D23 will stream live the CoP presentation at Destination D (Attraction Rewind) this Saturday

prberk

Original Poster
I really wanted to go to this event, but it's becoming very clear that I cannot afford a trip this year. So, I was glad to hear that D23 announced today that they will stream a live video of the CoP part of the presentation next Saturday (Nov. 23), for about an hour, starting at 2:50 p.m. EST. This presentation is part of the two-day event at the Contemporary where they will look back at Disney's participation in the 1964-'65 New York World's Fair on Saturday, and look back at closed (or never made) attractions on Sunday, with imagineers and legends like Tony Baxter, Marty Sklar, Bob Gurr, and others. Sunday even has something at the end that will make reference to Pleasure Island and the Adventurer's Club.

I was really looking forward to the New York World's Fair memorabilia and discussions, as my parents went there with my grandparents, and brought back pictures. They later took me, in 1972, to this new place in Florida that Walt Disney had built -- and brought some things from the World's Fair with him. It is the 50th anniversary of the fair, but it is also in conjunction with the upcoming Tomorrowland movie, which recreated the fair on film. They are discussing that recreation here as well.

The whole schedule is here: https://d23.com/d23-events/d23-destination-d-attraction-rewind/

During the Saturday part, they have decided to stream the CoP presentation to D23 members, including the free members. Marty Sklar and imagineer Gary Landrum will talk about the creation of the CoP. So, I thought all of you CoP fans out there would want to know about it.

Here is the page for that: https://d23.com/see-live-stream-carousel-progress-presentation-destination-d/

Now, be aware that getting the free membership activated takes 24 hours, so if you are not a member yet but would like to see it, join before the weekend of the event (Saturday, Nov. 22). Otherwise, you may need to wait to watch it later, after it is archived (which they are doing). It seems like they archive a lot of their presentations for members.

Still wish I could go.
If any of you make it to the event, please post pics, especially of the World's Fair stuff. And maybe take time to ask Tony Baxter what he thinks will ever happen to Imagination at EPCOT...... That alone would be worth the admission.

Figments Friend

I was just coming here to share this same info, but see it is already here.

Nice to see this happening, and i also considered attending but the price tag was way beyond my reach.
So this is a nice surprise for those not able to attend.

Hope to tune in and relive one of my favorite WED Attractions, the grand ol' 'Carousel..'!

TP2000

I was really looking forward to the New York World's Fair memorabilia and discussions, as my parents went there with my grandparents, and brought back pictures. They later took me, in 1972, to this new place in Florida that Walt Disney had built -- and brought some things from the World's Fair with him. It is the 50th anniversary of the fair, but it is also in conjunction with the upcoming Tomorrowland movie, which recreated the fair on film. They are discussing that recreation here as well.

This does sound like the most interesting D23 Destination D events they've had! I'm also bummed I won't be there, but look forward to hearing about it online.

But to be fair (get it?), Walt didn't have any active involvement in building Walt Disney World.

Walt died in December, 1966, five years before WDW opened and six months before groundbreaking on the first infrastructure began in June, 1967. Construction on the theme park proper didn't begin until 1968.

WDW of 1971 looked nothing like Walt envisioned it when Walt last visited the Florida Project Planning Room at Imagineering in October, 1966 before he fell ill late that month. (He passed away six weeks later.)

When Magic Kingdom Park opened in October, 1971, five years after Walt's death, there were two attractions based on the 1964 World's Fair originals; It's A Small World and Hall of Presidents. The original shows from the Fair were moved to Disneyland in 1965-66.

Pepsi-Cola's It's A Small World was moved in its entirety, and expanded from its smaller Fair format and dedicated by Walt in May, 1966, and the original Fair sets and dolls reside to this day at Disneyland.

Walt dedicates It's A Small World at Disneyland - May 25, 1966
small_world_grand_opening.jpg

Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln was cloned by WED outright, and a second show was opened by Walt and his wife at Disneyland in 1965 while the original show was still operating back in New York at the Fair's second year.

Walt and Mrs. Disney (in hipster sunglasses) cut the ribbon on Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln at Disneyland - July, 1965
lcn152009LARGE.jpg

The dinosaurs from Ford's Magic Skyway ride were moved to the Disneyland Railroad in late 1966 and remain there to this day. Ford's dinosaurs from the Fair never made the jump to Walt Disney World, although a few of the molds were used for Epcot's Exxon pavilion in the early 1980's. (A direct clone of the Primeval World was built for Tokyo Disneyland's Railroad in 1983.)

A gaggle of pretty Disneyland Tour Guides assemble near Primeval World construction - Winter, 1966
CTCT_1_66_N18R.jpg

GE's Carousel of Progress went to Disneyland first, from 1967 to 1973. Then after a six year run in Disneyland it was packed up and moved to Florida in 1974, where it still operates as the only original Fair attraction used in WDW. Walt had died before it arrived at Disneyland in June, 1967.

If any of you make it to the event, please post pics, especially of the World's Fair stuff. And maybe take time to ask Tony Baxter what he thinks will ever happen to Imagination at EPCOT...... That alone would be worth the admission.

Agreed! Pics and info have been available online from attendees after these Destination D events in the past. Let's hope folks share lots of photos and info after this one too!

Last edited:

pumpkin7

This does sound like the most interesting D23 Destination D events they've had! I'm also bummed I won't be there, but look forward to hearing about it online.

But to be fair (get it?), Walt didn't have any active involvement in building Walt Disney World.

Walt died in December, 1966, five years before WDW opened and six months before groundbreaking on the first infrastructure began in June, 1967. Construction on the theme park proper didn't begin until 1968.

WDW of 1971 looked nothing like Walt envisioned it when Walt last visited the Florida Project Planning Room at Imagineering in October, 1966 before he fell ill late that month. (He passed away six weeks later.)

When Magic Kingdom Park opened in October, 1971, five years after Walt's death, there were two attractions based on the 1964 World's Fair originals; It's A Small World and Hall of Presidents. The original shows from the Fair were moved to Disneyland in 1965-66.

Pepsi-Cola's It's A Small World was moved in its entirety, and expanded from its smaller Fair format and dedicated by Walt in May, 1966, and the original Fair sets and dolls reside to this day at Disneyland.

Walt dedicates It's A Small World at Disneyland - May 25, 1966
small_world_grand_opening.jpg

Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln was cloned by WED outright, and a second show was opened by Walt and his wife at Disneyland in 1965 while the original show was still operating back in New York at the Fair's second year.

Walt and Mrs. Disney (in hipster sunglasses) cut the ribbon on Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln at Disneyland - July, 1965
lcn152009LARGE.jpg

The dinosaurs from Ford's Magic Skyway ride were moved to the Disneyland Railroad in late 1966 and remain there to this day. Ford's dinosaurs from the Fair never made the jump to Walt Disney World, although a few of the molds were used for Epcot's Exxon pavilion in the early 1980's. (A direct clone of the Primeval World was built for Tokyo Disneyland's Railroad in 1983.)

A gaggle of pretty Disneyland Tour Guides assemble near Primeval World construction - Winter, 1966
CTCT_1_66_N18R.jpg

GE's Carousel of Progress went to Disneyland first, from 1967 to 1973. Then after a six year run in Disneyland it was packed up and moved to Florida in 1974, where it still operates as the only original Fair attraction used in WDW. Walt had died before it arrived at Disneyland in June, 1967.

Agreed! Pics and info have been available online from attendees after these Destination D events in the past. Let's hope folks share lots of photos and info after this one too!

Some lovely pictures in that post, thank you!

prberk

Original Poster
Publicity leading up to Tomorrowland, anyone? ;) Synergy!

Of course, but still an amazing opportunity.

Isn't Christmas a great time to put out your Christmas-themed merchandise? Isn't the week before your movie coming out a good time for a celebrity to be a guest on talk shows? Didn't Walt Disney use his Disneyland show openings to show props or information about an upcoming film, just in time to whet your appetite for it?

Of course it is a great opportunity for promoting "Tomorrowland," but it also comes at the 50th anniversary of the New York World's Fair, which itself was a good time for synergy with the making and release of this movie.

So, synergy is all around us, and usually a good thing. I'll take it.

Now, moving on and back to the subject. I really wish I could be there. The geek in me would really come out! I would love to see the program on the recreation of the fair for that movie. But I really would love to be able to hang out with Tony Baxter and ask him some questions. I did notice that Mouse Chat is hosting an afterparty type of event with Bob Gurr over in Celebration that Saturday night. Would enjoy that also.

If I cannot make it (still holding out slim hope), at least we can tune in online. And I do think that they picked the most important one with CoP (although I would also love to see the other stuff about the fair, and the bygone WDW attractions).

prberk

Original Poster
Another view of the final scene as it opened at WDW in 1975:
Act IV 1975 at WDW.jpg

Act IV 1975 at WDW 3.jpg

And, of course, the show opened at WDW with a new song: "The Best Time of Your Life," which when compared to "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow," may have served to indicate that the opening of Walt Disney World and the promise of EPCOT around the corner meant that while "tomorrow" is arriving soon, it is still a dream but a good part of yesterday's dreams are here now. Just a thought. Here are the lyrics:

The Best Time of Your Life
Now is the time, now is the best time.
Now is the best time of your life!
Life has a prize, in every minute.
Open your eyes and see how you win it.

Yesterday's memories may sparkle and gleam.
Tomorrow is still but a dream.
Right here and now, you've got it made.
The world is forward-marching, and you're in the parade!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Ditto - anyone who attends please share photos !

In regards to Mr. Baxter*s thoughts on what he thinks will ever happen to the Imagination Pavilion.....well....

We already know what he thinks of it in it*s current incarnation.
If asked, depending on the audience present, he will have some colorful terms set aside that clearly express his opinion on the topic.
Always great to hear him speak his mind openly about something such as this !
;)

It is the one Attraction he would most like to see return in some form, and i am sure he is just as anxious as a lot of fans of the Original are in seeing a new, truly *imaginative* experience take up residence at that Pavilion.

But this time, at this upcoming Event, Tony will be talking about his famous *Discovery Bay* concept that was being developed for Disneyland.
Although i am not able to attend, i can still share some photos that i have collected -

Tony working on the model built for *Discovery Bay* -

Another view of the above model -

*Discovery Bay* concept art painted by Tony in 1974.
A stunning watercolor piece absolutely packed with details when greatly enlarged.

Early concept art for *Discovery Bay* by Joe Rhode

Framed concept art for *Discovery Bay* painted by Joe Rhode in 1984 -

*Fireworks Factory* shooting gallery concept art -

Tony pointing out the area on a Disneyland map showing where *Discovery Bay* was to be built ( orange area, upper left ) .
Today this area is home to the Big Thunder Ranch.

Fabulous photo of Tony and friends hard at work developing ideas....Tom *Mr. Nautilus* Scherman is to the right in this image.

Last edited:

prberk

Original Poster
Didn't DCA have a hangar concept similar to the one shown in Tony's 1974 picture above, except with a bi-plane, for the exterior of Soarin' there? I wonder if the concept was a wink to Discovery Bay. @Figments Friend

Man, I hope someone asks Tony some good questions and either records it and posts it, or reports on it for us.

Figments Friend

Didn't DCA have a hangar concept similar to the one shown in Tony's 1974 picture above, except with a bi-plane, for the exterior of Soarin' there? I wonder if the concept was a wink to Discovery Bay. @Figments Friend

Not that i am aware of, but i know the hanger you speak of and what it ended up looking like.
Anything is possible, and many times ideas from previous projects end up appearing elsewhere.
There are several examples of this with just 'Discovery Bay' alone, so it would not surprise me.

Some elements from Tony's original 'Discovery Bay' concept did actually get built...over at 'his Park', Disneyland Paris.
The 'Hyperion' airship and a redesigned hanger was added to the setting of 'Discoveryland'....a rather coincidental name.

A photo of Mr. Baxter at a presentation of the large EuroDisney model...with a miniature 'Discoveryland' to the right.
Behind him is a concept painting.

A pair of photos now of DLP's 'Discoveryland' showcasing the 'Hyperion'.

General atmosphere, and placing reference shot ...with 'Discovery Mountain' ( later renamed 'Space Mountain' ) in the background -

A closer view of the 'Hyperion' in it's redesigned hanger -

Another connection is the Nautilus walktrough Attraction in this same area, a holdover from the original 'Bay' concept.
It is great that this addition was actually built!
Reminds me of a great photo i have in my collection....

Here is a neat photo of Tim Delaney ( left ) 'Mr. Nautilus' Tom Scherman ( center ) and Tony Baxter at the helm of the Nautilus walkthrough at DLP in 1992.
Behind them a scenic view of 'Discoveryland' can be seen through the submarine's 'eyes'.

And just for the heck of it....since we were talking about the original concepts for 'Discovery Bay' for Disneyland.....

Another photo of the famous 'Discovery Bay' model, this time from a interesting angle...from behind the peaks of Big Thunder Mountain!

In the upper right corner of this photo of the model, you can see a example of the hot air balloon ride that was being developed for 'Discovery Bay'.
A interesting story...for those who may not have heard it....

When 'Discovery Bay' was put on the shelf in the late 1970s, the hot air balloon ride concept was moved over to development for The Land Pavilion at EPCOT Center.
Originally, The Land was going to focus more on the Earth and it's climates, and a few interesting Attractions contained within it would reflect this.

Tony Baxter was assigned to help design this version of the Pavilion, and it included a revised version of the balloon ride that was originally going to be a part of 'Discovery Bay'.
The version for The Land would have been a indoor 'dark ride' type of experience, 'floating' thought different scenes. The finale to the journey would have taken the balloons through the giant glass 'Bionomes' which housed radically different climates on Earth.

This photo shows Tony at the 2013 D23 Convention pointing to the massive model made for this early version of The Land Pavilion, showing the balloon ride, as well as the huge glassed in environments.

A closer look at the section of The Land model, showing the hot air balloon ride -

A view of the front of the model from archival material -

So here was another case of one of the concepts for 'Discovery Bay' being carried over to another project.

Both ideas were eventually scrapped for The Land, and a entirely new concept was developed instead for the entire Pavilion.
Tony moved on to begin work on another Pavilion that featured tall glass structures...what would become the beloved Imagination Pavilion.
Here too, a original concept from 'Discovery Bay' was implemented in the development of this Pavilion.
Professor Marvel, the eccentric inventor who liked to breed dragons and present a entertaining show at the 'Bay' was re-cast as Dreamfinder.
Figment was his little imaginative dragon buddy who shared in his adventures.

All was not lost however in regards to those hot air balloons...as they DID end up appearing in the revised version of The Land Pavilion after all....as ornamentation.
The famous balloons that grace the interior atrium are a clever nod to 'what could have been' !

A photo of the balloons inside The Land in the early 1980s, with the original 'sky' mural on the ceiling -

I am sure Tony himself will talk about all of this during the Event.
The story behind 'Discovery Bay' is a fascinating one....and i so wish i could be there to hear him tell it !

Last edited:

prberk

Original Poster
Very neat posts going on here!

I agree. I hope a lot of EPCOT and CoP enthusiasts find this thread. It also helps remind us of the connection between the two concepts. I really believe the CoP was a forerunner to the evolution of Walt's EPCOT idea. It gave a window into his thinking about progress... honoring the innovations of the past while dreaming toward the future. I have always said the same in a way about Disneyland and the MK (Frontierland balanced by Tomorrowland, and the history of Main Street leading to dreams and ideas represented by Fantasyland, Adventureland, and more nods to the past in Liberty Square). All of it represents a good balance of reality and dreaming, the future and the past.

Last edited:

prberk

Original Poster
On a side note, has anyone here ever had trouble getting registered on the D23 site as a member? I "purchased" the free membership on Friday, and am able to log back in to the Disney STORE site as a D23 member, but cannot get onto the D23 site as a member. And I have left several messages for them on the D23 guest services line -- which says, "All D23 cast members are currently busy with other customers. If you would like to leave a message, press one," which I did three different times. I was even considering going ahead and paying for the gold membership, to get the magazine and other content, but I can't get on at all, and they won't call me back. I am sure that they are busy with this event, but someone needs to man the phones. I have also sent an e-mail. My main problem is that when I try to register online for the actual D23 members-only content, it says my membership number does not match my name; and I typed it all in exactly the same way as it was registered at the store.

If a D23 member is reading this, please ask someone to check your messages. PM me if you need my membership info. I do not want to miss the program on Saturday, and I still would like to consider upgrading. (And would love to attend the event if I could ever afford it this year, but that is another story....)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
On a side note, has anyone here ever had trouble getting registered on the D23 site as a member?

I used to be an actual member when it first came out. I have a stack of all the D23 magazines I've gotten in the first 2 years.. But it was way too expensive, and I was like 13 or 14.. So it's not like I could get my parents to take me to all of the events.. So I dropped. There wasn't a point in joining really with the amount of money you have to spend for the membership unless you go to the parks a lot and can attend the events..

prberk

Original Poster
I used to be an actual member when it first came out. I have a stack of all the D23 magazines I've gotten in the first 2 years.. But it was way too expensive, and I was like 13 or 14.. So it's not like I could get my parents to take me to all of the events.. So I dropped. There wasn't a point in joining really with the amount of money you have to spend for the membership unless you go to the parks a lot and can attend the events..

Did you ever get to attend any of the events. And have you used the website for their "rewinds" of the events? What did you think of it?

I wish they still published the regular "Disney" magazine. It had a lot of this type of stuff before they made this fan club.

And, yes, @Figments Friend , I agree. Keep it coming if you have more to share. Others, too. This has become a very informative thread for fans of CoP and the World's Fair.

Figments Friend

On a side note, has anyone here ever had trouble getting registered on the D23 site as a member? I "purchased" the free membership on Friday, and am able to log back in to the Disney STORE site as a D23 member, but cannot get onto the D23 site as a member. And I have left several messages for them on the D23 guest services line -- which says, "All D23 cast members are currently busy with other customers. If you would like to leave a message, press one," which I did three different times. I was even considering going ahead and paying for the gold membership, to get the magazine and other content, but I can't get on at all, and they won't call me back. I am sure that they are busy with this event, but someone needs to man the phones. I have also sent an e-mail. My main problem is that when I try to register online for the actual D23 members-only content, it says my membership number does not match my name; and I typed it all in exactly the same way as it was registered at the store.

If a D23 member is reading this, please ask someone to check your messages. PM me if you need my membership info. I do not want to miss the program on Saturday, and I still would like to consider upgrading. (And would love to attend the event if I could ever afford it this year, but that is another story....)

Sometimes you have to wait a few hours, or even a day for your new Membership to become active.
You joined this past Friday, so i am assuming you have likely tried again by now and it is still not working?
Try again, and be sure you are typing in your membership number correctly and keep the 'Caps Lock' off.

When i first 'joined' the day the 'free Memberships' were starting to be offered, it took a few hours before my Membership number worked on the website.
Periodically in the time since then i will have trouble logging in to view the Members Only content of said website, but that is always purely my own fault (forgetting the right log in info).

Try again at a later time or date, and let us know if you were able to log in.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

-

For fans of the 64'/65' New York Worlds Fair who are on 'Facebook' i recommend this informative and lively public group Page -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/The64NewYorkWorldsFair/

LOTS of photographs, detailed insights into many aspects of the Fair and it's Pavilions, and more can be found...not to mention many serious enthusiasts of the Fair in general.

The topic of the various WED/Disney designed Pavilion Attractions comes up now and then...but this is a Page that focuses more on the Fair as a whole and not just the Disney aspect.
A great, informative Page.

Have a look if you have some time to devote to it.

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom