Club 32 - World's Fair, Discoveryland, and Tomorrowland

mickeyfan5534

Temporal Space - An Adventure In Time by @MCParradox
If we're using a temporal idea, I'm always going to bring up Time and Space for use.
9185386_orig.jpg

2456943_orig.jpg

Corey

This seems like it would make a good Halloween maze. Though to me personally I question how something a bit darker like this will fit with the positive view of the future that Tomorrowland is going to represent.

You make a good point. However, I think Tomorrowland was better off with Alien Encounter, but that was removed because it was too scary I guess. I suppose Tomorrowland could be seen as a utopia, but most people these days seem to gravitate towards more dystopian than utopian entertainment. I think there may need to be a little bit of both in order to be realistic.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
You make a good point. However, I think Tomorrowland was better off with Alien Encounter, but that was removed because it was too scary I guess. I suppose Tomorrowland could be seen as a utopia, but most people these days seem to gravitate towards more dystopian than utopian entertainment. I think there may need to be a little bit of both in order to be realistic.
Our basic plan is to organize Tomorrowland in "spaces"
An organizing principle for Tomorrowland: Man's journey to the various "spaces" - outer space, inner space, liquid space (the oceans), cyber space, temporal space (time travel).

Some of the attractions we've wanted to include have been "An Adventure in Time" -- and possibly mickeyfan's time attraction, Soarin' Over the Cosmos, and so on.

mickeyfan5534

Rather thinking utopia/dystopia, think optimism/pessimism for theme.
EDIT:
tomorrowland2.jpg

Here's a good direction for what I want to see aesthetics wise. A big, opulent, grand future of optimism.

Last edited:

Corey

This seems like it would make a good Halloween maze. Though to me personally I question how something a bit darker like this will fit with the positive view of the future that Tomorrowland is going to represent.

Hello @spacemt354, would my attraction Contagion go better at Universal Studios? It also might work at the Epcot pavilion The Land since if I remember correctly, they were exploring the development of higher yield crops (potentially G.M.O.'s), and my lab would supposedly be a Agricultural Research Service lab when it is in reality a secret and illegal biowarfare lab. They could re-theme a good chunk of The Land building into this lab complex and observation room. There might actually be windows into the lab that are in fact monitors displaying recordings of what is happening in the lab. Therefore, you could have guests enter one of a number of lounges (to improve the attractions overall capacity) that when the contagion breaks out turn into control rooms as disaster teams try to find a way of rescuing the unaffected people in the control room. Just a thought.

(Additional thought: If there is enough ride capacity, this could be perhaps up to a 20 minute attraction, with the infection quickly affecting the scientists into being irrational and trying to break out of the lab. Guests might enter on one level, but exit by another so as to not spoil the aesthetics of the attraction. I drew in four control rooms, but there could be eight. I didn't have much room to be creative since I didn't enlarge the image.)

Attachments

• The Land (Epcot).jpg
    The Land (Epcot).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 29
  • The Land (Contagion Attraction)(Epcot).jpg
    The Land (Contagion Attraction)(Epcot).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Hello @spacemt354, would my attraction Contagion go better at Universal Studios? It also might work at the Epcot pavilion The Land since if I remember correctly, they were exploring the development of higher yield crops (potentially G.M.O.'s), and my lab would supposedly be a Agricultural Research Service lab when it is in reality a secret and illegal biowarfare lab. They could re-theme a good chunk of The Land building into this lab complex and observation room. There might actually be windows into the lab that are in fact monitors displaying recordings of what is happening in the lab. Therefore, you could have guests enter one of a number of lounges (to improve the attractions overall capacity) that when the contagion breaks out turn into control rooms as disaster teams try to find a way of rescuing the unaffected people in the control room. Just a thought.

(Additional thought: If there is enough ride capacity, this could be perhaps up to a 20 minute attraction, with the infection quickly affecting the scientists into being irrational and trying to break out of the lab. Guests might enter on one level, but exit by another so as to not spoil the aesthetics of the attraction. I drew in four control rooms, but there could be eight. I didn't have much room to be creative since I didn't enlarge the image.)

Personally it sounds more like a Universal Attraction (just because it seems like more science fiction - while Epcot deals more in a grounded possibility for the future)

Corey

Speaking of Knott's Berry Farm, would it make sense in Discoveryland to have the Autopia attraction instead of in Tomorrowland. You might have a theme similar to the antique cars found in Knott's Tijuana Taxi, though with a lot more ride capacity like Autopia. Also, the realism would be greater since the cars didn't at the time depicted go much faster than 7 miles an hour, unlike the supposed race cars at Autopia and the Magic Kingdom Speedway.

StevenU

If you haven't checked the Club 32 Lounge we may be going through some changes. I volunteered to head the World's Fair Land with @spacemt354 's permission. Here's my idea for it let me know if I'm nuts.

1200px-New_York_World%27s_Fair_August_1964.jpeg

What if World's Fair was the entrance to the park? This feels like a park entrance to me. It could symbolize hope and dreams of mankind, which could transition into Fantasia, which is a celebration of art and fantasy. The park's theme could be hope. And it would start with 2 attractions. It's a small world and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Carousel of Progress could act as a transition into Tomorrowland.

The rides are on the sides of the pathway and instead of the globe, it's Fantasia Castle with fountains all around it. Fantasia Gardens would be called Fantasia Fountains, and there could be a castle fountain show outside, to go along with the Sorcerer's Apprentice ride, like a new Fantasmic show.
WorldsFair1964Unisphere.jpg

Sorry if this throws anything off. I just wanted to get this out there

kmbmw777

If you haven't checked the Club 32 Lounge we may be going through some changes. I volunteered to head the World's Fair Land with @spacemt354 's permission. Here's my idea for it let me know if I'm nuts.

1200px-New_York_World%27s_Fair_August_1964.jpeg

What if World's Fair was the entrance to the park? This feels like a park entrance to me. It could symbolize hope and dreams of mankind, which could transition into Fantasia, which is a celebration of art and fantasy. The park's theme could be hope. And it would start with 2 attractions. It's a small world and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Carousel of Progress could act as a transition into Tomorrowland.

The rides are on the sides of the pathway and instead of the globe, it's Fantasia Castle with fountains all around it. Fantasia Gardens would be called Fantasia Fountains, and there could be a castle fountain show outside, to go along with the Sorcerer's Apprentice ride, like a new Fantasmic show.
WorldsFair1964Unisphere.jpg

Sorry if this throws anything off. I just wanted to get this out there
I really would like to politely contradict with this.

The entrance of the park should represent what the park is. This park is not really an EPCOT, though a section of it is. Using World's Fair as an entrance limits us, I think. Just my 2 cents, don't shoot.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
So to think BOLD like Tom has wanted us to...why don't instead of recreating the World's Fair....we create a NEW World's Fair?

A "permanent" World's Fair entrance...so it's not stuck in time and we can get creative with the building designs and such. We take inspiration from the 1964 World's Fair...but make it our own.

kmbmw777

So to think BOLD like Tom has wanted us to...why don't instead of recreating the World's Fair....we create a NEW World's Fair?

A "permanent" World's Fair entrance...so it's not stuck in time and we can get creative with the building designs and such. We take inspiration from the 1964 World's Fair...but make it our own.
This is much more fitting but idk.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I think this also goes back to the point of ...how does World's Fair connect to the rest of the park. Is it just there for nostalgic purposes, or does it serve a greater purpose to the park's narrative?

I like the idea of hope...but it does feel very Epcot-y....not like that's a bad thing...but especially as the entrance it needs to introduce the park in a way that entices guests. Main Street is very enticing because of its articulate design and weenie at the end of the street.

Plus (another bonus to the MK design) there are no attractions that distract guests on the way towards the castle (mostly all on the way out of the park so you stick around longer - like giftshops and stuff)

Having attractions on the main strip towards the castle would distract me as a guest from getting to the castle...so that may be something to keep in mind just playing devil's advocate

D Hulk

I think this also goes back to the point of ...how does World's Fair connect to the rest of the park. Is it just there for nostalgic purposes, or does it serve a greater purpose to the park's narrative?

I like the idea of hope...but it does feel very Epcot-y....not like that's a bad thing...but especially as the entrance it needs to introduce the park in a way that entices guests. Main Street is very enticing because of its articulate design and weenie at the end of the street.

Plus (another bonus to the MK design) there are no attractions that distract guests on the way towards the castle (mostly all on the way out of the park so you stick around longer - like giftshops and stuff)

Having attractions on the main strip towards the castle would distract me as a guest from getting to the castle...so that may be something to keep in mind just playing devil's advocate
Or the World's Fair attractions can be transitional, by the entrances to the lands they best represent. (Like where Disneyland's Star Tours is located within Tomorrowand's entry, e.g.). Thus Frontierland gets Lincoln, Fantasyland gets small world, Tomorrowland gets COP, and Adventureland gets the Magical Skyway (dinosaurs!!!).

And a World Showcase approach to the park's entry corridor of shops, it could work. It's been done (even at CP parks like Kings Island), so let's take care with that...

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Or the World's Fair attractions can be transitional, by the entrances to the lands they best represent. (Like where Disneyland's Star Tours is located within Tomorrowand's entry, e.g.). Thus Frontierland gets Lincoln, Fantasyland gets small world, Tomorrowland gets COP, and Adventureland gets the Magical Skyway (dinosaurs!!!).

And a World Showcase approach to the park's entry corridor of shops, it could work. It's been done (even at CP parks like Kings Island), so let's take care with that...
I think that could also work! @StevenU -- thoughts on this?

Voxel

President of Progress City

I like this idea, makes the "gates" to the land and make each "Showcase" attraction represent hope and a quality about that area.

Voxel

How about doing cyberspace, and Tron, as a replacement for the Buzz Lightyear shooter ride. Blasting away viruses inside the computer!

A thrilling variation on the Peoplemover (but one that actually works - sorry, Rocket Rods) would be neat too. See pic below, for a proposed (and rejected) fix to Disneyland's Tomorrowland, with like KUKA arm jets (?) along the elevated walkways. (Also the Astro Orbiter above, which naturally has to happen!) Jet bike things to-be-determined zoom across the land for that crucial Tomorrowland kinetics.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-03%20at%2010.37.12%20PM-590x319.png
Dang it, I was just thinking about a jet pack attraction that used KUKA arms to make the ride feel like he was taking a "test ride" on the newest jetpack technology. Great minds think alike.

Voxel

So going of a Thor/tom's idea, we need to think bold and original to initiate the ideas for Tomorrowland and Discoveryland. I think a good step would be to step back and think about how want to define discoveryland and tomorrowland, what is the over arching desire to express. For instance Discoverland can mean multiple things, old school Future World at Epcot could be considered a discoveryland but also the Vernes theme areas are discover of science through older science fiction. Do we want discoveryland and tomorrowland to be Extremely unique different or do you want discoveryland to breathe into tomorrowland, ie the topics and adventures in discoveryland provide life to Tomorrowland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom