Cinderella Reviews

GetAPaperBag

Original Poster
So, I saw Cinderella last night and really loved it. I thought the things that were different from the animated version only added to the story without taking anything away from it. It felt magical and heart warming. The acting was really great as well. The actress that played Cinderella was wonderful.

Frozen Fever didn't disappoint either. I thought it was also really well done and it made me that much more excited for Frozen 2!

Animaniac93-98

The movie needs to be seen on the big screen to appreciate just how beautiful and detailed it is. Some scenes (like when Ella and the Prince are in the garden at night) look like a moving painting.

Some scenes were cut to keep the movie short. I'm hoping the Blu-ray will include them.

216bruce

Loved it. Very Kenneth Branagh. Gorgeous art and set direction and the score was fantastic. It really felt like a fairy-tale romance, which is what it's supposed to be. The diminished mouse role was actually great. You can revoke my Disnerd card but I actually preferred it over the animated one story-wise. It's really Cinderella for adults.

Disneyfanman

What a wonderful film! Total surprise because I expected the worst. A real bonus are the songs sung over the credits by Lily James and Helena B Carter. Also Frozen Fever is absolutely great!

I've always been a fan of the animated classic. This was better.

Really well done, Disney!

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

I just got back from seeing "Cinderella". And I have to say...prior to seeing it, I'd pretty much despaired of anyone in Hollywood being able to create a truly lyrical, magical live-action fantasy (after seeing "Alice in Wonderland" and "Oz the Great and Powerful" especially). But this movie gives me hope again. It was WONDERFUL. So magical, so moving, so beautiful...if this doesn't get a Best Picture nom, I shall be ed. Very ed indeed.

And as for the Frozen short...well, what do you know, it was pretty cute. Elsa and Anna and everybody were pretty appealing. It doesn't alter my disappointment that Disney's adaptation of Hans Christian Anderson's "The Snow Queen" got turned into "Wicked" with snow...but the short was enjoyable for what it was.

Last edited:

Monkee Girl

I just got back from seeing "Cinderella". And I have to say...prior to seeing it, I'd pretty much despaired of anyone in Hollywood being able to create a truly lyrical, magical live-action fantasy (after seeing "Alice in Wonderland" and "Oz the Great and Powerful" especially). But this movie gives me hope again. It was WONDERFUL. So magical, so moving, so beautiful...if this doesn't get a Best Picture nom, I shall be ****ed. Very ****ed indeed.

And as for the Frozen short...well, what do you know, it was pretty cute. Elsa and Anna and everybody were pretty appealing. It doesn't alter my disappointment that Disney's adaptation of Han Christian Anderson's "The Snow Queen" got turned into "Wicked" with snow...but the short was enjoyable for what it was.

Completely agree with you.

First, the Frozen short was cute. I couldn't help but see it as a major marketing for merchandise though. You could just spot what you are going to see in the stores, lol. But at the same time, it was still fun to watch. I still hate it for taking over Norway Pavilion but eh, Sven and Christoph were funny.

As for the movie itself. SPOILER!!!!

OMG it was amazing. I actually got a little giddy when her father (whom I loved) asked her if she wanted anything and she asked for the branch. It was right out of the original Grimm tale! YES!

And the whole cast was wonderful. LOVED the King, LOVED the Prince (he was so charming :cool:) and his friend who's not the Duke but should have been the Duke because the Duke was a Di---er---not a nice guy....

I thought it moved at a great pace, loved the little Easter eggs to various other Cinderella versions, the sets, the music, everything. I forgot to look for her in the credits but was that Brandi? I thought that was a great cameo.

If I had to make one complaint...and this is just me being very petty...it would be the look of Cinderella's Ball gown. I hated it in the promos because of it being Blue. I am really tired of Disney forcing the blue 'Cinderella Dress' on us and taking it away from Aurora. They even made the comment about turning her dress from pink to blue. THAT really annoyed me. And having her hair down made her look more like Aurora should look. I think making her dress silver or something more to match the Prince would have been cooler and more original. They already made her dress blue in the Brandi version. We get it....Cinderella HAS to have a blue dress because 'merchandising!" ugh! And what was the point of the discussion about it being her mothers dress if they were going to change it anyway??????? It MADE NO SENSE! "I'll change it!" "No don't, it's my mothers!" "Make it BLUE!" "OK!!!" Double UGH!!!! Ok...rant over...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D It really was a beautiful dress though. And those slippers!

What I loved about this movie was that they didn't change the story too much. I love watching all versions of Cinderella but sometimes, they try to make the story TOO different. Mixing time periods and looks and doing weird stuff with them. I am glad this one 'played it safe'. The little twists and changes were just my speed, everyone looked beautiful (I am tired of the realistic period movies where everyone looks like they haven't showered in a month), it was fun, enchanting and I really can't wait to see it again.

I believe the coach will still be at the Studios when I go April 3rd - 9th. It's so beautiful and I really want to see it in person.

Animaniac93-98

I've been listening to the score in isolation and it's really wonderful. So much good music has been written in the name of Cinderella it's hard to imagine anything coming close to the quality of what's been done before, but Patrick Doyle deserves major credit for pulling it off so well.

Disneyfanman

A group of friends asked me to join them today and so I saw Cinderella for the 2nd time in two days. I was able to pay attention to more details like the score. It really is a wonderful film on all levels.

mcurtiss

great movie. two thumbs up from the DD and the wife. if it doesn't win Oscars for costumes and set design, a criminal case should be made.

Frozen Fever was very fun, but the Inside Out trailer was the biggest hit with us.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

great movie. two thumbs up from the DD and the wife. if it doesn't win Oscars for costumes and set design, a criminal case should be made.

Frozen Fever was very fun, but the Inside Out trailer was the biggest hit with us.
Don't you think we should see what the competition for the next 9 months will entail before worrying about Oscar snubs?

BuddyThomas

I just got back from seeing "Cinderella". And I have to say...prior to seeing it, I'd pretty much despaired of anyone in Hollywood being able to create a truly lyrical, magical live-action fantasy (after seeing "Alice in Wonderland" and "Oz the Great and Powerful" especially). But this movie gives me hope again. It was WONDERFUL. So magical, so moving, so beautiful...if this doesn't get a Best Picture nom, I shall be ****ed. Very ****ed indeed.

And as for the Frozen short...well, what do you know, it was pretty cute. Elsa and Anna and everybody were pretty appealing. It doesn't alter my disappointment that Disney's adaptation of Hans Christian Anderson's "The Snow Queen" got turned into "Wicked" with snow...but the short was enjoyable for what it was.
I enjoyed it but I would wager a bet that there is no way this is getting an Oscar nomination for Best Picture. It was beautiful to look at but paper thin emotionally in my opinion. Costume design seems very possible as does production design and possibly score.

Here is an article listing likely nominees for this year and I'm the first to admit that this is somewhat silly since no one has seen these yet:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/2016-oscar-predictions-best-picture-20150312

HouCuseChickie

I thought Cinderella was a beautiful movie and entertaining. The person in charge of costume design definitely deserves an Oscar nod too.

As for Frozen Fever...while my kids enjoyed it, I thought it was predictable. Well, except for the "SNOT-MEN" Elsa kept sneezing everywhere. Yes, they were cute, but the whole concept of Elsa sneezing out little snowmen with her snot is gross. I know - I know...kid humor. :rolleyes:

Animaniac93-98

Cindy's cleaning up at the Box Office! May exceed 200 Million Globally by this weekend. I'll admit I never saw this coming.

I did.

Alice in Wonderland, Oz the Great and Powerful and Maleficent each made over $230 million in the US and at least $500 million worldwide. This suggests that audiences are into these movies, even if critics are not.

However, Cinderella is the first to get a "Certified Fresh" rating amongst any of these recent live action fairy tales (Disney or not) which also suggested there would be strong word of mouth. In addition, Cinderella is a universally known story so there's little to no language barrier when understanding the plot.

2015 so far has seen very few major family releases. Spongebob and Paddington are the only ones I can think of, which explains why Spongebob was still in the top 5 a month after its release. Add in the appeal of a new Frozen cartoon and you have lots of eager kids looking to see something new in movie theatres.

It's also spring break for Canadian kids and probably some Americans as well.

"Put 'em together and what have you got?" Lots of money!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom