Cuts

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Universal has already stripped down its entertainment offerings (ostensibly on a temporary basis) but is now in the midst of cutting a ton of street entertainment and Streetmosphere. Let’s not give them a pass for doing this. It’s messed up when Disney does it and it’s messed up that Universal is.

sonoma15

The only thing I think is a real loss is the characters in port of entry. The other things were either temporary (Mel's drive-in show, gabby dollhouse show) or wildly unpopular (sing-it!). Hopefully they replace these shows with something new.

Andrew25

And now we are closing off everything at USF from Hollywood to London with barricades until 10 am daily.

Nice.
Was just going to bring this up, Universal needs the same level of criticism that WDW receives.

Yes, I hate Disney's reservation systems, but their in-park operations remain levels above Universal's poor service. Excited for Epic, but Universal can barely run 2 parks efficiently, can't imagine how they can properly train and staff an entire 3rd one.

Minnesota disney fan

Universal has already stripped down its entertainment offerings (ostensibly on a temporary basis) but is now in the midst of cutting a ton of street entertainment and Streetmosphere. Let’s not give them a pass for doing this. It’s messed up when Disney does it and it’s messed up that Universal is.
What exactly has been stripped down and cut from street entertainment? We were there about a month ago and didn't notice any of that. It seemed the same to us. Just curious.

Andrew25

What exactly has been stripped down and cut from street entertainment? We were there about a month ago and didn't notice any of that. It seemed the same to us. Just curious.
They were just cut this past week.

Show over by Mel's Drive-In, Sing it in New York, Streetmosphere in IOA. Mind you, a lot of those shows were not great (rather obnoxious) but it's troubling to see Universal pair this along significantly reduced park hours.

Pair that with the 4 long-abandoned theaters at both parks... not a great look.

brb1006

The only thing I think is a real loss is the characters in port of entry. The other things were either temporary (Mel's drive-in show, gabby dollhouse show) or wildly unpopular (sing-it!). Hopefully they replace these shows with something new.
I remember seeing old photos of Woody Woodpecker meeting guest near the park's main entrance.
woody-woodpecker-universal-studios-orlando-2012-1.jpg

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
And, of course, they are slow walking a new nighttime show (I suppose I can forgive that as there is a lot of work), daytime parade (no excuse), and Poseidon replacement (no excuse for closing it so early). Hogwarts lights are “closed for refurbishment” but operated for Christmas. So they’re just shut off because reasons.

The hours cuts are crazy. Presidents Weekend is typically bonkers. Only early entry at one park this year? They did the same for Thanksgiving, but I believe in that case, they announced early entry for both parks and then cut it at USF.

2024 is simply not an exciting year for WDW or UOR. At least Disney is hustling on Tiana.

jrhwdw

And, of course, they are slow walking a new nighttime show (I suppose I can forgive that as there is a lot of work), daytime parade (no excuse), and Poseidon replacement (no excuse for closing it so early). Hogwarts lights are “closed for refurbishment” but operated for Christmas. So they’re just shut off because reasons.

The hours cuts are crazy. Presidents Weekend is typically bonkers. Only early entry at one park this year? They did the same for Thanksgiving, but I believe in that case, they announced early entry for both parks and then cut it at USF.

2024 is simply not an exciting year for WDW or UOR. At least Disney is hustling on Tiana.
So, with UOR 's questionable 2024 so far.......Can we really trust EU?????

maxairmike

I admittedly go most often in the evenings after most/all atmosphere and entertainment in general is done, and while I'm disappointed these seemingly new (at least all/most were new to me) entertainment additions are being done away with at the moment, I don't think I would have considered any of it permanent. I feel like I've seen the Port of Entry characters a few other times over the years, but seeing them past about 3pm was the real shock to me the few times I did encounter them. I wonder if some of it was them picking up the entertainment staffing in preparation for holiday offerings and having enough to throw at different experiences, and this is partly the natural fall-off after the peak holiday season?

The sudden "sky is falling!" reaction of this being indicative of an impending failure in opening Epic Universe is very laughable to me. Universal has always had interesting if not somewhat eccentric operations tendencies along with a very long memory of past issues that they seem to have a hard time letting go of them and in turn driving current decisions. While it doesn't absolve them of criticism (lord knows I kvetch about parking ops nearly every time I'm there, and events-specific decisions as well), I think there's a bit of over-eagerness to tamp down the excitement and lack of working within the context of the "unique individual" that each resort in Orlando is. But maybe that's just me.

The not opening the back half of Studios immediately in the morning is a whole different thing, and is becoming far too common around the industry if you ask me, so it's not entirely surprising to me either. Very unfortunate, but not surprising.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I admittedly go most often in the evenings after most/all atmosphere and entertainment in general is done, and while I'm disappointed these seemingly new (at least all/most were new to me) entertainment additions are being done away with at the moment, I don't think I would have considered any of it permanent. I feel like I've seen the Port of Entry characters a few other times over the years, but seeing them past about 3pm was the real shock to me the few times I did encounter them. I wonder if some of it was them picking up the entertainment staffing in preparation for holiday offerings and having enough to throw at different experiences, and this is partly the natural fall-off after the peak holiday season?

The sudden "sky is falling!" reaction of this being indicative of an impending failure in opening Epic Universe is very laughable to me. Universal has always had interesting if not somewhat eccentric operations tendencies along with a very long memory of past issues that they seem to have a hard time letting go of them and in turn driving current decisions. While it doesn't absolve them of criticism (lord knows I kvetch about parking ops nearly every time I'm there, and events-specific decisions as well), I think there's a bit of over-eagerness to tamp down the excitement and lack of working within the context of the "unique individual" that each resort in Orlando is. But maybe that's just me.

The not opening the back half of Studios immediately in the morning is a whole different thing, and is becoming far too common around the industry if you ask me, so it's not entirely surprising to me either. Very unfortunate, but not surprising.
There is a difference between being a world-class theme park destination and an amusement park. Universal Creative has exceptional talent, but if Universal truly wants to battle with the big boy down I-4, they need to improve ops and avoid draconian cuts.

Step 1: don’t run 11 resort hotels (soon) and then close your parks at 6 pm with no evening entertainment beyond peak weeks.

You are a local with a different lens, but they want to be a vacation destination, not a (really pretty) Six Flags. The excuse of doing nothing because Mardi Gras is coming is as tired as when Disney did nothing at Epcot because another festival was coming.

In the Parks
Yes
Out of all things that Universal could have cut out for budgetary reasons, could have been the permanent retirement of these once popular characters, I mean they have moved on from those characters, Universal has a bucket list full of popular characters that they are free to use now, and yet they have yet to announce the expiration date of these two that they licensed from Paramount for two decades now(alongside the more relevant SpongeBob, which a least his series is still airing), and since the series stopped airing(I know the reboot is coming soon, but I highly doubt Universal would still have them by the time Epic Universe opens(especially when the last time she was useful was the Superstar Parade which has ended nearly two years ago), Dora is the last reminiscent of the old KidZone that is long gone that doesn't fit the current state of Universal Orlando at all, at least they had the nerves of phasing out the once popular Barney show for good three years ago, despite a surge in popularity(even though he was nowhere near as popular as he was in his heyday), and I think by the next batch of entertainment cuts were to be announced, Paramount's Dora will be guaranteed to say adios to Universal Studios Florida forever and SpongeBob will be the last remaining Nickelodeon anything at Universal Orlando, and Gabby will be the only pre-K character to dominate USF

A YouTube of Dora and Friends still at USF, if budget cuts would have them retired for good

celluloid

Dreamworks and Parade will see an increase of entertainment.

Port of Entry Citizens in the numbers they have always been a peak season kind of thing to entertain guests.

Andrew25

I find it funny that even SeaWorld has a better nighttime show than Universal has/had.
Ignite is a solid firework show, better than Harmonious and Rivers of Light. The Cinematic Celebration at Uni was a great show, just had weird forced synergy moments that didn't flow well with the show. Universal also failed to market it properly so it rarely got more than a few thousand guests or so a show.

SeaWorld has a solid entertainment team, even with every other department lacking lol

JoeCamel

Ignite is a solid firework show, better than Harmonious and Rivers of Light. The Cinematic Celebration at Uni was a great show, just had weird forced synergy moments that didn't flow well with the show. Universal also failed to market it properly so it rarely got more than a few thousand guests or so a show.

SeaWorld has a solid entertainment team, even with every other department lacking lol
The neighborhood restraints have a lot to do with night shows as well, the new fountain show should be good and Epic will not have restraints

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom