Cinderella Reviews

Tony Perkis

I did.

Alice in Wonderland, Oz the Great and Powerful and Maleficent each made over $230 million in the US and at least $500 million worldwide. This suggests that audiences are into these movies, even if critics are not.

However, Cinderella is the first to get a "Certified Fresh" rating amongst any of these recent live action fairy tales (Disney or not) which also suggested there would be strong word of mouth. In addition, Cinderella is a universally known story so there's little to no language barrier when understanding the plot.

2015 so far has seen very few major family releases. Spongebob and Paddington are the only ones I can think of, which explains why Spongebob was still in the top 5 a month after its release. Add in the appeal of a new Frozen cartoon and you have lots of eager kids looking to see something new in movie theatres.

It's also spring break for Canadian kids and probably some Americans as well.

"Put 'em together and what have you got?" Lots of money!
Credit to Disney on the timing of the release as well. Universal is making a very foolish decision opening Fast 7 during the first weekend of March Madness, and Cinderella really doesn't play into the audience that would get caught up in college sports.

Minnie1976

My granddaughter and I went to see Cinderella. We both really enjoyed it. I loved seeing it on the big screen. My only problem was the original music score was missing. They really didn't need the king to die.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just saw it and really enjoyed it. I liked that they didn't find the need to over embellish the story or attempt to over anthropomorphise the animals. It's funny I am a big Game of Thrones fan and even though I read a while back that Richard Madden was playing the Prince I didn't even think of that while watching the movie, I wasn't reminded until I look up the cast on IMDB after the movie.

As for the Frozen short, it was cute, but I liked the Tangled short better.

prberk

My granddaughter and I went to see Cinderella. We both really enjoyed it. I loved seeing it on the big screen. My only problem was the original music score was missing. They really didn't need the king to die.

I agree. Wouldn't that make Cinderella now a queen instead of a princess?

I liked the movie. I can see why it got such rave reviews. My only problem was that I thought the mean stepmother was too obvious in her mean-ness. I think should have been played a little more as shrewd and cunning, and less in-your-face. It would have made more sense.

But the rest of it was well-constructed for a live-action version of the story. Still prefer the animated version, but it is pretty good nonetheless.

And I do wonder if they had been able to throw in the songs as sung by the characters (instead of over the end titles), if it would have been even better.

Tony Perkis

Credit to Disney on the timing of the release as well. Universal is making a very foolish decision opening Fast 7 during the first weekend of March Madness, and Cinderella really doesn't play into the audience that would get caught up in college sports.
I stand corrected. Furious 7 destroyed the competition.

cookiee_munster

i saw it today. i didn't think it was terrible. i just felt like i had been spoon-fed an entire bag of sugar. it was really sickly sweet.

best cinders film so far for me has to be Ever After with Drew Barrymore. great film. this is of course leaving out the disney animated classic which is hands down the best. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom