Deluxe Resort Pricing

WDWspider

Do you consider Walt Disney Deluxe Resorts to be priced too high? Do not consider Codes or discounts of any kind... I mean rack rates. Please explain your answer if you want.

MouseMadness

Re: Rates

Originally posted by kennyj29
We wait now till the discounted price comes out and we go off season and we get to stay practically where we want!! I know you can't when you have kids in school but when they get older, you will be able to. Don't fret!!!!!

I may be misinterpreting what you mean, but here's a thought (and thread drift).... My plan is to always go in the off season, even though the kids will be in school. My girls' preschool teacher said he takes his kids out every year because they have kept their grades up and it is both an incentive and a reward for them for doing so. He said for the crowds and prices you have to deal with in the peak season, it's just not worth it. So I'm hoping it will be an incentive to my kids as well, to know that if they do well, vacation will break up their school year! Not just vacation.. but a Disney vacation!!!

Upvote 0

kennyj29

I took the kids out of school a couple of times also. I've also had teachers giving me a real HARD time about it. They threatened that it's not a school related trip and that they could prevent it. How about if all the kids were taken out of class to go to Disney for a week. You wouldn't beleive some of them!!! The one's that were nice, we took them out. We always made sure they were given homework on the trip for them to do at night. We liked off season so that the parks usually closed early and they could do it. Let me tell you though, I'm glad your kids teachers are nice but I've hit some real bummers!!!

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Wow... WOW!! That is pretty amazing... I've never had trouble, but the kids are quite small yet. Without getting too into it and causing trouble, I will say that we're in catholic school... perhaps that lends to the more forgiving atmosphere! I can't see why it would be such a burden to the teacher... you get the kids homework, they make up any missed tests... seems to me it would be one less kid to worry about for the week. I would give 'em hell... explain that this is our family vacation, what do I care of all the kids took the week off? You schedule your vacation when you spend your time and money when you can, and teachers-whom you pay-can surely accomodate that. *MM ducks to hide from all the incoming flack* I would llike to know why it is so frowned upon. God forbid we give the kids a break... particularly if they are not hurting in school.

Fire away, irate teachers!!

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
The rooms cost what they cost. We'd all gladly pay less if we could. And with the discount codes, it makes the deluxes much more offordable.

I've stayed outside the world, I'll never do that again. No magic, not fun, pain in the but traffic. Never again.

I'd gladly pay the discounted deluxe costs, it's all worth it to me.

I just booked our October trip, AKL concierge for 7 nights, and it was over $3300! And that's room only. :dazzle: We will not be paying that of course, that's the cost with the DC discount. When the codes come out that will drop even with a package.

So yep, it's expensive, but a $50 offsite hotel cannot compaire to the magic of WDW! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Nansafan

The only place I can think of that has wonderfully themed resorts at half or even less the price is Las Vegas. The rates at the Disney Deluxe are comparable to what you'd pay in downtown Chicago for a hotel without the benefit of the Mickey Mouse wake up call, character breakfasts, transportation all over. I think it's worth it. I've stayed at the Hotel Royal Plaza our first 2 trips to WDW and the hotel was very nice. Then we stayed at the Poly. I'll never go back to a non-Disney hotel again. In June for my brother's 40th birthday, we will be staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time. We even bit the bullet and booked Concierge. Best way I can think of spending a birthday.

Upvote 0

justynsaunt

Let me say first that I have never stayed at WDW resort. (I will be staying at the Grand Floridian, concierge level, lodge tower room the week before Christmas. According to the GF lodge tower rooms sans concierge were not available with my discount for that time period) I have however stayed at a few 5 star hotels including the Portofino at Universal the week before last Christmas. In planning for this trip I have questioned often the outrageous prices of the Deluxe resorts. (My sister works for an airline so we get a 50% discount on our accomodations. $1700 for 5 nights for 5 people which is the only reason we can afford to stay at the GF and be comfortable)

At the Portofino I paid $129 per night for 4 people. (2 adults and 2 children) I paid for three nights and got the 4th night free. We received a free upgrade to a deluxe standard room that had two queen beds, 32 inch TV, awesome stereo system, lounge chair, small table with two chairs and a lovely view of one of the pools, the gardens and the bacci court. The bathroom was huge with a double sink, a shower and a sunken tub. Okay, we had to drive to Disney but since it was low season that wasn't such a bother. The service was wonderful and not only would I recommend it I know I will stay there again one day.

But after going to the MK and experiencing the Disney Christmas spirit (not to mention seeing the Poly and the GF) I got sucked in and started planning for Christmas 2003. I'm giddy with excitement but the total cost of the accomidations and airfare for the last trip is less than I'm spending on just the GF portion of the upcoming one. Even if I stayed in a garden view room ($339 per night regular price and I would only pay half) I wouldn't get the same level of accomodation that I got at the Portofino. Okay, you do get a balcony but it's still too much.

For what they charge you should get a slightly larger main room, tub and shower with a double sink in the bathroom, and a larger tv. Also, a little continental breakfast for all guests at the resort would not be untoward. You should not have to request a coffee machine or a microwave it should just be there. Just because you may not spend the majority of your time in the room doesn't mean that after a long day at the park you don't want to be comfortable.

I can't wait to have the Disney experience and the family is excited about going too. But I hope that the experience is such that when I look back on it I will feel the expense was worth it.

Upvote 0

swhite

I beleive that the deluxe resorts are just a little too pricey seems to me you are paying for the view ,the closer to the MK the more expensive you can still stay in a Disney hotel and be able to afford to go to the MK not just stare out of your hotel window at it

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I think that the rack rates are high, and if it wasn't for discounts, I know I wouldn't be staying there. I don't know how people can spend 300+ on a night at the Polynesian or more at say the Grand Floridian. it just seems like a lot for a place to sleep. I know the themes and resorts in general are great but if I had to pay rack rates I wouldn't stay there.

Upvote 0

miamimickey72

Florida Residence Specials

Well if You live in Florida you can also wait till the summer and get Florida Residence Rates. Like Animal Kigndom Lodge this past month went on sale for 129.00 a night and the Dolphine & Swan for 129.00 also.

A co-worker of mine stayed at The All Star Movies for 59.00 a night.

So I think that "rack Rates" are more for the people coming in from out of town for the first time. I see the rest of us are smart....we look for coupons and specials.

JC:sohappy:

Upvote 0

justynsaunt

Originally posted by kennyj29
I took the kids out of school a couple of times also. I've also had teachers giving me a real HARD time about it. They threatened that it's not a school related trip and that they could prevent it. How about if all the kids were taken out of class to go to Disney for a week.

Last time I checked if your kids go to private or public school you are essentially paying the teachers salary with tuition money or tax dollars. Therefore, if you want to pull your kids out of school for a week for a family vacation it's your business. We pulled my nephews out the week before Christmas break last year and the teachers didn't make a peep. I would love to know how the teacher was going stop you? Was she going to send a SWAT team to airport to keep your child from boarding the plane?

As long as the child/children make up the work I don't see the problem.

Upvote 0

Scooter

Paying Rack Rates for a Deluxe Resort is like paying the full sticker price for a new car.:hammer:

Disney, much like car dealerships, will take advantage of lazy people who don't do their homework and try to find better deals and/or try and "Barter" for better prices and upgrades.

My wife and I have never paid full rack rate prices for a Deluxe resort and we have been staying at them on our last 8 trips.

Now back to the original question...are the Rack rates too high?

Depends on who you talk to and who you know. If you're wealthy the rates at Disneys Deluxe resorts aren't all that bad compared to say some all inclusive Caribbean spa / resorts.

Personally I don't mind paying top dollar for the conviences I get from some of the Deluxe resorts....especially the Monorail Resorts. That Monorail running thru my air-conditioned Resort seems well worth it to me when it's 95º outside with 100% humidity.

Attitude plays a part also...some people say "Why do I need to spend alot of money for a room where all I do is SLEEP!" That's a very valid point. For those people who sleep until 8 and race to the parks and stay until late at night and just go back to their room to sleep, they don't need to spend big bucks on a deluxe resort as they don't really use the facilities except for sleeping.

My wife and I however, use OUR Deluxe resort as a home base during our trips to WDW. We shop, eat, and relax at our resort. Some times we just take a day off from the parks and spend the day lounging around the resort, swimming and napping at our leisure.

We don't rent a car or drive so Disney Transportation plays a big part in our vacation so we don't mind paying a hefty price for our deluxe room. The Boats, buses, and Monorail all make our lives a little less stressful and are included in the price.

I would rather save my money and go less often and stay at a Deluxe resort than go more often and have to stay off property and deal with the driving back and forth and without the on-property Magic :animwink:

Unfortunately I realize that for some, staying on property, or at a deluxe resort is not an option.:( I hope some day that these people find a way to experiance the magic of staying where the Magic is.

Upvote 0

tiggerlover1971

yes they are very high I remember my parents when I was younger getting the contemporary for a hundred dollars a night now that is unheard of I have stayed in a deluxe WL once in the last five years and that was for my honeymoon I was going to stay at Poly in october but the price was 100 dollars more than wl so we were going to stay there but decided even with AP rates if they get them I would rather have more money to spend so we changed it yet again to POR

Upvote 0
I guess I think the rack rates are high, but how can you not take into account discounts?

I don't know if I've ever met anyone who paid the rack rate for a room at Disney. We've been down 3 times to celebrate New Year's Eve and always got a discount -- even got a discount on the honeymoon suite at WL when we got married which was the week between Christmas and New Year's. Also got a discount on a room for Millenium New Year's Eve at Coronado Springs. We've gotten discounts for the 4th of July and Easter week as well.

I guess maybe if you're going for the actual Christmas holiday you might pay full-price, but that's to be expected.

Upvote 0

WDWspider

Original Poster
Originally posted by Married@WDW
I guess I think the rack rates are high, but how can you not take into account discounts?

I don't know if I've ever met anyone who paid the rack rate for a room at Disney.

This is a good point I want to discuss a bit more.

If, in fact, no one pays Rack Rates, then why not reduce the list price to something more tangible? The families who have yet to visit WDW often give the excuse... the rooms are too expensive. This being limited experience and information based on the prices Disney lists as per night charge.

I feel that Disney should reduce these rates and have fewer discount codes. It seems like a win-win. You will get more first time visitors, and keep delivering the same great prices veteran park goers expect without the additional hassles of codes and special offers (as frequently). I suppose in a booming economy that these rack prices are sound and understandable, but for the past two to four years, the size of Disney suggests that relaxed rates for rooms should be easy to do and a fast way to gain more customers.

Also, if you look in proportion to Moderates and Value resorts, the Deluxe resorts are out of sync. Maybe a new class should be formed. It seems that WL and AKL are on a new level of Resort... the Grand level perhaps? Where Quality and services abound, but there are no Firework viewings, monorail connections, or High Caliber extras.

The main point is... why list rooms at a really high price, if you or your travel agent can get them at just a high price? Do they want to shy some people away?

Upvote 0

smilez4011

The prices are high for my income level, but I believe that they are worth every penny that they charge. Disney's attention to detail is superb and cannot be matched. I have never had a bad experience at one of there Deluxe resorts and I would never stay anywhere else besides on property!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom