Coronado Springs or Port Orleans?

Skooterkid

I've just began planning my vacation for August-September 2012 and have narrowed my hotel choices down to three - Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter. I've been going to Disney World for years, but this will be the first time staying on property, so I was wondering which of the three offers the best Disney experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Pete C

I have stayed at POFQ and Coronado, and spent time with family staying at POR. My thoughts are, go with POFQ.

Coronado Springs
Pros:
-Nicest Pool area of these 3 with a great theme
-Nice walk path around a lake

Cons:
-Food court sucks, I hate everything about it. Most expensive, convoluted process, and below average food
-Theme of the resort's exteriors are not really up to Disney standard IMO. It looks tacky.
-Very spread out, could be a very long walk to lobby area

POR
Pros:
-Serene atmosphere for walking, nice setting
-2nd best pool of these 3
-Good food court

Cons:
-Theme is boring IMO. While the setting is pretty, the buildings don't really do it for me personally. However, if you are really into a natural setting this might be your favorite.
-Has to share busses with POFQ often and you will not get a place to sit
-Spread out and could be a long walk to lobby

POFQ
Pros:
-Best theme of all the moderates. Very close to Deluxe-level theming both on building exteriors and lobby (better in some cases)
-Compact, walkable...easy to get from any building to the lobby or bus station
-Shared busses always stop at POFQ first before hitting POR
-Good food court
-Live music at night in the lobby bar

Cons:
-Weakest pool of these 3

Upvote 0

John

I have also stayed at all three. Coronado as far asI am concerned wouldnt even be a consideration. WHy everything the previous poster metioned multiplied. Just way to big! My vote goes for Riverside. The grounds are wonderful. Pay a couple bucks and get a prefered room. Building 14 or 15. Just a few feet away from the food court. Also a "onsite" Table service resturant that isnt that bad. Had some nice meals there. I agree that French Quater has a nicer pool. Plus Riverside does have Piano Bob. Great entertainment. Everyone should see Bob atleast once. Honestly you couldnt go wrong with either Port Orleans resort. Even if you choose FQ, Riverside is just a little walk away. Both can be very romantic and to me the best two moderate resorts on property.

Upvote 0

jayhawkmickey

My wife and I stayed at POR and loved all of it except the busses. I guess it depends on the trip you want. If you want quiet beautiful grounds, a great food court, and romantic atmosphere more than convienent busses go with POR. Better pool and quicker pick ups on the busses go with POFQ. Both resorts are great and with the boats from DTD they are easy to travel between the two or just walk over. I don't know about Coronado Springs but POR is worth the price.

Upvote 0

10Magic

Coronado every time!

This one's easy! Coronado Springs is your best bet. The bus system there is the best I've seen anywhere. There are (I think) nine buildings. Ask for Casita #4. That puts your right by Bus Stop number 2. That's the FIRST of four stops every time. You're the first on the bus, and the first OFF the bus. You're also right by the "quiet" pool, which at Coronado (due to convention people in large numbers) is actually QUIET! There are far fewer kids running and screaming than any other resort. The layout is spread out, but everything's within sight around one big lake. The food court is not as good as other places, but it's more than fine. The main pool and play area is fantastic. Quick ride to Epcot, Studios, and Animal Kingdom. Trust me, I've done Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach, and Coronado blows them away!!

Upvote 0
I`ve always loked Riverside, as there are the boats to Downtown Disney and also you can walk to the French Quarter to have a bigger choice of dining!!
I guess Coronado would be good if you liked Blizzard Beach.

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

Small size of POFQ and great theme make this my fave mod. Upgrade to a river view for a small daily cost and you'll like it even more..beautiful view, quiet but still a couple minute walk to everything, horse and carriage going by from POR and a quick trip to the pool also. WDW's gem.

Upvote 0

Skooterkid

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice everyone! :D It's amazing how large the difference of opinion is on this subject. I've checked all the forums and there are some strong arguments and some hardcore supporters of each of the three hotels. I'm thinking at the moment of staying at POR, but I might yet be swayed. I'm gonna leave it a week before I book anything, just to be sure I make the right decision :)

Upvote 0

wdwshelby

We have stayed at POR three times and CSR once (about to be twice). I like many things about POR including the theme, food court, boats to DD, bar and beautiful grounds, but I think CSR has a slight edge. The pool area is way better. The resort has three places to enjoy a beverage. The rooms are really nice with a door separating the sink and bed areas. They have queen beds! I like the food court although it is expensive (doesn't matter though if you are on the DDP). The buses were empty-never had to stand and I was there Thanksgiving weekend! Almost every destination is a short ride away. I have never stayed at POFQ.
No matter which you choose, you can't go wrong. I think they all have positive things about them. Good luck planning!

Upvote 0

maxairmike

My mother and I have stayed at Coronado every time for any visit longer than 2 days. We love the rooms, and the theme is outstanding. It really feels more like a deluxe than all the other moderates IMO, and I attribute that to the convention center. The pool is great, and if you like a late night soak in the hot tub, it can be a fun evening if there's a convention going on. One night I was out there and a group of conventioners were there as well, and one of them had a guitar. With the copious amounts of beer and alcohol it made for a fun sing-along time (I do believe I was the only sober one), and the security guards were gracious enough to go get a large stack of plastic cups for the group. :lol:

I've walked around Port Orleans, and while I absolutely loved the natural beauty of Riverside, both my mom and I found French Quarter to be rather tacky. I've spent some time in New Orleans (post-Katrina doing cleanup work), and even then, the real FQ looked a fair bit cleaner and well kept than POFQ. So my vote goes to Coronado, only try to stay in the Cabanas and Haciendas if you want to stay away from the convention crowd. Oh, and the hammocks around the lake. Love those as well.

Upvote 0

ladydi

I've stayed in POR and CSR and I would definitely recommend CSR. Grounds are lovely and quiet. It is big-but buses were not a problem and the pools were fun for the kids. Food court is not the greatest so we generally ate in the parks. Closest thing to a deluxe without the huge price tag. I didn't like the theming of POR. We were in the Alligator Bayou and all the vegetation along the paths creeped me out at night. We also got turned around a few times and had problems finding our room. Never stayed at POFQ

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

I'd recommend CSR! Besides having a great main pool area, CSR also offers many deluxe amenities at a mod price.

CSR has queen beds and the rooms have been recently renovated and are gorgeous. The rooms also have a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room instead of a privacy curtain like the other mods (can be good for little ones napping in a pack n play).

Amenities include a fitness center, spa, free wi-fi, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night club.

The resort offers the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

CSR has the largest hot tub of the mods and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The pool, slide and playground area is great and all located in one area at the main pool.

Bus service is terrific and is not shared with another resort.

Upvote 0

NikiMouse

We just got back from our 1st ever stay at CSR and I have to say I was impressed. I loved the queen beds as well as the wooden door to the bathroom area. Our kids loved the pool.

I though the food court offered many choices and was very good quality wise. It is more costly than others but we enjoyed it.

We stayed it Casitas #5 by request. We chose that building because it was withing easy walking distance to both the pool and food court. Also very near to bus stop #1 as someone else mentioned.

Hope you have a GREAT time on your trip!!!

Upvote 0

rachelredfearn

Any idea what the COST is to use the Fitness Center, Sauna or to TAN?

Any info on the night club?
THX:)

Amenities include a fitness center, spa, free wi-fi, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night club.

I'd recommend CSR! Besides having a great main pool area, CSR also offers many deluxe amenities at a mod price.

CSR has queen beds and the rooms have been recently renovated and are gorgeous. The rooms also have a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room instead of a privacy curtain like the other mods (can be good for little ones napping in a pack n play).

The resort offers the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

CSR has the largest hot tub of the mods and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The pool, slide and playground area is great and all located in one area at the main pool.

Bus service is terrific and is not shared with another resort.

Upvote 0

emcclay

Coronado! It may be a large resort, but it is beautiful. I would seriously live there if it were possible. Definitely a super relaxing place.

Upvote 0

notslim99

French Quarter was fantastic when the DW and I stayed in March 2011. We stayed in Building 1, which was newly remodeled. It's the farthest building from the lobby, but it was an easy 3 minute stroll. You cannot go wrong with POFQ. We're taking our four year old in March of 2012, and we will be staying at Riverside in one of the Antebellum buildings. I have high hopes that it will be just as great.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

In order:
Port Orleans French Quarter for best size and bus service
Port Orleans Riverside for best landscaping and ambiance
and
Never Coronado Springs....
Unless you are going to a convention, avoid Corn at all costs -- it's like staying in a huge Ramada Inn...

Upvote 0

Pete C

You all keep mentioning the Queen beds at CSR. As of right now, all POFQ rooms have been refurbed and have Queen beds, and by the time the OP goes on his vacation, all POR rooms will have been refurbed as well. The Queen beds are a non-factor because they will all have them.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

Well, if it was me, I'd go with Carribbean Beach Resort, the original moderate. I like the theme better than either of those under consideration, as well as the more central location.

But of the locations you are considering, I'd definitely go with Port Orleans

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom