Christmas, New Year's and a birthday = 10 Days of Magic

So I'm finally getting around to writing this trip report after having been home for almost a month. I think the main reason I've been putting it off for so long is because we've been having some nice weather up here in the New York area and writing about our trip to Disney will make me wish for nicer weather and that we were still down there. Maybe another reason for putting it off is that we know we're probably not going down there for another year or two since we've got a lot going on this year (I'm becoming an uncle in a couple weeks and my brother and his wife live in California, so a good amount of the vacation budget is being allocated to those visits. Hey, I'll take my first niece over a trip to Disney, plus in a few years I'll be able to go out that way and take her to Disneyland).

Anyway, enough of that stuff no one cares about, if you hadn't read the trip report Alex (Lexi, my girlfriend) wrote before we went down there then here it is. If you don't want to read it that's fine, here's a quick rundown. We were in WDW for the Food and Wine Festival in early October 2010. We discussed going around the same time as soon as we got back from that trip (which there is a short TR for floating around this site somewhere) but Alex said she wanted to go down for Christmas, "Christmas time, yeah that's fine" I would agree, but no. She wanted Christmas day, New Year's and her birthday (January 2), so we booked that the day after Thanksgiving 2010. Waiting thirteen months just to leave for your trip is a nightmare that I'm sure some of you have experienced. The only reason I say it's a nightmare is because WHO WANTS TO WAIT THIRTEEN MONTHS TO GO TO DISNEY AFTER YOU'VE BOOKED THE TRIP! Anyway, multiple ADR changes and one hotel switch later it was finally Christmas Eve.

Day One - Packing, Flying, Checking In and Magic Kingdom

Alex and I couldn't be more different when it comes to packing, so after we each finished our respective families' Christmas Eve gatherings and we exchanged our gifts to one another (I got her a Nook Tablet which I ended up using more on the trip than her, I love crossword puzzles sue me) I sat patiently on the bed with my bags (having been packed for four days) while Alex figured out what she needed to pack and then finally stuff things into her suitcase and carry-ons (yeah carry-ons because the airline industry hasn't figured out that most women are smart enough to use their 'personal' bag as another carry-on, usually one that's larger than their actual carry-on mini-suitcase). Needless to say she was successful and both of our bags were surprisingly under weight (we thought they'd be closer to 50lbs, they were nearer 30), who'd have thunk it?

Did I mention that she finished packing at about 1.30am Christmas morning? Our flight was at 6am. We had to be at the airport by 4:30 (honestly if you think you need to be there two hours prior for a domestic flight something in your head is off, and don't tell me that it's because of how crazy the airport gets because our flight was leaving out of JFK). That's all well and good, I can operate on very low levels of sleep and when Alex gets excited for something I'm surprised she sleeps at all, she makes up for it big time the next few mornings, and this was Disney World, our trip that was thirteen months in the making. Our Christmas, New Year's and her birthday that we'd been looking forward to since each of those events the previous year, we could have stayed up all night and still had the energy for our first day in the parks. We didn't though, we got about three hours each and Alex slept the entire plane ride down, me not so much. I can't sleep on planes because I have a fear of flying, despite how much I do it (or am willing to do it).

We don't have any pictures of us waiting to board the plane or sitting on the plane or even of the plane. Our very first picture of our vacation is this somewhat blurry beaut:

IMG_0057.jpg

We were staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort so we were on our way to the Magical Express Bus. I think the best part about flying in on Christmas day is that absolutely no one was on any of the lines of the ME and our bus had only six other people on it (in total, not groups). We had a great bus driver as well, we told us some fun stories, pointed out all the alligators he could see and even slowed down so we could get this picture:

IMG_0060.jpg

Curious that the picture we got while we were in a moving vehicle is less blurry than the picture we took while standing still. This may be a trend for the trip.

Once we arrived at the hotel we thanked our driver very much AND TIPPED HIM (I know there seems to be some debate over whether or not to do this but you should, especially if he handles any of your bags, tells you stories or does anything nice, like drive you from the airport to your resort). Upon entering the Custom House we were in awe of the place, it was much bigger than the pictures we'd seen made it out to be, and the Christmas decorations were the icing on the cake. We were thrilled to find out that our room was ready considering it was 9:30am by the time all was said and done.

A Christmas decoration:

IMG_0063.jpg

We headed to our room, which luckily was about a ten minute walk from the Custom House to put our carry-on luggage down. We hadn't checked the weather before we left New York so we were pretty surprised by the humidity that morning, as it had rained earlier, and the fact that it was about 85 degrees. We took it in stride though seeing as how we were staying on

IMG_0070.jpg

in room number

IMG_0069.jpg

We were lucky enough to have a corner room (I think "lucky enough" is the proper term even though our blinds were closed shut the entire trip, we hate when people walk by and look in the room, it's creepy and we don't handle creepiness well) that was only about a five minute walk to the nearest bus stop. We lucked out with the buses, we felt, since our stop was the last before exiting the resort for MK and AK, and there were only four more stops after us before exiting for Epcot and MGM (I'm calling it MGM this entire trip report so if you're going to complain stop reading now, we spend a lot of time there), if I'm remembering correctly any way. Also, our room was close enough to the next bus stop that after all the long days/nights in the parks we could get off at the first stop in the resort (Martinique, I believe) and walk back, depending where we were coming from. If Martinique wasn't the first stop than Barbados was the third. Granted, yes, we're young (enough, mid-20's) but after spending countless hours walking around the parks there's no way we want to walk or be on a bus any longer than we have to be. I digress.

After sitting around the room and enjoying the AC for a little while and debating whether or not to wait for our checked luggage (it got there very quickly when we stayed at AS Movies last time) we decided enough was enough because we didn't want to risk waiting in the room for two hours (or more, as I've read in some TRs), plus it's not like we could go for a dip in the quiet or main pool since our bathing suits (henceforth to be referred to as 'trunks') were in our luggage. So we got off our butts

IMG_0067.jpg

(me being fancy on my butt) and headed to the bus stop for our ride over to the Magic Kingdom. A moment we had waited for for a long time (I could say thirteen months hundreds of times in this TR but it's annoying even me thinking about it).

We finally arrived at the Magic Kingdom after a quick fifteen minutes bus ride that felt like an hour since we hadn't been there in so long. After walking from the drop off point to the entrance we realized maybe we made a huge mistake. Once we got past bag check though (where I almost picked up a stroller and threw that a woman kept pushing into our ankles, if I'm not moving up and you're behind me, you're not moving up) we just had to find the right line to get in to get into the park and so Disney could have our biometric signatures. We got on the shortest line that had only one big group (about ten people) in front of us. Well this was absolutely the worst line we could've picked, not one of the people in the group spoke english and they all had something with their ticket where every other person had to go to the ticket counter which left every person after that arguing with the other. This took about twenty minutes but once past that we were in! We did it!

Here's our first view from inside any of the parks:

IMG_0072.jpg

Not quite the Castle but we loved the ornaments on the tree, we would later get more photos of those as our time progressed but for now we were just excited to be in the park. Even more excited when we saw this:

IMG_0074.jpg

There's really no comparison for seeing the Castle for the first time on your trip. As we walked down Main Street and it got closer and closer (we were actually towards the end, front depending on how you like it when we took that picture because the wreaths hanging from the buildings on Main St would've been in the way otherwise) the excitement grew and grew. It was either excitement or hunger since we hadn't really eaten anything except maybe half a bag of chips on the plane and those weren't very yummy any way. So we headed over to Pecos Bill's for our first meal of the trip, we loved this place so much the last time we went that we couldn't wait to get back there and here's what we ordered:

IMG_0075.jpg

Two deluxe cheeseburgers (I had been debating this for a long time, I should've gone with the taco bowl since I love tacos). That one in the back with the superfluous amount of onions is mine, I love onions. As much as I wanted to love this burger I just couldn't, just as last year the bun seemed stale and unfortunately the one major thing I noticed this time around was that the burger patty tasted overwhelmingly like it was a frozen patty (obviously it is, but it's a huge bummer when you can tell it's been frozen). At least the fries and cheese sauce were outstanding as they usually are. I can't fault Pecos Bill's too much though given the fact that it was around 12:30pm on Christmas Day and the place was absolutely mobbed, I guess I was just upset that that was my first foray into dining at Disney World this trip. I felt horrible for the staff working their though as it seemed no one knew where to walk, where to order or where to eat. The worst of it was that no one knew of any order to getting the fixins from the fixins bar. It's simple, start at the where the toppings are and work your way towards the middle where the napkins are. Easy, both sides of the fixins bar are the same. No rocket science there.

After Pecos Bills we decided that since we were close to Pirates we may as well take a spin. I never thought that this would be our first ride of the trip, we're more inclined to head towards Tomorrowland, but it's how things worked out this time around:

IMG_0076.jpg

Look at those clouds, nice. Beautiful weather once we got over the humidity on this day. We still love this ride, although for me ever since they geared it towards the film it's just not the same. I think it's because Johnny Depp bothers me, the unpatriotic bum. Anyway, I've filled my picture quota for the post, there is much more to come. I hope you like the pictures posted here because Alex bought herself a new camera before we took this trip and we took well over 1,500 photos (I won't post nearly that many). There will be more plenty more trip report to come, although the NHL All-Star game has priority today.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 9 - A WDW Birthday! Finally!

Again I apologize for the length of time it has taken to write the last three days of this trip report, Alex and I have been outrageously busy the past few months so I've finally stealing some "free" time at work (even though I'm still busy).

Today was a day we'd been waiting for and a day that almost had us reschedule our entire trip. Alex's birthday! Well, that's not the reason why we almost rescheduled the trip because of this day, January 2, because after we booked the trip we found out the Rangers were playing the Winter Classic in Philly so after a few brief conversations about how we could reschedule the trip we decided to stick with it. This is something Alex had wanted to do for a long time (Disney for Christmas and her birthday) and even though she's the one that initiated the conversations about changed the dates I knew she wanted to stick it out. Not only that, we'd already booked our flights and weren't about to pay another million dollars to switch those considering airlines love to charge you more money any way they can.

I don't want to say we were "parked out" at this point, but I think we were still suffering from a New Year's Eve Epcot hangover (not like when we had our drinking day but just the crowd itself) so we were quite all right with not spending a full day at any of the parks and just strolling around while spending most of our time at the ESPN Zone (much like we did the night before) and watching the Rangers game. We took the bus over to Epcot and decided so we could head to the International Gateway and decide where to go from there:

IMG_0001.jpg

Having had an early night the previous evening we were at the park fairly early (for us) and it also seemed that most of the crowds were either of other parks or had gone home, seeing as how the park was practically empty at eleven am.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Alex was happy they finally got rid of the giant DJ stage in front of the fountain in Future World:

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg
]

And there's this:

IMG_0007.jpg

I had been talking the entire week we'd already spent down there about how all I wanted was a jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzel but each time we were close to a spot that sold them we had just eaten or were on the way to eating, but today was my day. I couldn't have asked for a more delicious breakfast from this joint:

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Stuffed pretzels weird me out, but this one was well worth it. I highly suggest using a snack credit on this bad boy:

IMG_0013.jpg

ArtieJim

Original Poster
We decided to really take our time getting the ESPN Zone since I had received a text message earlier in the morning from my dad that the game's start time had been pushed back to 3pm. Once we got there we parked our butts at the corner of the bar and asked that NBC be turned on since the game would be starting shortly. We had the same conversation with the same bartender that we had had a couple days earlier about how the game should be almost over by now since it started at one but we had to tell him that the start time was pushed back. I'm sorry if we upset any of the college football fans by turning one tiny tv to NBC and away from one of the two college games that were on the other fifty sets in the place. I'm not sorry at all, the games were on every other tv, look somewhere else besides the tiny tv my girlfriend and I are sitting in front of.

During the game the nice couple we had met and shared a table with a few nights earlier showed up so we were no longer the only Rangers fans in the place. Happily for me and Alex the Rangers won the game and it was no issue for me to wake past the table of Flyers fans with a smirk on my face on the way to the bathroom. We stayed for another beer after the game and the husband of the couple we were with went to the bar and told the bartender it was Alex's birthday, this prompted a cupcake being sent to our table and the entire bar singing happy birthday to her. She has a strict 'no public birthday announcements' policy, so she was thoroughly red faced but I was in the clear because it was not my doing. After this we parted ways, wished each other an enjoyable rest of each vacation and took a stroll over to MGM.

Knowing full well this was our last day in a park not named "Magic Kingdom" we realized that no last day would be complete without a spin on Star Tours (not for me any way):

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

I had to get my R2-D2 fix one last time and Alex obliged, then it was over to check out the lights again. Alex was just as mesmerized this time as she was the very first time we saw them, and how could she not be? They're amazing!

IMG_0017.jpg

Alex's one birthday wish while we were in MGM was, of course, TSMM. How could I refuse? Hey guy!

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

I think we were number six, although could have been nine. Definitely six:

IMG_0024.jpg

We were Woody though!

IMG_0025.jpg

ArtieJim

Original Poster
I know it was her birthday, but I whooped her butt anyway:

IMG_0026.jpg

Although she still looked wonderful in defeat:

IMG_0032.jpg

After taking a spin here we decided to head back to the room to get changed for the birthday dinner that we'd both been anticipating pretty heavily since we booked it. After we were all set we made our way over to the Beach and Yacht Club for none other than:

IMG_0033.jpg

We checked in with the hostess but still had a good half hour before our ADR time so we headed into the lounge where I got another one of these guys:

IMG_0035.jpg

I'm not a big fan of pilsners but I do like orange (I was obsessed with Blue Moon and Shock Top last year until I drank them so often couldn't stand the taste of them any more) and honey is pretty good too. Now, this wasn't a bad beer, not by any means, but it wasn't anything too special. The orange and honey flavors weren't quite there as much as I'd hoped they'd be.

We were intrigued by copper bar and the design on the copper borders along the ceiling:

IMG_0036.jpg

Lights!

IMG_0037.jpg

We stole a glance at the bar menu, even though, after a week in WDW, we knew that showing up for an ADR thirty minutes early meant you weren't waiting a full thirty minutes so decided against it and just sat in the lounge chairs and got excited for dinner. Shortly afterward our names were called and we were seated. We hadn't even finished our beers! That means we were there less than ten minutes.

Alex was very excited to have this handed to her when she was seated:

IMG_0038.jpg

The different breads had become something of an excitement for us as the week progressed, this was no different. I couldn't understand why they gave a cup of cooked garlic (or whatever the proper name for it is) and Alex told me you put it on the bread, duh. So I did just that and then probably went through half the thing of garlic. Garlic is delicious, it just gets a bad rap for its after effects, doesn't bother me though:

IMG_0040.jpg

Alex decided to go with the chicken noodle soup as an appetizer, unfortunately for her it had quite a bit of vegetables in it. She's not big into that:

IMG_0041.jpg

She enjoyed it, but again the vegetables. I went with the lobster bisque, ever since I was a a little kid I've been ordering lobster bisque every where I go, it's just one of those things:

IMG_0042.jpg

This bisque was one of the better that I've had, I'd say leaps and bounds above that at Chefs de France. However the waitress, who was great, suggested putting some of that white stuff in the bisque to enhance the flavor (I think it was goat cheese but don't remember since it was five months ago). Well, you don't have to tell me twice to enhance the flavor of lobster bisque! I put the entire dollop in. It certainly enhanced the flavor but definitely should not have put the entire thing in there.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
I can't apologize enough for not finishing this trip report for any one that was actually still reading it. With that, I shall continue.

I can't believe I left off at the best part of the night... the steaks at Yachtsman! They were unreal! Alex and I try as much as possible not to order the same thing, especially when there are so many great things to order, so we had a little bit of a stare down as to who would get to order the prime rib. Not that there was a real "loser" in this situation since both steaks were incredible. Alex was the one that ordered the prime rib in the end, I conceded given the fact that is was, after all, her birthday.

IMG_0045.jpg

She substituted the regular sides for garlic butter and potatoes au gratin, because if there's one thing we both love, it's garlic butter. I went with the 28-ounce porterhouse, because why hold back when in Disney? It's not like we go to many steakhouses (although there are plenty to choose from in NYC) so when we're in one at Disney World we're going all out (at least I am).

IMG_0043.jpg

You also can't go wrong with almost two pounds of steak that comes with garlic butter (yum, more garlic butter) and french fries. We also decided that we wanted a couple of sides, despite the fact that the waitress told us that the sides were enough for about three people we decided to get two separate sides any way. The main reasoning for this is that Alex loves mushrooms and I won't eat them, whereas I love onions and Alex won't eat those. So here are Alex's "best mushrooms I've ever had" mushrooms:

IMG_0046.jpg

And my outrageously good (yet blurry) sauteed onions:

IMG_0044.jpg

Alex's stomach started acting up so she didn't get to enjoy as much of the meal as she wanted to, I was worried to see that she only ate half her prime rib (but wouldn't let me eat any of it) and only a few mushrooms. In the time it took Alex to eat what she did I had eaten my entire porterhouse, a not so remarkable feat for me at the time, and about a quarter of the onions. I was all for finishing the onions if not for 1) Alex not feeling well and 2) Alex having to deal with the after effects of me eating an entire sauteed onion doused in butter. Before we left I wanted to get a picture of the aging room but there was a butcher/chef in there, I always feel odd taking pictures of something when someone is right there so I was waiting for him to walk out of the room but I guess he thought I wanted a picture of him as well:

IMG_0048.jpg

It was nice of him to tilt the board up but unfortunately it's a little blurry because of how odd I felt taking a picture, essentially, of this fellow. We also got a quick shot of the tree in the Yacht Club:

IMG_0050.jpg

And their train set:

IMG_0049.jpg

I have never owned a train set but I've always thought they were really cool when done properly.

When we got back to our room I decided to break out Alex's birthday present:

IMG_0051.jpg

Normally she loves champagne, but unfortunately because she wasn't feeling so great that night she barely even finished one class (paper cup from the coffee maker). It's too bad because she had been excited to try this champagne since way before we left for this trip and by the time we woke in the morning it had gone too flat for even a mimosa. Here's a close up of the label:

IMG_0052.jpg

That's it (finally) for day nine, it only took about seven months. By the time I finish day ten, our final day, Alex and I will probably have gone to Disney and come back. That's a joke.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
DAY 10 - A LONG GOODBYE

We wanted to spend as much time at MK on our final day without cutting it too close to our Magical Express time, and we did just that. Before we left the room we decided to get a couple shots of the actual room, as we had not done that to this point on the trip. Sorry for the messy bed, I didn't feel like making it today:

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

The bed closer to us in these pictures was our luggage/souvenir bed, it ended up much more messy during our time here than I'd hoped but that's because I'm a neat freak. On our walk to drop our bags we snapped one of the pineapples:

IMG_0055.jpg

and lake

IMG_0056.jpg

Our first stop when we got to MK was Pirates and we get way too carried away with pictures on this queue and ride.

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Alex's love of light fixtures continued.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
IMG_0066.jpg

You can barely make it out, but we were in row one. We'd never been in row one on POR.

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

After taking way too many pictures of POR we moved over to Thunder Mountain, although we weren't fully sure if we wanted to take a spin on this ride or not since it was, no joke, about 50 degrees in Disney World on January 3. We braved the cold and went for it any way, not knowing when we'd be back to ride again:

IMG_0082.jpg

"Did you catch the number on that locomotive?"

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

That sun lies, because it was very cold:

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

ArtieJim

Original Poster
We knew after we were off that we wanted to take one list spin on HM (as hard as it is to only take one spin on HM) so we took a quick walk over there and on the way I spotted this gentleman:

IMG_0096.jpg

I desperately wanted a photo with him but the line was way too long to wait on with the limited time we had and in the cold weather. Next time (which we're actually figuring out when that will be now). Here is one of my favorite sights in WDW (strange I know):

IMG_0099.jpg

And I finally got a shot of the Liberty Tree since there were no people crowding around it today:

IMG_0100.jpg

I want to collect these garbage can plaques:

IMG_0101.jpg

We were getting hungry by the time we made it back around to Fantasyland (or what was left of it while we were there) and not having any ADRs today because of our departure and options being limited because of the weather (every outdoor stand was closed along with any places that didn't have indoor seating) we settled on Pinnochio's Village Haus. We didn't get anything too fancy though, Alex went with the breadsticks and I had a tomato bisque soup (my favorite):

IMG_0102.jpg

I don't want to say it was "surprisingly good" because that'd be unfair to WDW as all their food is quite good. The breadsticks are actually some of our favorite snacks (because that's what I consider them) at WDW. Up next was Mickey's PhilharMagic with a quick stop at the fountain first:

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

Watch your head at the gift shop!

IMG_0109.jpg

We slowly made our way to Tomorrowland, realizing we had a little more time than we expected since the park was fairly empty and we had done most of what we wanted to do. We decided to save Tomorrowland for last since we both love SM and the PeopleMover, we wanted those to be the last things we did. On the way:

IMG_0110.jpg

But first Alex wanted to try a cream cheese pretzel, as she'd been wanting one since before we even go to WDW:

IMG_0111.jpg

Had some cinnamon dusted along the outside, I believe and the inside was this:

IMG_0112.jpg

Alex was not a fan. Too sweet, I had a small bite and it did taste very strange to me. If you like that kind of thing go for it, not for us though. I think the jalapeno pretzel was a whole lot better. After we put that behind us it was onto the PeopleMover, where we once again took a ton of pictures we already had:

IMG_0113.jpg

My favorite station:

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Poor castle is missing a spire:

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

ArtieJim

Original Poster
IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

We're coming for you SM but not yet:

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

The sign Alex loves to hate:

IMG_0134.jpg

And here's a nice blurry shot for you:

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Another great garbage pail plaque:

IMG_0141.jpg

I always want pictures with these two as well but I'm just too lazy to stand in line:

IMG_0143.jpg

Sad to see the control tower for the last time, but it's a necessary evil:

IMG_0145.jpg

We got row one (and two) again! What a day!

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Welcome indeed, too bad we were leaving:

IMG_0150.jpg

Know how I said Tomorrowland was it for us on this trip? I lied, HM was, never got a chance to ride the river boat, we just kept putting it off and putting it off and we missed it, but we took this before we left:

IMG_0151.jpg

ArtieJim

Original Poster
We wanted to get a last picture or two together in front of the castle even though it looked like we were in some sort of northern WDW, so here we are, looking cozy:

IMG_0152.jpg

These two don't seem too cold:

IMG_0154.jpg

Goodbye Castle:

IMG_0155.jpg

It would only be appropriate that there was some sort of something going on on Main St/at the Castle as we were heading out:

IMG_0156.jpg

Our final couple photo at WDW... until next time:

IMG_0158.jpg

Here are a few more of things on our way out. We missed this sign the night we were taking pictures of all of them:

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

Unfortunate to see that MK is that way when we're going the other:

IMG_0164.jpg

It's never fun taking a bus ride back to your resort during the day. I never like it, even if we have an awesome ADR that I'm looking forward to I always want to stay in the park just a bit longer (or never leave at all). It's even less fun when it's the last day of your journey through the magical world of Disney. This bus was also empty except for two Italian dudes that were dressed like it was 90 degrees, that's besides the point. Once back to the CBR we took a few more pictures before having to board our bus to the airport.

IMG_0165.jpg

This was in the men's room, yeah I take pictures of things I find interesting in men's rooms all the time:

IMG_0166.jpg

Dining hall:

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Entrance mat to the door nearest the pool bar:

IMG_0171.jpg

I like how serene the beach here looks, mostly because it's so cold, but still looks serene:

IMG_0172.jpg

I love this sign on the first day, hate it on the last:

IMG_0173.jpg

And finally, here's the best I could do by way of a picture of our DME bus:

IMG_0174.jpg

And that was it for our time in WDW. We loved 95% of the mintues of it. We were lucky in that Alex's stomach held up for the majority of the time we were here, it's just unfortunate that the one time it did act up was when we were having dinner for her birthday. I can't say that we'd ever go to WDW for New Year's Eve again. I'm sure some people will say "oh well Epcot is like that because of what they do" or "try another park." No. We did it once, it's done. Christmas was nice, but that was also the type of thing I'm sure we'd have enjoyed any time during when WDW has their Christmas celebration going on. We'd love to see the Lights again at MGM. We were surprised at the crowd levels (much lower than we expected) for when we were there. Again the only two days that were crowded (little since they had phase closings) were Christmas (Day 1) and New Year's Eve (Day 7).

If you've never been during Christmas or New Year's I'd say to go for it if you really want but don't be too upset by the crowd levels. Extremely crowded is an understatement but just because that's the case doesn't mean it is all that hard to move around the parks (except Epcot starting at about 10pm 12/31). You can't expect to get on many rides these days, but it's also mostly about the atmosphere.

Alex and I decided to take a break from WDW in 2012, aside from the two and a half days we were there, but will be returning for the Food & Wine Festival in 2013. We can not wait. I hope those of you that read this trip report enjoyed yourselves while doing so and I apologize again for the long gaps in between some posts. Until next time...

Minnie Sue

This has been one of my favorite TRs ever! First things first: even before you initiated the Light Fixture drinking game, every time I would read "Light fixture!" would hear it as "Squirrel!" like the dog in "Up." That out of the way: monkeys are awesome, your pictures are incredible and thank you *SO* much for your in depth pics of Epcot. My husband is a Modern Languages prof, so you'd think Epcot would totally be his thing, right? Meh. He was bored and racing me through it (other than SSE, which he loved) and I completely missed Morocco and Italy (but had a Guinness at R&C, so win?). I showed him your pics and he was all, "Oh, crap, we missed a lot!" So thanks!

ArtieJim

Original Poster
This has been one of my favorite TRs ever! First things first: even before you initiated the Light Fixture drinking game, every time I would read "Light fixture!" would hear it as "Squirrel!" like the dog in "Up." That out of the way: monkeys are awesome, your pictures are incredible and thank you *SO* much for your in depth pics of Epcot. My husband is a Modern Languages prof, so you'd think Epcot would totally be his thing, right? Meh. He was bored and racing me through it (other than SSE, which he loved) and I completely missed Morocco and Italy (but had a Guinness at R&C, so win?). I showed him your pics and he was all, "Oh, crap, we missed a lot!" So thanks!

Glad you enjoyed the report! Alex and I are going back in October, we're all booked! Now we're just counting down until we can make our ADRs and we'll put up a PTR.

Minnie Sue

Glad you enjoyed the report! Alex and I are going back in October, we're all booked! Now we're just counting down until we can make our ADRs and we'll put up a PTR.
Oh, and I meant to say I especially appreciated that yours was a Christmas week report, because we're book for Dec 22-27! I will post a PTR as soon as I figure out how to post pics, hah. Have a great fall in the World!

Lexi

Oh, and I meant to say I especially appreciated that yours was a Christmas week report, because we're book for Dec 22-27! I will post a PTR as soon as I figure out how to post pics, hah. Have a great fall in the World!

We had this issue last year, trying to find trip reports where people actually visited Disney during Christmas and New Years. Every report was titled Christmas Time but no one was actually there December 23-25, everyone was posting from November or early December trips. So hopefully this trip report helps people realize what they will be dealing with if they decide to go to Disney on Christmas or New Years!

Minnie Sue

Every report was titled Christmas Time but no one was actually there December 23-25, everyone was posting from November or early December trips.
Yes! That's what I've run across. And while those TRs are informative and seasonal, getting to read about crowd levels on the holidays and what they're like at different parks on the days *around* Christmas really helped!

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Yes! That's what I've run across. And while those TRs are informative and seasonal, getting to read about crowd levels on the holidays and what they're like at different parks on the days *around* Christmas really helped!

Just so you know a few of the TRs I read from this past Christmas it seemed like there was an increased crowd level from when we were there in 2011.

EaglesfanNJ

Artie, I just had to chime in and tell you how absolutely entertaining I thought your TR was. Now, I know that means squat-ah coming from an Eagles and Flyers fan.... But, well done bud. From your detailed photos, to your food reviews. I especially enjoyed the beer reviews being a beer guy myself. Glad you enjoyed the trip, I look forward to a report after F and W this fall.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Artie, I just had to chime in and tell you how absolutely entertaining I thought your TR was. Now, I know that means squat-ah coming from an Eagles and Flyers fan.... But, well done bud. From your detailed photos, to your food reviews. I especially enjoyed the beer reviews being a beer guy myself. Glad you enjoyed the trip, I look forward to a report after F and W this fall.

Glad you enjoyed the TR. Alex and I are about three weeks away from being able to make ADRs for our trip this coming October, that means an upcoming PTR. As for the beer reviews, you can expect plenty of those on the next TR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom