Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Huh? Fully vaccinated AND with a less than 1% (closer to .1%) of cases coming from outdoor settings, and you would still choose to wear a mask outdoors in order to make people feel better and not be judged? Your choice but I would say, let them judge and when they question you, tell them, "I am vaccinated! Once you get vaccinated you don't have to wear a mask either! Be like me. Now git her done!!"
Only if I were close to other people, yes, I'd still mask up to put others at ease.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Huh? Fully vaccinated AND with a less than 1% (closer to .1%) of cases coming from outdoor settings, and you would still choose to wear a mask outdoors in order to make people feel better and not be judged? Your choice but I would say, let them judge and when they question you, tell them, "I am vaccinated! Once you get vaccinated you don't have to wear a mask either! Be like me. Now git her done!!"
After one or 2 posts I didn’t want to say anything and scare you away but here goes anyway....welcome back 🥳🎉👍

Wendy Pleakley

So I have been lurking in this thread from the beginning, and have stayed out of it since I’m not a fan of the way people get ridiculed for every single thought they have.

I do have a question that I would like to submit.

If you are 100% vaccinated as I am, why would you feel the need to wear a mask.

I’m not talking about policy, I understand why we need the mask mandate since you don’t know who is vaccinated.

I’m talking about if you are in a situation where a mask is not required , let’s say in an outdoor shopping mall.

This way of thinking seems like no matter what improves the goalposts will just be moved.
What is it going to take?

This is why we need 46 to step up and set a target. Even if the states don’t have to follow it.

Otherwise we will have vaccinated people living scared of something that they statistically will not catch and most certainly will not die from.

If you are vaccinated go live your life.

Ultimately, the goal is to get COVID under control if not outright eliminated.

While the risk of infection and transmission is low once vaccinated for the individual, the goal is still herd immunity.

One issue is, if you make masks optional for the vaccinated you're making them optional for everyone. Many people will simply choose not to wear a mask at that point despite not being vaccinated.

We're still at the point where relaxing the rules will potentially result in COVID continuing to spread to an unreasonable degree.

Tony the Tigger

I see it as a fair point in terms of public policy. There is a difference between Bill or Tony making a personal decision in light of the statistics you cite, and government actors using emergency powers to police people during a situation which is arguably not an emergency.

There absolutely are good outcomes when decision-making power is removed from government authorities and handed to individuals and business owners. The most glaring example is businesses which were forbidden to open for normal operations can decide for themselves how and whether to reopen. There are business owners in Florida (and elsewhere) who benefit here. I think we have tunnel vision when we assume that our own experience/reaction to a policy change is the only one.

To your first paragraph:

Nope. Bill and Tony are not making a personal decision at all. How can it be a personal decision when it potentially affects (to the point of potentially killing) other citizens, not just us? Also, no, there is no arguing South Florida has not been in an emergency. You may be able to say that about some parts of Florida, but not Palm Beach to Dade Counties.

I have zero faith in individuals making the right decisions; and that mistrust has already been validated 500,000 times over.

To your second paragraph:

Nope. Absolutely do not trust "business owners" as a group to make the right decision in deciding for themselves how and whether to reopen. Again, this is not hypothetical; we've seen it play out with business owners being irresponsible and causing spread. It's not even debatable. There are business owners like myself who go out of my way to protect my staff and customers. There are others who just want the almighty dollar and don't care who dies. That's where government has to step in.

Did I like being closed for two months? No. It was terrifying. It was trial by fire. But, by the time we reopened, we (society) had at least a better handle on things and I as a business owner knew what steps to take to remain reasonably safe (for everyone.)

I don't know how some businesses rationalize knowingly letting people get very ill just to make money, but if you let them self-regulate, you have worse outcomes overall, for certain.

Last edited:

hopemax

It’s not even “poorer” education. This pandemic has revealed how much even our “good” education systems have been failing us before remote learning. Very educated people buying into bunk because they aren’t familiar enough with basic concepts so that red flags are raised when they encounter dubious information.

I’m sure somebody is refusing antibiotics because the doctors have flipped flopped. Now it’s “bacteria” and not the bad air. What’s next?
I am way behind today on this thread. Spent today at Universal. We are going again next week. Night at Portofino, Express Pass, so most of our attractions are for next week. Today was about the new stuff, for me. Velocicoaster and the Bourne Show. While waiting outside pre-opening, and in the sunny part of the queues I saw masks below noses, but otherwise everyone was wearing their masks properly. The 3' is kind of pointless, no one was really following the tape markers. But people were respecting space and not getting right up behind you either. I did see one TM tell someone to cover their nose. Hand sanitizer before FJ, Velocicoaster and Hogwarts Express. My overall feeling was that everyone was taking care, and it wasn't the free for all, some reports implied. Masks were fine for breathing, it's the sweating that's the problem.

Anyway... IMO, I think there is an underlying distrust not only toward government but to the free market. I previously mentioned how people don't seem to have much confidence in experts, which means the "specialized division of labor" part, must not be working right. Also, people are too conditioned to believe that someone is always trying to screw them. For smart people, they see how their employers, and businesses they encounter, stack the deck in their favor and not customers or employees under the guise of "fiduciary responsibility" so everyone is trying so hard not to get taken, that this time it's their distrust that is resulting in them getting taken. Go to Disney, and we all try to learn all the tricks, and avoid the gotchas to make sure we're not overpaying or missing out on something. We are so used to needing to find the angles, and weak points to make sure we find value. This is an unanticipated consequence of an environment that is, by design, intended to be ruthless. Now we really need people to trust pharmaceuticals, medical personal and political leaders and it's not a surprise that people are hesitant, because for so long and recently they have taught people not to trust them. For so long, it only mattered how much money got made, but the adversarial relationships are a problem for things like this.

I don't think it's the "school" education that's the problem so much as the "life" education. That's the common denominator between people of different ethnicities, education levels, income levels, political leaning. People can't take a situation at face value (covid is bad, vaccines are good), because we know that is rarely the case.

ImperfectPixie

Still 6 feet? Didn’t the CDC update to say there is no difference between 3 and 6 feet?
Yes. We went from this same mandate last spring to masks outdoors in public ALWAYS because compliance was absolutely non-existent outdoors (a skate park in our town had to be closed multiple times because the teenagers weren't masking and were hanging out shoulder-to-shoulder and cases were traced back to that group, as an example). We just changed back to 6' distance not very long ago (within a month). Our governor has thankfully been very nuanced in his approach to the virus and has set a timeline for easing restrictions and mandates, provided that we continue to do well with getting cases down and vaccination rates.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I'm getting my 2nd shot tomorrow. We have a "masks outside when 6' distance cannot be maintained" mandate in place right now.

Even after I'm fully protected and if the mandate wasn't in place, I'll still wear a mask around others outdoors in public...because they have no way of knowing whether I'm vaccinated or just an anti-masker. I rather be extra courteous than worry about a few minutes of comfort.
A very good point... and why DW & I are looking into THIS (assuming it's not "banned" by someone). Businesses and individuals need some form of accepted visual "I'm Vaccinated" token. We hold ZERO financial interest in this new, promising product:

Worth noting: It's not a "passport". It DOES allow you, or another, to do a code scan & pull up web based IMAGE of your uploaded CDC COVID19 card. Beats walking around with the original pinned to your shirt :).

Last edited:

ABQ

Maddison Square Garden 1973?
since I'm closer to the west coast, I'll take this one:
1620766079399.png

Holy crap, 1977 Led Zeppelin and Judas Priest together? Wow!

hopemax

In some ways he is right. For starters, India in many areas is like China, Japan, NYC and so on. They live on top of each other. Add in larger family households, many unclean and unsanitary infrastructures, a weaker health care system and so on. I just couldn't see it being that horrific here.
What would be horrific to Americans though? While the previous administration did downplay aspects of the situation, and try to make political hay, there was recognition behind the scenes that this was a serious thing. There were recommendations and restrictions, it wasn't the same denial of reality that Brazil and Indian leaders were presenting. If we had no vaccine, and none of our restrictions, and one of these more transmissible variants hit us, we would have had more NYC's and border TX situations. We know those places had refrigerator trucks. We know those places sent people home with monitors. We know that hospitals in places had to make decisions about who would get the ICU care and who wouldn't. More people would have been at risk of not having proper care. There would have been more "at home" deaths. Usually, this means you make a phone call and the body is removed in a short amount of time. But what if the deaths were so great that, even if you are in your nice home, when you call they can't be there to remove the body for 3 days? Would that be horrific to Americans?

We wouldn't have cremations in the parks. But I do think there are things that could have happened that would be unfathomable that could happen in a country like ours.

Trauma

Ok so I guess it’s my time to get banned even though I just showed up. I feel like a year of pent up anger at this whole thing is coming out of me at once.

Corona virus is a deadly pandemic - fact

We have a vaccines that eliminate 99.99 % percent of the risk to you personally - fact

Vaccines are free and readily accessible to all adults and soon some younger teens - fact

If you are too lazy, stupid or both to get vaccinated I am done caring about you period. Why ? Because you don’t care about me or society as a whole.

Don’t bore me with you junk science anti vax garbage either.

Furthermore I hope insurance companies stop covering any covid related medical expenses of the unvaccinated. Personal freedom right?

Why should I have to pay increased premiums due to your inability to care about anything other than yourself?

For the pc police in this thread I understand some people can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons or have autoimmune disease that still put them at risk even after vaccination. To them I’m truly sorry this is a horrible situation for you.

For everyone else who doesn’t get vaccinated just remember when society and this country you claim to love, needed you to step up, you showed your true colors.

That of a coward.

sullyinMT

So I got my 14 year old a vaccine appointment for Friday so hopefully that CDC approval comes through 👍👍👍

They are doing a vaccine clinic at his middle school on May 20 but he said he wanted to go as soon as possible so Friday it is.
How’d you do it? I’ve contemplated lying about my son’s age to make an appointment with CVS, but with the wide open availability here it probably not changes things by a day or two anyway.

GeneralZod

Ok so I guess it’s my time to get banned even though I just showed up. I feel like a year of pent up anger at this whole thing is coming out of me at once.

Corona virus is a deadly pandemic - fact

We have a vaccines that eliminate 99.99 % percent of the risk to you personally - fact

Vaccines are free and readily accessible to all adults and soon some younger teens - fact

If you are too lazy, stupid or both to get vaccinated I am done caring about you period. Why ? Because you don’t care about me or society as a whole.

Don’t bore me with you junk science anti vax garbage either.

Furthermore I hope insurance companies stop covering any covid related medical expenses of the unvaccinated. Personal freedom right?

Why should I have to pay increased premiums due to your inability to care about anything other than yourself?

For the pc police in this thread I understand some people can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons or have autoimmune disease that still put them at risk even after vaccination. To them I’m truly sorry this is a horrible situation for you.

For everyone else who doesn’t get vaccinated just remember when society and this country you claim to love, needed you to step up, you showed your true colors.

That of a coward.
Good NPC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom