Deluxe Hotel, what are you really getting?

eliza61nyc

I think the real concern is the increase of gondola guests that will now be using the international gateway as their entrance into Epcot. Part of the IG appeal is the fact that there’s typically hardly a wait to enter the park. After the gondolas are finished, that’s clearly going to change.

Very true but the deluxe's don't promise you a quick access to the parks?? Basically we've been enjoying a hidden "perk". Access to Epcot and HS will still be easy, it will still be an very easy walk. When you stay at the Contemporary you get an easy access to MK, you definitely don't get quick.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
For me its location, theming, and services. For instance the Poly and Contemporary, you are on the monorail loop. In the case of the contemporary, you are in walking distance to MK. The Poly, you can walk to the TTC (but given the new security setup, I wouldn't recommend this)

Deluxes have better pools, and more services, like renting a boat at the Poly.

The question is, is that worth paying the premium? While I stayed at a couple of deluxes, I'm pretty much content with staying at value or moderate resorts

CaptainAmerica

I actually don't care about the location much. The Magic Kingdom resorts are pretty inconvenient to the non-MK parks and I prefer entering Epcot through the main entrance so the boardwalk resorts aren't a major plus for me location-wise either.

For me, it's a matter of immersion and theming. It's just better. Every time I walk through the lobby of Animal Kingdom Lodge, I'm in awe of the architecture, decor, and atmosphere. It's the same feeling a little kid gets when they see Cinderella Castle for the first time. The moderates are nice and the values are fine, but they're not awe-inspiring.

crxbrett

Not only that but guest spill over to wandering around the Yacht Club, Beaches and Cream, Boardwalk, etc.

Really if you think about it the Boardwalk area is just an extension of the World Showcase since neither one has rides. If you just called Boardwalk (Santa Monica land), Yacht Club (New England land), Beach Club (Florida land) it would fit right into World Showcase.

Boardwalk Inn would actually be Atlantic City Land or Jersey Land ;)

I will pretty much echo what others have already said that is obvious. I've not stayed at a value or modern yet, but I will say just from walking around in a couple, watching videos and reading info on here and Disney's site as well as browsing photos - the Deluxe resorts are themed better for a more immersive experience, have more expansive pool areas, offer more and overall better restaurant options and have much bigger rooms to stay in. Also a very minor detail I have noticed, if I'm not mistaken is that all of the Deluxe resorts' room entries/hallways are inside. Where as the moderate and values have rooms that have entryways/hallways that are outside.

I actually am curious and am contemplating staying at POR or POFQ for a few nights for a future DW trip. I've heard so much about it and walked the grounds a while back and want to try it and see what it's like.

-

Last edited:

aw14

I actually don't care about the location much. The Magic Kingdom resorts are pretty inconvenient to the non-MK parks and I prefer entering Epcot through the main entrance so the boardwalk resorts aren't a major plus for me location-wise either.

For me, it's a matter of immersion and theming. It's just better. Every time I walk through the lobby of Animal Kingdom Lodge, I'm in awe of the architecture, decor, and atmosphere. It's the same feeling a little kid gets when they see Cinderella Castle for the first time. The moderates are nice and the values are fine, but they're not awe-inspiring.
this is a huge plus for us as well. Poly and AKL are the 2 biggest on immersion IMO..

In terms of location, the 8 minute walk to MK from the CR is such a plus for us, specifically as we are an MK family.

I will say, last november, we stayed at BC. It worked so well with food and wine and the back entrance to Epcot. So easy

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Boardwalk Inn would actually be Atlantic City Land or Jersey Land ;)

I will pretty much echo what others have already said that is obvious. I've not stayed at a value or modern yet, but I will say just from walking around in a couple, watching videos and reading info on here and Disney's site as well as browsing photos - the Deluxe resorts are themed better for a more immersive experience, have more expansive pool areas, offer more and overall better restaurant options and have much bigger rooms to stay in. Also a very minor detail I have noticed, if I'm not mistaken is that all of the Deluxe resorts' room entries/hallways are inside. Where as the moderate and values have rooms that have entryways/hallways that are outside.

I actually am curious and am contemplating staying at POR or POFQ for a few nights for a future DW trip. I've heard so much about it and walked the grounds a while back and want to try it and see what it's like.

-
The Art of Animation family suites have indoor corridors, and the Deluxe Villas at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs have exterior doors. I actually prefer the exterior corridors in some ways. They tend to be MUCH quieter in my experience.

Mickey5150

The Art of Animation family suites have indoor corridors, and the Deluxe Villas at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs have exterior doors. I actually prefer the exterior corridors in some ways. They tend to be MUCH quieter in my experience.
Exterior corridors will be quieter since the outer wall and door have more insulation so Disney doesn't have to pay as much to heat/cool your room. With an interior corridor Disney is already paying to keep the hallway at the right temp so thinner walls and doors allow your room to share that temp.

Mickey5150

The one thing I don't like about certain deluxe resorts is uncovered walkways. At the Grand and Poly if it happens to rain in Florida you get drenched before making it to the boat/monorail/bus. For the price it would be nice to cover the walkways.

BoarderPhreak

Depends on where, exactly; but usually location and sometimes monorail access - plus more extensive theming, larger rooms, better pools, food and amenities.

Willmark

Original Poster
Note folks, this is really more just general wondering if just what are you getting for that premium?

I’m not freaking out about the Gondolas personally as the won’t be installed until after we’re there.

My point is Disney is charging a HUGE premium for Deluxes. I simply wonder what the benefit to cost ratio is. And if they start modifying it so location isn’t as valuable, aka international gateway, what are you left with?

This is the first stay at a Deluxe so I’ll definitely be on the lookout note so then usual.

Last edited:

crxbrett

I stand corrected. I wasn't sure about Old Key West and thought it may be like that. Good to know the Art of Animation suites are indoor corridors. Aren't those almost on the same price level as some of the lower Deluxe rates? I've been curious about maybe staying there as well on a future trip. Just unsure of the location and the bus efficiency there.

I think I prefer the indoor hallways just because you don't have a window facing towards a hallway. I think I prefer the sliding glass doors in the back of the room looking out.

The one thing I don't like about certain deluxe resorts is uncovered walkways. At the Grand and Poly if it happens to rain in Florida you get drenched before making it to the boat/monorail/bus. For the price it would be nice to cover the walkways.

I think I prefer the layout of the Deluxe resorts that are outside like the Grand Floridian and Polynesian because they are spread out like that. Yeah, when there is a downpour you can get drenched. So for many, that is a negative. I kind of like the GF and Poly in that when you step out you are outside and can be in the sun and feel the warm Florida sun. It adds to the ambiance and experience for me. I also am a nutcase because I don't mind getting wet really. It almost adds to the fun and sense of adventure for me! Yeah, I know, I am crazy. Obviously there are a lot of folks who definitely would not agree with me though LOL

CaptainAmerica

Note folks, this is really more just general wondering if just what are you getting for that premium?

I’m not freaking out about the Gondolas personally as the don’t be installed until after we’re there.

My point is Disney is charging a HUGE premium for Deluxes. I simply wonder what the benefit to cost ratio is. And if they start modifying it so location isn’t as valuable, aka international gateway, what are you left with?

This is the first stay at a Deluxe so I’ll definitely be on the lookout note so then usual.
It's not about a list of features. It's just better. You really won't know if it's worth the price until you've stayed there. For me, the Grand, Poly, Contemporary. Yacht, Beach, and Boardwalk are not worth the cost. But then again, neither are Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Pop Century, or the All Stars. Wilderness Lodge, DAK Lodge, Riverside, French Quarter, Ft. Wilderness, and Art of Animation are.

CaptainAmerica

I stand corrected. I wasn't sure about Old Key West and thought it may be like that. Good to know the Art of Animation suites are indoor corridors. Aren't those almost on the same price level as some of the lower Deluxe rates? I've been curious about maybe staying there as well on a future trip. Just unsure of the location and the bus efficiency there.

I think I prefer the indoor hallways just because you don't have a window facing towards a hallway. I think I prefer the sliding glass doors in the back of the room looking out.

I think I prefer the layout of the Deluxe resorts that are outside like the Grand Floridian and Polynesian because they are spread out like that. Yeah, when there is a downpour you can get drenched. So for many, that is a negative. I kind of like the GF and Poly in that when you step out you are outside and can be in the sun and feel the warm Florida sun. It adds to the ambiance and experience for me. I also am a nutcase because I don't mind getting wet really. It almost adds to the fun and sense of adventure for me! Yeah, I know, I am crazy. Obviously there are a lot of folks who definitely would not agree with me though LOL

The Art of Animation family suites are roughly the equivilant of two value rooms in both price and space. Two bathrooms, a queen "master bedroom," a very good pull out sleeper sofa, and a Murphy bed. Plus a small kitchenette. It's not deluxe accomodations... stay there if it's the right room and bed configuration for your party. Best food court on property and arguably the most efficient buses.

Hockey89

So we're going to be staying at Yacht Club in December but this really got me thinking (i.e some of the posts in the International Gateway thread), just what are you getting for the increased cost?

Location and prestige are about the only thing I can think of. Club Level doesn't really even give that much of a perk outside of the tinkering with extra fast passes. Usually at higher end hotels you're paying for service, but at a Disney hotel that's largely a wash IMO.

I can see the point of the monorail hotels to degree but if the international gateway gets changed for the gondola, just what does the Epcot Deluxes offer in the long run?

Note we have stayed at moderate for years like POR and the location IMO is top notch with only AK being a longer ride. Everything else? Really quick to MK.
Restaurants for sure... Better pools... Of course, location is number one....

slappy magoo

I think the real concern is the increase of gondola guests that will now be using the international gateway as their entrance into Epcot. Part of the IG appeal is the fact that there’s typically hardly a wait to enter the park. After the gondolas are finished, that’s clearly going to change.
Not only that but guest spill over to wandering around the Yacht Club, Beaches and Cream, Boardwalk, etc.

I think that spillover is a principal reason behind the gondolas. Not the ONLY reason, but I'm sure WDW's hoping people staying at CB or AoA will use the gondolas to get to their least best kept secret, the resorts that have DVC Villas, plus the new DVC resort being built. "How you gonna keep them down on the farm after they've seen Beach Club?" People staying there might use the gondolas to get to a character breakfast at Beach Club or a night out at Jellyrolls, see the location, the accommodations and think "next time I want to stay here" or "we really need to take one of those DVC tours."

Of course, it could backfire and people will think "I can visit those resorts any time I want now, the gondola makes it easy." Only time will tell...

But as far as those extra bodies clogging up IG, also, only time will tell. You gotta think about how many people at those resorts at any given time will all want to go to Epcot, and how dispersed they'll be over the course of a day. Even including Pop Century, assuming people staying there who want to go to Epcot will go over to the gondolas, the maximum capacity of Pop, AoA, Caribbean Beach and the new Riviera themed DVC when it's open is under 32K. Between the 4 parks and the water parks and people who are just chilling at the hotel or going to DS or offsite any given day...say 20% will be going to Epcot max? So 6400.

All of the "OG" Epcot hotels, at max capacity, is about 20K. So same deal, Let's say 25% on any given day's going to Epcot? A little more than the 20% I estimated at the other resorts because it's so close, maybe? SO 5000.

Now, this is an assumption on my part, but if the walkway to the OG Epcot hotels has a metal detector, and the entrance points at each gondola stand has a metal detector before you board, there will be no need for further delays at the actual IG entrance point.

Even assuming half the people show up an hour between an hour before park opens and 2 hours after it opens, with the rest straggling in over the course of the day.

That's roughly 950 people going through each of the two turnstiles (assuming they don't make it bigger) per hour for those three hours. And that would stink as you'd need to average 16 people going through each turnstile each minute, which will not happen...

But again, that strikes me as absolute worst case scenario, 10% of all of those hotels, all of which operating at max capacity, each room at max capacity, all trying to get through those two turnstiles in a 3 hour period. That doesn't count the rest of the day when things will be slower. Or when the hotels aren't at max capacity. And assuming they don't do anything to address the higher capacity which, for all we know, they will.

Also bear in mind that once the parks are open, the gondolas only drop people off 8 at a time, which disperses people in a time period far more efficiently than the Epcot resorts boats where dozens of people can all show up at the exact same time. Anyone who's ever stayed at an Epcot resort and walked to IG knows that feeling of seeing a boat coming along your side and trying to pick up the pace so you're not behind a sudden influx of lazybones who sailed in style while you pounded the pavement to get to IG and dad gummit you deserve to go in first pick up the pace grandma it's sprinting time!

Last edited:

crxbrett

Completely disagree that location is number one. I'd wager that Animal Kingdom Lodge is probably the second most common "favorite" resort despite have the worst location of the Deluxes.

Just playing devil's advocate here, if someone's favorite park is Animal Kingdom or Blizzard Beach, then Animal Kingdom Lodge would be the best Deluxe resort for location.

Hockey89

Completely disagree that location is number one. I'd wager that Animal Kingdom Lodge is probably the second most common "favorite" resort despite have the worst location of the Deluxes.
You are disagreeing with what I find most important? That's odd... I would guess it is not close to number 2.... I would never stay there because of the location....

Last edited:

DarthVader

Sith Lord
At the risk of repeating myself, Location is definitely a big deciding factor for my family. We spend most of our time in MK, Epcot, HS and AK, in that order. We've been blessed to have the opportunity to stay at deluxes the past few visits, and I think the Contemporary is one of the best, for a number of reasons, one of which is that you can walk to MK. The theming in a sense is probably the weakest at the contemporary, at least compared to the Poly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom