connect the Animal Kingdom by monorail

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
To summarize:
1. Ridiculously expensive to build.
2. Ridiculously expensive to operate.
3. When they go down, buses are needed to bypass them. (You can't bypass a broken monorail on that same monorail line.)
4. Most of us get our monorail fix at Epcot and Magic Kingdom.
5. For the same money, a really cool additional attraction could be built somewhere.
6. Buses, although not as fun, are far more flexible to deploy for openings/closings, etc . . .
7. Monorails were super cool in the 70's; not so much now.

I hope this is helpful.

Monorails are very cool, ask your kid do you want to ride the monorail or the bus to Epcot, let's bet on the answer.

matt9112

Because building a monorail is
trash_money.gif

if that guy was in charge.....we would already have the monorail....easily tucked away where the SEC cant find it =)

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
due to the design i dont think they could theoretically just fall off or over ect. but im no expert. the amount of trains you would need to make that route capacity viable....regardless of the cost to build it.

Or Maybe a train , like the hog warts idea, a train that takes you to animal kingdom? Hey it's Disney they can figure it out.

Goofyernmost

Pop the Emmergency hatches in the ceiling, climb the ladder on to the roof, walk along the roof to a safe area and if all else fails climb down the nose onto the beam using the descent ladder.

Worse case scenario of course.
Yea, that sounds like a fun afternoon. I am not talking about something where you have unlimited time to escape. I'm talking about emergency exiting. Popping the hatches and climbing up to the roof may be a possibility for a young person, but, if the thing is on fire and I have to do that and scurry across a roof then slide down the nose (hoping that I aim right so I can hit the top of the 2 foot wide rail safely) is not my idea of a wondrous journey or even a possibility. I ride the Monorails all the time, but, it is a leap of faith every time I do. If something catastrophic happens I would end up looking like a very oversized turkey leg.

Goofyernmost

Reedy Creek fire department has special equipment specifically for evacuating the monorails.

http://www.reedycreek.org/index.cfm...ail&PhotoID=514&catid=2&section=1&pagenum=127
Yes...this is what I was thinking of.
Well, they still have to get to you and it takes a while for that to happen.
They are infinitely safer than buses, obviously. So I'm not getting your point.
Obviously you aren't getting my point, so there is no sense in repeating over and over what I have been saying. If you don't understand it, nothing more will add to the point.
How can some claim a bus is safer? A large vehicle sharing the road with tourists usually unsure were they are heading. The bus is traveling with unseat belted standing passengers between 40 -50 mph. Also subjected to bad weather conditions. They are also subject to the drivers skills.

As opposed to a monorail on a defined track with no other traffic to deal with.
There are probably 10 times the bus accident scenarios compare to the monorail.
Yes, they are exposed to more possibilities, but, whatever that possibility it won't leave you 40 feet + in the air. There may be more hazards, but, they contain lesser chances of serious injuries or entrapment. Can't remember the last time I saw seat belts in the Monorail either and they have already proven, more then once, that things can and do run into them, once with death resulting.

rob0519

Nothing will thin the crowds except meaningful expansion.

Not sure what you mean by meaningful. What it will take is something that will get the families with young kids to want to go somewhere other than the MK OR sink a ton of money into really expanding the MK as much as possible. Realistically, the other three parks are not that child friendly. They don't have the castle and all the nostalgia and sentimentality of the MK. I'm not sure there will ever be an answer for that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I ride the Monorails all the time,
Luckily you have the option of a ferryboat, car or bus.

Accidents happen. It's a fact of life. Even with a gross breakdown of every protocol leading to a worse case scenario. If you get so worried you wouldn't leave the house. And then could still die falling down the stairs.

Risks are just minimised as far as possible.

What happened today seems not to have been an accident but another case of technical issues.

G00fyDad

If you google .disney bus accident. You will see how dangerous Disney buses can be.

So your solution is more monorails? Do you have any idea how many trains and how many rails would have to be installed to eliminate the need for the buses? Safe or not the buses are the best option.

Goofyernmost

Luckily you have the option of a ferryboat, car or bus.

Accidents happen. It's a fact of life. Even with a gross breakdown of every protocol leading to a worse case scenario. If you get so worried you wouldn't leave the house. And then could still die falling down the stairs.

Risks are just minimised as far as possible.

What happened today seems not to have been an accident but another case of technical issues.
Why is everyone just trying to turn this into an accident scenario? I only used that example because of the post that was talking about buses running into things or things running into buses. My concern is not that they run into things, my concern is in response to why Disney will never extend the Monorail tracks and why. If the situation from yesterday were to have been bus related, within 5 minutes people would have just casually stepped off the bus and into another with no hassle at all other then a few minutes lost time. If anyone looked at that video you can see that not only did it take ages to get there the adventure of being offloaded was just beginning. That is why Disney no longer has any interest in expanding the lines. When mechanical things happen, which they will no matter what degree of maintenance is applied, a whole bunch of different dangers and new adventures await the guests. Now lets carry that one step forward and say that there is a fire. How many people would have survived with no place to go. Open an escape hatch and it becomes a chimney. There is no place to go quickly to escape immediate harm.

Now everyone can rest knowing that the chances of that happening are pretty slim, it still is possible and that is what is the topic of why there is no motivation, at all, to expand it. Bury heads in the sand all we want, it is something that any thinking company would not only be aware of, but, also be concerned about very much. It only takes once!

Mike C

Why is everyone just trying to turn this into an accident scenario? I only used that example because of the post that was talking about buses running into things or things running into buses. My concern is not that they run into things, my concern is in response to why Disney will never extend the Monorail tracks and why. If the situation from yesterday were to have been bus related, within 5 minutes people would have just casually stepped off the bus and into another with no hassle at all other then a few minutes lost time. If anyone looked at that video you can see that not only did it take ages to get there the adventure of being offloaded was just beginning. That is why Disney no longer has any interest in expanding the lines. When mechanical things happen, which they will no matter what degree of maintenance is applied, a whole bunch of different dangers and new adventures await the guests. Now lets carry that one step forward and say that there is a fire. How many people would have survived with no place to go. Open an escape hatch and it becomes a chimney. There is no place to go quickly to escape immediate harm.

Now everyone can rest knowing that the chances of that happening are pretty slim, it still is possible and that is what is the topic of why there is no motivation, at all, to expand it. Bury heads in the sand all we want, it is something that any thinking company would not only be aware of, but, also be concerned about very much. It only takes once!

This is silly excuse. It's purely cost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom