Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

mcstensrud

Just sounds to me like they want to close the parks early and ship everyone down to Disney Springs at Night to spend their $ on the Spendy,Trendy shops and Restaurants that are popping up there.
Or pay X-tra to stay in the park for a Ticketed Event?
FWIW I will probably continue to do Both as I am a WDW addict.

The Hatbox Ghost

I want WDW to be around for a long, long time... so I'm good with some cuts here and there, to keep 'er running. However with that said, I think it's safe to say that we all have some key/basic expectations when we visit- given how expensive it is to do so. I have vacationed at WDW on property every year going on 11 years now and will be back again this May. I am <very> hopeful that these cuts aren't noticable.

PhotoDave219

I want WDW to be around for a long, long time... so I'm good with some cuts here and there, to keep 'er running. However with that said, I think it's safe to say that we all have some key/basic expectations when we visit- given how expensive it is to do so. I have vacationed at WDW on property every year going on 11 years now and will be back again this May. I am <very> hopeful that these cuts aren't noticable.

Good luck with that.

brb1006

and the biggest problem with Disneyland Paris for me is that for us coming from the UK I still don't feel like I want to visit. Florida feels better value and has better weather.

They just made too many mistakes with the planning of that resort.
Which is a shame since Disneyland Paris is one of the most beautiful Disney parks. However the Disney Studios Park which is Paris's version of Hollywood Studios is another story.

JDL30

Why can't Disney spend their money on a time machine and go back and never build Disneyland Paris???? I feel like that failing park has really affected the growth on all the other parks. Is Disney spreading themselves too thin????

I think blaming Disneyland Paris for the way the entire Parks and Resorts doesn't make sense. It's only until recently that TWDC even had a controlling stake in the park (before it was operated by licence, much like Tokyo). I'm not denying Paris has had a run of bad luck (Europe hit hard by a financial crash, problems with the Eurozone, poor planning in terms of weather and overestimating the amount of hotels the resort needed), however it really is one of the most beautiful parks Disney has ever made, and the studios park, while not attractive by a long shot, has some of the best collections of rides (certainly putting it's US inspiration to shame). The resort really has done a remarkable job at reinventing itself the last couple of years, and the amount of improvements, seasonal overlays and added entertainment shows great things will come (plus a 3rd park by 2030).

This is short sighted bean counting from the Execs in Burbank and costly overruns of a poorly planned Chinese park - not the sole effects of one European resort.

ParentsOf4

Disney's international theme parks have always underperformed, losing money more often than not. (Recall that The Walt Disney Company does not own or operate TDL, which has been profitable.)

Meanwhile, after a poor showing last decade, WDW and DLR have consistently improved financial performance this decade. Disney's two domestic resorts are once again financial powerhouses for the company, with operating margin steadily increasing for the last 5 years. Domestic margin is now about where it was in the 1990s.

The reported cuts at WDW are more than just concerns about SDL cost overruns or poor performance by Disney's other international properties.

They are driven largely by a change in Parks & Resorts (P&R) leadership.

After a disappointing performance under former P&R Chairman Jay Rasulo, Tom Staggs effectively turned P&R's domestic resorts around financially. He ended his years in P&R by being promoted to COO and as CEO Bob Iger's likely replacement.

There's a new kid on the block with a lot to prove. With a background in retail and none in amusement parks, Bob Chapek is acting the only way he knows how: demand cuts anywhere and everywhere. :(

Last edited:

YodaMan

Fewer cast running attraction..... Means attractions won't run at full capacity and longer lines.

Oh dear.

To a degree? Yes. Will less staffing necessarily effect things like 7DMT with a single load zone? Probably not. But anywhere with multiple load zones (Tower of Terror, Toy Story, Star Tours, etc) or cast-operated ride vehicles (Kilimanajaro, GMR) will see a hit to capacity when there is less cast to staff those rides. They have all found ways to determine the most minimal amount of staffing needed to operate, regardless of crowd size. And if any cast member ends up not coming in for a shift, capacity will go down and lines will go up. Hopefully there are enough guest complaints in the coming weeks that something is done about this decision.

fractal

Imploding? Just because their GDP growth rate and other economic indicators are now slowing to USA like levels certainly does not mean imploding. The massive run up they've had the last 25 years had to end eventually.

No, it's a gigantic debt fueled bubble that is imploding. The amount of debt is staggering and cannot be sustained with "USA like" growth. Their stock market is down 40% since May of last year and is still down 50% from 2008.

Peter Pano

There's a new kid on the block with a lot to prove. With a background in retail and none in amusement parks, Bob Chapek is acting the only way he knows how: demand cuts anywhere and everywhere. :(

tumblr_no9xzfd1mB1rvhqlvo3_500.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom