Coming in 2018: The Year of Pixar

Californian Elitist

That's not what I said. What I said was isn't the whole reason to watch a parade was to go crazy over things that are familiar. Kids go crazy because they see things they know. In fact I know plenty of adults that do that too!

Hmm, if that were true then why put quality into anything kid related? Kids understand more than you think. If it feels fake and ingenuine kids will pick up on it and not like it. They'll get bored and start to complain.

Now I’m confused.

I never said kids don’t know anything about quality. I said they don’t fully understand it. I know there are kids out there who can pick up on quality. But for the most part, kids, specifically young children, will watch, play with, or like anything. This is why Disney doesn’t consistently ask for the opinions of children in the parks. This is also why the whole “as long as children enjoy it, that’s all that matters” excuse is moot to me.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Now I’m confused.

I never said kids don’t know anything about quality. I said they don’t fully understand it. I know there are kids out there who can pick up on quality. But for the most part, kids, specifically young children, will watch, play with, or like anything. This is why Disney doesn’t consistently ask for the opinions of children in the parks. This is also why the whole “as long as children enjoy it, that’s all that matters” excuse is moot to me.

You specifically stated "kids don't care about quality because they don't understand the concept". And I'm saying that's simply not true.

Kids will pick up on things that feel fake. If you've ever seen a kid who cries near a mall Santa you'll understand. They don't know why but knows that its feels fake and not real without even being told. Show that same kid a picture of Santa they know exactly who he is and go crazy. Its not until they are older that we as adults tell them that its real or that he's "Santa's special helper" that they then accept that mall Santa. My point is that kids are smarter and pick up on things more than adults realize. Its when we as adults put our own bias' on things and tell them to kids that they start to think different.

FerretAfros

I find it interesting that the Inside Out float joyfully recreates Bing Bong's death scene. Various deaths have been recreated for in-park entertainment in the past (Maleficent in Fantasmic!, Mufasa in World of Color, etc.) but they've never really been upbeat about it. It will be an odd juxtaposition against the rest of the units, which are more abstract and not really inspired by any specific moments in their respective films. With all the unique imagery in that film, it seems like an odd choice to go with a rather generic wagon from a downer scene
What are the odds that those are some of the drum floats from Soundsational?
I guarantee the Luxo lamp float is a repurposed drum float (which themselves are repurposed 'balloon' floats from Celebrate! A Street Party). The others may or may not be, it's tough to tell from the concept art; it also looks like there's a chance they're driven by the character performers, rather than someone inside the float

I also hope this finally kills those lingering rumors that WDW removed their Luxo lamp AA because of copyright infringement. In reality, it smashed itself into a wall shortly after it debuted and they never bothered to fix it

Californian Elitist

You specifically stated "kids don't care about quality because they don't understand the concept". And I'm saying that's simply not true.

Kids will pick up on things that feel fake. If you've ever seen a kid who cries near a mall Santa you'll understand. They don't know why but knows that its feels fake and not real without even being told. Show that same kid a picture of Santa they know exactly who he is and go crazy. Its not until they are older that we as adults tell them that its real or that he's "Santa's special helper" that they then accept that mall Santa. My point is that kids are smarter and pick up on things more than adults realize. Its when we as adults put our own bias' on things and tell them to kids that they start to think different.

No, I said they don’t “fully” understand the concept. I already agreed that some kids can pick up on things.

What I don’t understand is the correlation between kids liking everything and people liking things that are familiar with them.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What I don’t understand is the correlation between kids liking everything and people liking things that are familiar with them.

Have you never seen full grown adults jump up and down and cry when they see things they are familiar with from their childhood at the parks?

Donald Dutch

PPP1280-624x352.jpg
So why this small new float just for Joy and Sadness, when they have this big float with all the animatronics?

Ismael Flores

So why this small new float just for Joy and Sadness, when they have this big float with all the animatronics?

That float probably doesn’t exist anymore. Somehow I think it was built as a promotional float when movie came out then once it was over they gutted it and used the chasis for something else.

I remember all the other cool floats that dissapeared from Pixar play pal parade before. One that comes in mind was the cool ratatouille float

D

Deleted member 107043

I remember being completely perplexed by the Inside Out float before seeing the movie. Years later, after finally seeing the film, I'm still lost trying to figure out what it's supposed to be.

TP2000

I remember being completely perplexed by the Inside Out float before seeing the movie. Years later, after finally seeing the film, I'm still lost trying to figure out what it's supposed to be.

I never saw that movie, and that extremely weird parade float only made me NOT want to go see the movie. Probably the first time a Disneyland parade has made me do that.

But then, I still miss the Hercules Victory Parade. An excellent and ridiculously fun parade for an inoffensive yet mediocre movie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom