada) At least in Italy they're in the process of rectifying the situation.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom