connect the Animal Kingdom by monorail

Goofyernmost

This is silly excuse. It's purely cost.
Indeed. The end.
This is disappointing that people that always seem to be able to reason and accept other thoughts are all of a sudden unable to connect that whether something is worth spending money on or not is directly connected to what is thought of as rate of return or in simpler terms... degree of risk vs. benefit.

Also Marni... up until that conversation closing response as if issued by a god of some sort, I always had nothing but respect for you. That was way below your reputation and should be way below your knowledge. I was really saddened to see that from you. Oh, well... I guess yet another illusion is shattered. Everyone, especially you, should know that I am not saying that is the only reason for it, but, all decisions relating justifying expenditure is based on things that go much deeper then "how much does it cost". Discussion also includes will it's inclusion enhance and give back it's expense in at least an equalizing degree. This does not anymore and will not anymore, plus the degree of liability is probably higher then any other thing on site. So yes, money is involved, but, all things are considered before any money is spent, not generally just money being spent.

BTW, if you don't want the silliness to continue.... Don't respond to it!!!!!!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If it was so dangerous not to expand it, it would be too dangerous to continue to run. And I do speak from my knowledge when I say cost. Sorry to disappoint you.

I would say "simple" but I'd hate to be considered god like. For those that believe in that. Stop being so dramatic and stop getting your knickers in a twist when others don't agree with you. Please.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Martin merely confirmed that your statements are not accurate (again). Nothing he said was even remotely offensive, nor warranting such an antagonistic and immature response. He has information directly from the horse's mouth that it's a money issue, not safety related.

This has not been the first time you've attempted to spread false information. It has also not been the first time Martin, Lee or someone of their knowledge has stepped in to confirm your opinions are incorrect. But whereas they've always been respectful in doing so, you ignore what they have to say or try to devalue their word by acting offended. I would blame no one at this point for losing patience with your (now numerous) attempts to spread false information, along with the tantrums you throw when your opinions are debunked...

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
What about an AK Railroad from TTC to AK? It could run parallel to the road and be decked out in the Rainforest look.

I suggested this earlier, it could be a larger version and be themed as you say.

As far as the monorail goes, How much could it possibly cost, it's a project like any other they do. You plan for it you reserve funds and you do it. I think this falls into the category of how the parks were left with no real investment for a long time. Remember we were talking about the prices being raised to cut down on crowds. The monorail access to AK would direct folks there and thin crowds.
AK is not any easy park to hop.

French Quarter

Monorails aren't about saving time or money. They're about the experience. I'd rather take half an hour to hop on a monorail than fifteen minutes on a bus. I count the monorail as a ride, so it's not wasted time. Also I don't even mind queuing for the monorail. The monorail queues feel like I'm still in the park. The bus queues feel like I'm in the parking lot.

But for Disney they are sort of about money, right? Or else they would be throughout the whole property. I think they have to balance experience with money.

French Quarter

How can some claim a bus is safer? A large vehicle sharing the road with tourists usually unsure were they are heading. The bus is traveling with unseat belted standing passengers between 40 -50 mph. Also subjected to bad weather conditions. They are also subject to the drivers skills.

As opposed to a monorail on a defined track with no other traffic to deal with.
There are probably 10 times the bus accident scenarios compare to the monorail.

Ummm...I didn't? Go back and read what I actually wrote. I said that the monorails are obviously infinitely safer than buses.

Last edited:

French Quarter

Yea, that sounds like a fun afternoon. I am not talking about something where you have unlimited time to escape. I'm talking about emergency exiting. Popping the hatches and climbing up to the roof may be a possibility for a young person, but, if the thing is on fire and I have to do that and scurry across a roof then slide down the nose (hoping that I aim right so I can hit the top of the 2 foot wide rail safely) is not my idea of a wondrous journey or even a possibility. I ride the Monorails all the time, but, it is a leap of faith every time I do. If something catastrophic happens I would end up looking like a very oversized turkey leg.

Have you ever tried to escape a crashed motor vehicle? Emergencies aren't pleasant.

But this a ridiculous conversation. It's like talking about what to do if you get struck by lightening. It's just not relevant.

French Quarter

Not sure what you mean by meaningful. What it will take is something that will get the families with young kids to want to go somewhere other than the MK OR sink a ton of money into really expanding the MK as much as possible. Realistically, the other three parks are not that child friendly. They don't have the castle and all the nostalgia and sentimentality of the MK. I'm not sure there will ever be an answer for that.

You don't find AK to be child-friendly? I'm not sure what you mean.

French Quarter

What about an AK Railroad from TTC to AK? It could run parallel to the road and be decked out in the Rainforest look.

I really like that idea a lot. It seems like it would fit really well with the theme and you would step into the AK experience as soon as you got aboard.

As much as I love the monorails, even if cost wasn't an issue, I'm not sure that they really fit with AK.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
So let's get back to the original point. If people are justifying the ticket changes because Disney is trying to make the parks less crowded and a better experience for us then connecting the monorail to the furthest park would accomplish all of this. If some of the crowds could be shifted to the AK then it's a win. Let's stop acting like we have been hired as bean counters for Disney.
There are no money issues at Disney this company is cash rich. A monorail or train to the AK will add easy access and some additional excitement to the parks. The four parks would be joined and have synergy. The AK seems like a step child right now.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
So then why they are building a new land and a new nighttime show?

They need the new content to expand the hours and it's an even bigger argument for some new transportation options. Getting to the AK is not easy, the AK by distance makes it a park you don't hop easily. it needs a connection to the others to make it feel like a part of the group and thin the crowds.

rob0519

You don't find AK to be child-friendly? I'm not sure what you mean.[

AK doesn't hold a child's attention the same way MK does. Look at what's at MK for kids. Attractions based on a number of movies they've probably seen multiple times, but attractions built to appeal to younger kids and the parents sense of nostalgia from when they came the WDW as children. AK cannot compare to the following list for being child friendly.

Cinderella Castle
WDW Railroad
Jungle Cruise
Aladdin
POC
Barnstormer
Dumbo
Under the Sea
It's a Small World
Mad Tea Party
Winnie the Pooh
Peter Pan
Prince Charming's Carrousel
Buzz Lightyear
Monsters Inc.
Tomorrowland Speedway
Multiple Meet and Greets
Multiple Parades

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Getting to the AK is not easy, the AK by distance makes it a park you don't hop easily. it needs a connection to the others to make it feel like a part of the group and thin the crowds.
There is an effort to discourage park hopping.

For the pros and cons of how much monorails cost try a thread search. It's been discussed numerous times.

Having money doesn't mean they want to spend it. See Space Mountain, most of Futureworld etc etc

Retroman40

I really don't think it's feasible to try to expand the current monorail system. What I would love to see is a second monorail line between DAK and DHS that crosses the current system somewhere just north of where World Drive and Epcot Center Drive meet. They wouldn't necessarily have to be the same type monorails since the existing maintenance facility isn't big enough for additional trains. The facility for these trains could be in the woods between AK and the Epcot line. I could also see a hotel being built near Lake Bambi that would have access to both lines and super easy access to all four parks. Of course, the stations would have to be close enough to walk to park entrances or you defeat the purpose a bit. I know you also need a big loop or a switching complex to turn them around and that could be problematic although solvable. The cost? A lot! I guess a fella can dream (in wide screen as Ellen would say), right?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They need the new content to expand the hours and it's an even bigger argument for some new transportation options. Getting to the AK is not easy, the AK by distance makes it a park you don't hop easily. it needs a connection to the others to make it feel like a part of the group and thin the crowds.
Procedure for getting to AK from any of the other three parks.

1. Get on bus marked "Animal Kingdom".
2. Wait while bus driver drives to Animal Kingdom
3 Exit the bus.

Travel time from each park:
Epcot 16 minutes
MK 21 minutes
DHS 24 minutes

Yep, that is way too complicated. It is a miracle anyone can navigate that transportation labyrinth.

HRHPrincessAriel

Procedure for getting to AK from any of the other three parks.

1. Get on bus marked "Animal Kingdom".
2. Wait while bus driver drives to Animal Kingdom
3 Exit the bus.

Travel time from each park:
Epcot 16 minutes
MK 21 minutes
DHS 24 minutes

Yep, that is way too complicated. It is a miracle anyone can navigate that transportation labyrinth.
dont bring logic into this!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom