Deadpool

ItlngrlBella

You've not read the comics, have you? Deadpool's a bit of a jerk.

I read somewhere that when he films with kids where it's bleeped out (like this - maybe not in the movie) he says a word close to it (friggin') and they bleep it out as to sound/look like its swearing. Anyway, Deadpool is meant for adults - I wouldn't dare allow my girls to watch this. It's what people love about the character. He's a man in a red suit but definitely not Santa.

... you gotta love his snark!
Fangirling! :inlove:

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

The new red band trailer is up. Not safe for work, and also definitely not for family holiday gatherings.

I must have been a good girl this year. Santa made my Christmas wish come true!

This from the trailer:

image.jpeg

I love you Santa!

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Has anyone seen it yet?
We are going through a medical emergency with a loved one and priorities have shifted.

Curious to know people's reactions/impressions of the movie and any Easter eggs?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
There is an after credits scene. It's not worth staying for (though it is amusing). It does give away a few things that Disnerds who are into the whole IP sharing are interested in.

The movie itself was amusing...not worth ticket price, imho...matinee it if you fell you must see it in the theater.

The comedy is fun at first, but gets old quickly. Sarcasm isn't funny when it's predictable as hell. And, the last thing that a movie with a character like Deadpool should be is...predictable.

The acting and effects are mediocre. One particular character that is all CGI was a surprise to me (I didn't look into the movie at all before going into it), and the CGI for him was so bad it took me out of the movie every time he was on the screen.

The plot is about as deep as either of the Punisher movies...which is ok...if the character had been better.

The actor chosen to play Deadpool is wrong wrong wrong wrong. I'm sorry, Ryan Reynolds...He's great in small bits, but 2 hours of him, and he wears out his welcome. He's not crazy enough, or in character enough, to be Deadpool with the mask on, and he's not sick enough to be Deadpool with the mask off. Again, fine for a youtube short, but sucks when he's given more screen time than that.

The action and fight scenes, on average, are boring (after the first 20 minutes or so which are great).

There are lots of Easter eggs and references to the larger Marvel/Disney universe, including the final scene, but nothing that means anything beyond...oh, that's sortof neat.

There are a few 4th wall jokes that are hilarious, a few quips that are funny, but overall, most of the banter falls flat. They tried so hard to make Deadpool a sarcastic person (which he is) that you ended up not caring...and when they did finally TRY and give the story some depth, it was too obvious and silly.

In addition, without getting too far into spoiler territory, they missed a major chance to create depth to the insane Deadpool character by making more like a sarcastic teenager. This...cheapened the character...and flattened him down to basically a parody of himself. And, to me, that isn't what Deadpool is about, that's what Deadpool is to a 3rd rate hollywood writer who has been called in to finish up a script in time for filming and picked up a few online memes and read a comic at most.

I wish I could chalk that up to artistic decision, but I think it was more that they ran out of time, and the studio made them push it out. The opening 20-30 minutes were fantastic...and from then on, well, you may as well just leave after that. There isn't much else to see. And, there isn't much in that first 20-30 minutes that you can't get out of the pre-release videos on youtube.

To be fair, there were places where you could tell there was a lot of promise...for example, one particular scene towards the end with animation added in was fantastic...and I wish there had been more random scenes like that...and, oddly, the opening credits were hilarious. But, while the whole movie should have been a trip along those lines, it isn't...and scenes like that should be common, but, they aren't.

It's...an ok movie. It certainly isn't the loving treatment/surprise that Guardians was. This felt rushed out, and to be a parody of previous Marvel movies, simply for the fact that it could be. And, while that could be a GREAT angle, this movie didn't follow through.

The scenes that got it the R rating felt gratuitous and forced. They did nothing for the plot, and felt like they were tossed in just so "it could get a R rating"...probably because the fans "wanted it".

I enjoyed it, but it isn't anything close to what Marvel has put out in the past as far as a sleeper IP...I'm quite disappointed. Frankly, Deadpool would have done better with the Daredevil treatment, or something like that...not what he got.

I didn't care about the story and the characters were one dimensional. I didn't care about the action, the effects and stunts were fairly poor to downright distracting, and the comedy (which should have carried the show), was lacking.

Worth seeing, but not full price. Or, even better, give it two months for it to go to Netflix.

Last edited:

doctornick

Deadpool opened to $47.5M on Friday and is getting fantastic word of mouth. It will be curious to see the legs of the film. I think it will tend to be front loaded due to being more adult and skewing more to appealing fanboys than your average comic book film, but the word of mouth might draw in casual folks.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
@englanddg, you're breaking my heart?! :(

I'm a huge Ryan Reynolds fan so I don't think I'll get sick of him, I love snark, and 4th wall shpeils, so I hope I won't be disappointed.
Mind you, it's a subjective review. I DID ENJOY the movie, it just wasn't all that great in my opinion. About as good as Iron Man 3, perhaps?

But, the audience seemed to enjoy it a lot (and I wholly admit, there are a lot of good snark jokes...but there are a lot of bad ones as well)...

I've heard more positive reviews than negative, so I'd suggest you chalk my opinion up as an outlying one...but, that is my opinion. <grin>

I hope YOU enjoy it! That's all that really matters in the long run!

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Spoiler free review...

Lots of snark, graphic violence and loads of fun.

Deadpool was enjoyable to me, a great flick full of humor (quite filthy but funny) lots of Morena Baccarin and Ryan Reynolds back and forth snark.

Not safe for kiddies of any age, not even close to appropriate for even most teens either but great fun for us adults.

champdisney

Well there's certainly nothing people can complain about regarding how Deadpool was portrayed. They successfully managed to portray Deadpool exactly how he is in the comics with his wit, sarcasm and sass. This is as good as anyone is gonna get it. I don't know why but I was expecting Wolverine to appear at the end of the credits, instead we were trolled. Good stuff.

Bairstow

I just got back from it.

It was...ok.

That's about my reaction.
Everyone around me seemed to be enjoying the movie a lot more than I did.

I liked some of the ludicrously over-the-top violence that happens in the first couple minutes, but after that the movie seems to run out of ideas... and money.
Except for the introductory freeway sequence that's been all over the test footage and trailer, this thing feels really, REALLY cheap.

It would have been better if it had been more violent (in a Tarantino Kill Bill Volume 1 sort of way) darker (show that the reason Deadpool is constantly joking is that he lost his sanity) or wackier (if Deadpool can break the 4th wall, why not have him alter reality by editing his own film, like in "Wayne's World'?)

ItlngrlBella

My hubs said they've been green lighted for a sequel so with the money this one made, perhaps they will go bigger and less "cheap?"

I have yet to see it and have no opinion yet, except Ryan Reynolds is hot. ;)

doctornick

My hubs said they've been green lighted for a sequel so with the money this one made, perhaps they will go bigger and less "cheap?"

I'm sure that any sequel will have a much healthier budget. The reality is that with this film, Fox did not have much faith in the project and provided only a small budget and allowed the passion project to occur but tried to minimize their risk. They obviously have to be overwhelmed by the reception by the public and will respond according for the sequel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom