DCA's 'Blue Sky Cellar' - Time to start previewing projects in this space again?

Figments Friend

Original Poster
So remember that swell spot that used to be over at DCA where Imagineering used to display cool models and concept art of coming attractions they were working on to add to the Disneyland Resort?

Yeah.....that ol' 'Blue Sky Cellar'.
Used to be a fun spot.
It has fallen by the wayside somewhat over the last few years, despite various major projects being announced.

Then remember how earlier this year, there was real talk about it re-opening with a preview display related to 'Galaxy's Edge' with cool concept art, models, and the like?
That ended up never happening, which was a little surprising considering the intent to do so at the time.

So now it still sits there, as kind of a wasted space.
I'm curious as to if this space is currently being used for festival events, or something else seasonally.
If not, it would be nice to see it reopened to display items related to several projects WDI is currently working on.
The upcoming 'Mickey's Runway Railway', the Heros area / Marvel additions, heck, even the new parade could have a wall of related art or a couple of models.

Perhaps today's 'Disney' has lost interest in that kind of self-promotion in the Park to hype up coming attractions.
I suppose social media kinda fills that need now at a fraction of the cost to set up the room, but I always felt it added a neat element to a Park visit.
Getting to check out those models is always a treat....and these little getaway spots away from the masses are always welcome, exspecially on a warmer then usual day.

So how about it, gang.
Would you like to see this space used again as a preview area?
Should TDA move on doing something more, or something else, with this space..?

Let's hear it.

-

Snow Queen

As sad as I find it's current state, I have some very fond memories in that place, and I'd hope they'd just refresh it instead of shuttering it. I remember being about 10 and spending an hour talking the ear off some guy who worked there who seemed really important to me at the time, but probably was just being way nicer while working minimum wage than he had to be.

BubbaQuest

I would like to see exhibits on the creation of Disneyland, from conception, to opening, and beyond (maybe to its first 10 years).

I seem to remember something like this way back when they had a preview area in one of the gift shops on Main Street.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I seem to remember something like this way back when they had a preview area in one of the gift shops on Main Street.

For the 50th Annivesary, there was a display at the Disneyland Opera House that featured a lot of concept art, models, and other neat artifacts related to the history of the Park.
Perhaps this is what you are remembering?

Fun fact -
There was a large glass case that used to be a part of that display featuring various Disneyland ticket media over the years.
The tickets inside were all from Tony Baxter's personal ( and very large ) collection.
:)

-

BubbaQuest

For the 50th Annivesary, there was a display at the Disneyland Opera House that featured a lot of concept art, models, and other neat artifacts related to the history of the Park.
Perhaps this is what you are remembering?

I think I saw that one too.

Before that, there used to be a dedicated "Coming Attractions" shop in what is now the "Disney Showcase" shop, near the Opera House.

I seem to remember seeing a 3D model in there of the Balloon attraction that was seen on some of the original Disneyland concept maps. It's all a bit blurry now :). I just stumbled across this video showing some slides of the old Coming Attractions shop:

I wish Blue Sky would show some of this stuff.

ProjectXBlog

Blue Sky will be departing to the great beyond next year; more park real estate for DVC upsells:
IMG_6515.jpeg

Consumer

Blue Sky will be departing to the great beyond next year; more park real estate for DVC upsells:
View attachment 754325
What a waste. Being able to see the changes coming to DCA was one of my favorite things back in the day and really got me excited for DCA's grand reopening. I don't know why they didn't keep updating this attraction for Galaxy's Edge and other future changes to the Resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom