Could Disney soon release Captain EO and other 3D films on DVD?

Figment632

Original Poster
As of right now TVs can't produce quality 3D images but Sony is currently working on a TV capable of producing 3D images, available next year. Thiswas reported by 1210 radio out of Philly.

Does anyone know anything about this and could Disneyrealease DVD's of their 3D attractions?

DisneyCane

There are a lot of TV's (well all tv's in fact) that can produce 3D. All TV's can do the Red/Blue Anaglyph 3D. Many many TVs built in the last few years are cabable of sequential 3D with active LCD glasses.

If they wanted to release attraction films in 3D on DVD they could have done it long ago. I just don't think there's much of a market for it. Theme park "4D" shows are done with the in theater effects in mind. It wouldn't really be all that exciting to see just the film in your living room.

Personally, I think 3D is best suited for theme park type shows with a few minutes of over the top 3D effects. All of the 3D feature films I've seen would have been just as enjoyable (or just as bad) if they were just in regular 2D. They'd give people a headache if they made a 90 - 120 minute film with things flying out of the screen all over the place. Also, there are limitations to what areas of the screen can be used for "in your face" 3D effects (you lose the ability to have a 3D effect the closer to the edge of the screen you get). You can compose shots around it for a 5 - 10 minute show but not a long movie.

Figment632

Original Poster
Do you know anything about this Sony TV because the radio made it sound like the TV was capable of producing 3D effects and mentioned maybe even without glasses?

DisneyCanadian

If there is a market for it Disney would do and probably would have done it already.

However, if they were to do it, they could make it similar to the Pixar Shorts DVD? Perhaps in that same manner, but I agree with a previous poster, Disney probably would have done this long ago, but I don't think there is a demand for it.

the-reason14

Well the new toy story mania game coming out in a few weeks is suppose to have some 3d aspects in it. And they said that the Gforce game for the ps3 has 3d stuff in it too. Toy Story Mania will come with 2 pairs of 3d glasses.

disney-dan

as far as i'm aware the new sony tv is able to take a 2d image and make it 3d. you still need the glasses. with that tv you could watch any of your disney dvds and have them in 3d. if you can get the content your current tv will display the interlaced 3d image, you just need the glasses to make it work

Kamikaze

As of right now TVs can't produce quality 3D images but Sony is currently working on a TV capable of producing 3D images, available next year. Thiswas reported by 1210 radio out of Philly.

Does anyone know anything about this and could Disneyrealease DVD's of their 3D attractions?

There are 3D TVs already on the market.

SeaCastle

I doubt Disney would release theme park movies on DVD, solely because of how much it would cost them in contracts. I don't believe (but I could be wrong) that when, let's say, It's Tough to be a Bug or Muppet*Vision were created, their contracts didn't include releasing the film commercially. Rewriting those contracts would be a huge PITA. On top of that, if Disney did decide to release them without changing the contracts, Disney could see legal trouble, there are unions to deal with and such. This is similar to the reason most theme park music will never get released officially.

DisneyCanadian

As I said earlier, Disney would have likely done this already. It would be fun, I would definately buy it, the quality would be much better than YouTube, but I don't see it happening.

You may as well take it a step further and have ride-through footage of the rides also available on DVD.

JWG

You may as well take it a step further and have ride-through footage of the rides also available on DVD.

I doubt it. Wouldn't it create talent/entertainment pay issues once a cast member becomes an actor depending on the attraction (i.e. Jungle Cruise - sorry SirGoofy, I know that's a sore spot)?

Also, would I be as likely to visit if I could just drop $20 on the DVD? Yes if I'm far away, maybe not if I'm local? I dunno... #2 here is a poor argument, even I admit it.

I still think it would create issues around licensing, pay, unions, etc. to turn an attraction into a show/movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom