Deluxe Hotel, what are you really getting?

eliza61nyc

Boardwalk Inn would actually be Atlantic City Land or Jersey Land ;)

I will pretty much echo what others have already said that is obvious. I've not stayed at a value or modern yet, but I will say just from walking around in a couple, watching videos and reading info on here and Disney's site as well as browsing photos - the Deluxe resorts are themed better for a more immersive experience, have more expansive pool areas, offer more and overall better restaurant options and have much bigger rooms to stay in. Also a very minor detail I have noticed, if I'm not mistaken is that all of the Deluxe resorts' room entries/hallways are inside. Where as the moderate and values have rooms that have entryways/hallways that are outside.

I actually am curious and am contemplating staying at POR or POFQ for a few nights for a future DW trip. I've heard so much about it and walked the grounds a while back and want to try it and see what it's like.

-

funny that you should mention that, that's actually how we decided on the deluxes after we stayed at Ft. Wilderness. My late husband hated any hotel/motel where you opened the door to the outside. lol I thought he was the only one.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
funny that you should mention that, that's actually how we decided on the deluxes after we stayed at Ft. Wilderness. My late husband hated any hotel/motel where you opened the door to the outside. lol I thought he was the only one.

The term 'motel' originated as a portmanteau word for 'motor hotel') have exterior corridors: you can park directly in front of your room (quite often, if you're on the ground floor, you can park directly in front of your door).

21stamps

While you’re there I agree.

Pre and post? I imagine that thereare parts of society where that matters. I’m sure status fights of Poly over GF.

Me personally? I’d be happy in a tent at Fort Wilderness.

I think it’s unlikely, but maybe.

Leahbobeah

When we go to WDW, our only requirement is that we stay on property. I've stayed in all 3 levels of resorts and Disney does such a good job that I don't really notice a difference in rooms, food, etc. other than the actual theme (Boardwalk vs. POR vs. All Star).

Skibum1970

Why stay at a deluxe? To me, a lot of it is emotion mixed with reality.

First, the placesetting. Wilderness Lodge is our second favorite and it's because of the ambiance. As much as any resort, it really is an awesome feeling to see the green roof and log exterior when the bus rounds the corner. We feel the same way for the Contemporary but that is because it represents classic Disney. I love seeing the POR main building but that is because I'm at my resort. It doesn't have the same excitement level. Further, the Electric Water Parade and boats to/from the parks are really nice to have or see.

Second, the rooms. They are nicer and, usually, a little larger with higher grade finishes. We just enjoy the rooms more. The moderates have nice rooms as well but the deluxes feel just a little better overall.

Third: Food options. Generally, the deluxes have QS, Moderate, and deluxe dining options. With that said, POR and POFQ also have good dining options.

Reality: With all this said, my price point comes into play. I typically won't pay for the deluxes unless I can get a good discount. So, it is kind of a mix of all of the above.

bunnyman

Location, room size, and better recreation facilities (i.e. more themed swimming pool, etc.) are basically it. The other "amenities" people mention are really just more opportunities to spend more $$. All Stars - you get food court and pool bar; moderates you get that plus a moderately priced sit down restaurant and lounge; deluxes - you get all that plus a "signature" restaurant. I often find for a quick trip, say a long weekend, I have no problem in an All Star or moderate; for a one week trip or more with many days of park entry, I prefer the Deluxes based on the nicer accommodations, lounge, etc. The smaller sized All Star rooms for a full week start to get a little claustrophobic.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The “deluxe” are definitely better constructed hotels...the moderates are really elaborate versions of a days inn...

So you are getting a better quality and variety of food and entertainment options. And they have the better locations...

But as far as “service”...you aren’t getting any in the traditional hotel sense. My advise is stay deluxe (moderates are the biggest ripoffs going)...but don’t book through disney...find an agency with wholesale rates...they’re out there.

There is no “prestige”...that isn’t a well to fall down. You don’t get “status” at the contemporary...it’s just one of those self soothing tactics people use to try and justify the price.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the real concern is the increase of gondola guests that will now be using the international gateway as their entrance into Epcot. Part of the IG appeal is the fact that there’s typically hardly a wait to enter the park. After the gondolas are finished, that’s clearly going to change.

They seem to be not concerned at all in Flooding the gateway with Caribbean and pop patrons...that could be a nightmare for those used to it the way it has been. Same with increased traffic at boardwalk and the y&b area.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Part of the IG appeal is the fact that there’s typically hardly a wait
That's the appeal for us, but the appeal for Disney is an under utilized entrance that can accomodate more people. I don't know if they'll beef it up when when the gondolas go live, but the fact of the matter is, waiting in line is a time honored tradition.

Going to WDW, starts at waiting at the airline check-in and security, and doesn't end until we're on the flight home. I would not expect anything related to disney to be line-less :)

Epcotfan21

They seem to be not concerned at all in Flooding the gateway with Caribbean and pop patrons...that could be a nightmare for those used to it the way it has been. Same with increased traffic at boardwalk and the y&b area.
Agreed. We joke because it's almost like a private entrance and it's been that way for so many years. Oh well, rarely do nice things last forever.

HouCuseChickie

We don't see a lot of value in many of the things Disney describes as perks. For us, the only thing that makes it worth considering deluxe resorts is the location and room size. Beyond that...you're really not getting anything that much better or worse IMO. It's this reason we chose the Swan for our last trip.

BraveGirl

I don't really see much of a draw for the deluxe resorts that would justify the extra costs. It really depends on the invidual, because many of the things you all are saying are perks, I see as drawbacks.

Location - for me, the only deluxe with prime location are Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach Club, because of walking distance to Epcot and being centrally located to all other parks. The Deluxe near MK are just too far from everything else, and I spend more time at the other parks than I do at MK. Same thing for AKL. All-Stars and Pop are super close to AK and HS, which is great.

Restaurants - I have small kids. I NEED a hotel with a food court. We like to do one sit-down a day, usually at a park, and really rely on the ease of a food court for the rest. So, I prefer value over deluxe in terms of food.

Pools - this is the only thing I miss about staying at Beach club, that pool is the best. But, we are open-to-close park people, so pool time is usually limited to a few hours when we get there or before we leave. Not enough of a reason to plunk down the extra cash IMO.

We used to stay in all Deluxe and Moderates when my mom was a cast member, and have now switched to all value, with Pop being our favorite. Honestly, the only thing I miss is the Beach club pool! So, in my opinion, Deluxe is not worth the price. But I have different priorities than others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom