Christmas, New Year's and a birthday = 10 Days of Magic

So I'm finally getting around to writing this trip report after having been home for almost a month. I think the main reason I've been putting it off for so long is because we've been having some nice weather up here in the New York area and writing about our trip to Disney will make me wish for nicer weather and that we were still down there. Maybe another reason for putting it off is that we know we're probably not going down there for another year or two since we've got a lot going on this year (I'm becoming an uncle in a couple weeks and my brother and his wife live in California, so a good amount of the vacation budget is being allocated to those visits. Hey, I'll take my first niece over a trip to Disney, plus in a few years I'll be able to go out that way and take her to Disneyland).

Anyway, enough of that stuff no one cares about, if you hadn't read the trip report Alex (Lexi, my girlfriend) wrote before we went down there then here it is. If you don't want to read it that's fine, here's a quick rundown. We were in WDW for the Food and Wine Festival in early October 2010. We discussed going around the same time as soon as we got back from that trip (which there is a short TR for floating around this site somewhere) but Alex said she wanted to go down for Christmas, "Christmas time, yeah that's fine" I would agree, but no. She wanted Christmas day, New Year's and her birthday (January 2), so we booked that the day after Thanksgiving 2010. Waiting thirteen months just to leave for your trip is a nightmare that I'm sure some of you have experienced. The only reason I say it's a nightmare is because WHO WANTS TO WAIT THIRTEEN MONTHS TO GO TO DISNEY AFTER YOU'VE BOOKED THE TRIP! Anyway, multiple ADR changes and one hotel switch later it was finally Christmas Eve.

Day One - Packing, Flying, Checking In and Magic Kingdom

Alex and I couldn't be more different when it comes to packing, so after we each finished our respective families' Christmas Eve gatherings and we exchanged our gifts to one another (I got her a Nook Tablet which I ended up using more on the trip than her, I love crossword puzzles sue me) I sat patiently on the bed with my bags (having been packed for four days) while Alex figured out what she needed to pack and then finally stuff things into her suitcase and carry-ons (yeah carry-ons because the airline industry hasn't figured out that most women are smart enough to use their 'personal' bag as another carry-on, usually one that's larger than their actual carry-on mini-suitcase). Needless to say she was successful and both of our bags were surprisingly under weight (we thought they'd be closer to 50lbs, they were nearer 30), who'd have thunk it?

Did I mention that she finished packing at about 1.30am Christmas morning? Our flight was at 6am. We had to be at the airport by 4:30 (honestly if you think you need to be there two hours prior for a domestic flight something in your head is off, and don't tell me that it's because of how crazy the airport gets because our flight was leaving out of JFK). That's all well and good, I can operate on very low levels of sleep and when Alex gets excited for something I'm surprised she sleeps at all, she makes up for it big time the next few mornings, and this was Disney World, our trip that was thirteen months in the making. Our Christmas, New Year's and her birthday that we'd been looking forward to since each of those events the previous year, we could have stayed up all night and still had the energy for our first day in the parks. We didn't though, we got about three hours each and Alex slept the entire plane ride down, me not so much. I can't sleep on planes because I have a fear of flying, despite how much I do it (or am willing to do it).

We don't have any pictures of us waiting to board the plane or sitting on the plane or even of the plane. Our very first picture of our vacation is this somewhat blurry beaut:

IMG_0057.jpg

We were staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort so we were on our way to the Magical Express Bus. I think the best part about flying in on Christmas day is that absolutely no one was on any of the lines of the ME and our bus had only six other people on it (in total, not groups). We had a great bus driver as well, we told us some fun stories, pointed out all the alligators he could see and even slowed down so we could get this picture:

IMG_0060.jpg

Curious that the picture we got while we were in a moving vehicle is less blurry than the picture we took while standing still. This may be a trend for the trip.

Once we arrived at the hotel we thanked our driver very much AND TIPPED HIM (I know there seems to be some debate over whether or not to do this but you should, especially if he handles any of your bags, tells you stories or does anything nice, like drive you from the airport to your resort). Upon entering the Custom House we were in awe of the place, it was much bigger than the pictures we'd seen made it out to be, and the Christmas decorations were the icing on the cake. We were thrilled to find out that our room was ready considering it was 9:30am by the time all was said and done.

A Christmas decoration:

IMG_0063.jpg

We headed to our room, which luckily was about a ten minute walk from the Custom House to put our carry-on luggage down. We hadn't checked the weather before we left New York so we were pretty surprised by the humidity that morning, as it had rained earlier, and the fact that it was about 85 degrees. We took it in stride though seeing as how we were staying on

IMG_0070.jpg

in room number

IMG_0069.jpg

We were lucky enough to have a corner room (I think "lucky enough" is the proper term even though our blinds were closed shut the entire trip, we hate when people walk by and look in the room, it's creepy and we don't handle creepiness well) that was only about a five minute walk to the nearest bus stop. We lucked out with the buses, we felt, since our stop was the last before exiting the resort for MK and AK, and there were only four more stops after us before exiting for Epcot and MGM (I'm calling it MGM this entire trip report so if you're going to complain stop reading now, we spend a lot of time there), if I'm remembering correctly any way. Also, our room was close enough to the next bus stop that after all the long days/nights in the parks we could get off at the first stop in the resort (Martinique, I believe) and walk back, depending where we were coming from. If Martinique wasn't the first stop than Barbados was the third. Granted, yes, we're young (enough, mid-20's) but after spending countless hours walking around the parks there's no way we want to walk or be on a bus any longer than we have to be. I digress.

After sitting around the room and enjoying the AC for a little while and debating whether or not to wait for our checked luggage (it got there very quickly when we stayed at AS Movies last time) we decided enough was enough because we didn't want to risk waiting in the room for two hours (or more, as I've read in some TRs), plus it's not like we could go for a dip in the quiet or main pool since our bathing suits (henceforth to be referred to as 'trunks') were in our luggage. So we got off our butts

IMG_0067.jpg

(me being fancy on my butt) and headed to the bus stop for our ride over to the Magic Kingdom. A moment we had waited for for a long time (I could say thirteen months hundreds of times in this TR but it's annoying even me thinking about it).

We finally arrived at the Magic Kingdom after a quick fifteen minutes bus ride that felt like an hour since we hadn't been there in so long. After walking from the drop off point to the entrance we realized maybe we made a huge mistake. Once we got past bag check though (where I almost picked up a stroller and threw that a woman kept pushing into our ankles, if I'm not moving up and you're behind me, you're not moving up) we just had to find the right line to get in to get into the park and so Disney could have our biometric signatures. We got on the shortest line that had only one big group (about ten people) in front of us. Well this was absolutely the worst line we could've picked, not one of the people in the group spoke english and they all had something with their ticket where every other person had to go to the ticket counter which left every person after that arguing with the other. This took about twenty minutes but once past that we were in! We did it!

Here's our first view from inside any of the parks:

IMG_0072.jpg

Not quite the Castle but we loved the ornaments on the tree, we would later get more photos of those as our time progressed but for now we were just excited to be in the park. Even more excited when we saw this:

IMG_0074.jpg

There's really no comparison for seeing the Castle for the first time on your trip. As we walked down Main Street and it got closer and closer (we were actually towards the end, front depending on how you like it when we took that picture because the wreaths hanging from the buildings on Main St would've been in the way otherwise) the excitement grew and grew. It was either excitement or hunger since we hadn't really eaten anything except maybe half a bag of chips on the plane and those weren't very yummy any way. So we headed over to Pecos Bill's for our first meal of the trip, we loved this place so much the last time we went that we couldn't wait to get back there and here's what we ordered:

IMG_0075.jpg

Two deluxe cheeseburgers (I had been debating this for a long time, I should've gone with the taco bowl since I love tacos). That one in the back with the superfluous amount of onions is mine, I love onions. As much as I wanted to love this burger I just couldn't, just as last year the bun seemed stale and unfortunately the one major thing I noticed this time around was that the burger patty tasted overwhelmingly like it was a frozen patty (obviously it is, but it's a huge bummer when you can tell it's been frozen). At least the fries and cheese sauce were outstanding as they usually are. I can't fault Pecos Bill's too much though given the fact that it was around 12:30pm on Christmas Day and the place was absolutely mobbed, I guess I was just upset that that was my first foray into dining at Disney World this trip. I felt horrible for the staff working their though as it seemed no one knew where to walk, where to order or where to eat. The worst of it was that no one knew of any order to getting the fixins from the fixins bar. It's simple, start at the where the toppings are and work your way towards the middle where the napkins are. Easy, both sides of the fixins bar are the same. No rocket science there.

After Pecos Bills we decided that since we were close to Pirates we may as well take a spin. I never thought that this would be our first ride of the trip, we're more inclined to head towards Tomorrowland, but it's how things worked out this time around:

IMG_0076.jpg

Look at those clouds, nice. Beautiful weather once we got over the humidity on this day. We still love this ride, although for me ever since they geared it towards the film it's just not the same. I think it's because Johnny Depp bothers me, the unpatriotic bum. Anyway, I've filled my picture quota for the post, there is much more to come. I hope you like the pictures posted here because Alex bought herself a new camera before we took this trip and we took well over 1,500 photos (I won't post nearly that many). There will be more plenty more trip report to come, although the NHL All-Star game has priority today.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 1 Continued...

After Pirates we thought about taking a spin on Splash and Thunder Mountains but saw the lines and we decided that since we'd be there for ten days we'd have plenty of time to ride those two.

These signs became something of a fascination for Alex throughout our trip but there ended up being so many that she didn't want a picture of all of them.

IMG_0088.jpg

For the time being we were going to just walk around a bit and see if anything struck our fancy, to Alex's surprise I had never done (at least could never recall) Country Bears Jamboree. We enjoyed that but I didn't find it to be anything spectacular.

I think I was a bit disturbed by what was hanging from this young fella's instrument:

IMG_0095.jpg

Is it just me or are those... well, last I checked those shouldn't be hanging from a musical instrument. Anyway, the whole gang showing us how it's done:

IMG_0096.jpg

After we took a spin on the Jungle Cruise, always one of our favorites. Here's our vessel:

IMG_0100.jpg

We had a great guide for this adventure, unfortunately I took the majority of the notes for this trip in my Blackberry and a couple weeks ago I got a new phone and was more concerned about getting the photos off and forgot to take off the notes so I don't have the guide's name (I also lost the name of our DME driver along with countless notes on drinks we tried throughout Epcot).

We like hippos

IMG_0110.jpg

The back of waterfalls

IMG_0111.jpg

And elephants the best

IMG_0113.jpg

We wanted to check out some of the ornamental wood masks so I figured I'd try a couple on:

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

They fit swell. We decided we'd had enough of Adventureland for the time being and wanted to head out to see where the road took us (really we just wanted to go to Tomorrowland). Goodbye Adventureland:

IMG_0119.jpg

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 1 still going strong...

We decided to take that little path to the side of the castle but before we did we caught this view of our ultimate destination

IMG_0120.jpg

We see you there Space Mountain, we're coming for you. We got a few pictures of the Castle and the Fantasyland area, and what's to come of it along our walk.

This is one of Alex's favorite pictures from the trip (and we'd only been there about four hours), unfortunately we chopped off a bit of the top spire:

IMG_0121.jpg

Here we go:

IMG_0122.jpg

I like this a lot:

IMG_0124.jpg

We wanted to stop in here to see if we could pick anything up for the baby, but nothing interested me enough, although we did pick up a penny press book as it's one of our favorite things to do while in Disney, fun, cheap souvenirs.

IMG_0125.jpg

Here's Beast's Castle, as we saw it, on Christmas Day:

IMG_0126.jpg

When we got to Tomorrowland I sat and took a few pictures. We were slowly making our way onto this great coaster:

IMG_0129.jpg

Although this caught my eye before we boarded, they've landed:

IMG_0131.jpg

After Space Mountain we couldn't wait to take a leisurely spin on none other than:

IMG_0135.jpg

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 1 still...

Here's some fun that we caught on our ride around Tomorrowland:

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

Once our trip was finished we wanted to take a quick spin on Buzz. No matter how intense my stare, my butt was promptly handed to me, I never stood a chance:

IMG_0151.jpg

After Buzz we wanted to head back to the room before our ADR at Tony's that evening. We wanted to check to see if our bags had arrived and do some unpacking since I kept saying that I'd much rather do it now and relax a bit than do it when we got back that night, whenever that may be. We had no intentions of staying until 3am, although that's when the park was open because of EMH, but just to be safe it was better to unpack early while we had time to spare than have to do it late at night or early one morning before heading out. On our way out:

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

The wait for the bus on the way back to the resort wasn't very long at all, I actually think we ran for it to make sure we didn't miss it (this would become something of a trend on our trip each time we'd go to MK).

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 1 - A busy busy night

Those clouds on our way out looked a bit disconcerting so we thought it was an even better idea that we were heading back to the room to check on our bags and to hang out for a bit. When we got to the room we were happy to see that our bags had arrived, although the clouds weren't looking much better. Once I fully unpacked (since I'm a bit weird when it comes to neatness and having things in order), and threw on a pair of sneakers we decided to take a walk down to Old Port Royale to see what kind of things they had in the shop and the food court, not to mention the pool bar.

The clouds cleared up a bit by the time we headed out for our walk:

IMG_0154.jpg

And Alex saw a flower she quite liked:

IMG_0157.jpg

Old Port Royale was very nice, we didn't take any pictures this time there though, we saved all the hotel pictures for our last day there for when we were waiting for the DME to take us back to the airport but I'm getting way ahead of myself. After checking out what there was inside we wanted to grab a round before heading back to MK for dinner and what we were most looking forward to that day/night. Alex went with a plain old Bud Light but I wanted something more not that I could get at any bar in the world, I went with a Banana Cabana:

IMG_0159.jpg

It was outstanding, not much of an alcohol taste at all, which is always a plus on top of that the banana liqueur wasn't overwhelming either. While sitting at the bar we met a nice older couple (not old, probably in their 50's) that had driven down from Detroit and were spending their last night at the bar. Can't say there's anything wrong with that, that's a long drive home. After our drink we headed back over to our bus stop (yes we could've waited at the Old Port Royale stop but as I mentioned earlier the Barbados stop was the last before the resort exit for MK).

Upon re-arrival we wanted to get some pictures, although I went the wrong way at first:

IMG_0161.jpg

Back on track though we got started with what we wanted to do to kill time before dinner:

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

While walking through the shops on the way back towards Tony's I handed Alex an award which she wouldn't let me photograph her with although when she handed me my award I couldn't help but break into a speech right there:

IMG_0169.jpg

I got some looks from people, but hey, it's been a while since I've won an award. That's one thing about going from childhood to adulthood, you don't win things any more. I also tried on a hat:

IMG_0170.jpg

I liked this hat a lot, but don't think I was up for wearing it all week since it would've made me feel ten degrees hotter throughout the week and it would have in turn been filled with sweat by the end of the trip.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Finally it was time for dinner, at least time to check-in for dinner:

IMG_0171.jpg

It would be another twenty minutes or so before we were actually seated which was just enough time for us to not be annoyed by the parents that weren't parenting their children.

We were seated outside on the veranda which was nice given that it wasn't too cold yet, it would get down there this evening (and the rest of the evenings, not to mention some days). We had looked through all the menus for our ADRs many times over in the weeks leading up to this trip and we were pretty set as to what we were going to order before we even left. We were going to order the garlic bread but read a TR on here a few months ago that had a picture of the bread and the look of it really didn't do it for us so we decided against this and just went with the entrees.

I had the seafood diavolo:

IMG_0178.jpg

It was pretty good, I like spicy food very spicy, this was just not spicy enough but it had a good amount of seafood, not too much sauce and the seafood tasted fairly fresh. Although a healthy portion which really hit the spot since we hadn't eaten much all day (aside from Pecos Bill's). Alex on the other hand ordered the chicken parm:

IMG_0177.jpg

I wish she could have given as positive a review of her dish as I did mine. For starters there was hardly any sauce on the chicken or pasta so she was left with essentially dry pasta. Even if there had been a good amount of sauce on the dish she wouldn't have eaten much since there were chunks of carrots in it, something rather foreign to us. Both of my grandmothers are Italian and I've never seen carrots in sauce before, it just kind of turned her off from the meal. At least the chicken it self was good, although what bothered her more than the carrots was that the cheese was not melted and was shredded as opposed to sliced mozzarella that's nice and gooey because its been melted over the sauce and chicken. Another thing about Tony's, the service was incredibly slow. I understand it was very busy and all but it shouldn't take ten minutes to get two sodas. Interestingly enough the food came out about five minutes after we ordered it so we were stuck with empty cups and full plates. Never a good combination at a restaurant.

Having finished up our dinner we headed back up Main Street and into Tomorrowland once more but not before snapping a shot of snow falling on Main Street, see those dots, that's snow. SNOW! We hadn't seen snow since Halloween and that freak storm the northeast had:

IMG_0179.jpg

We couldn't wait to get to Tomorrowland because we had reservations for the Wishes Dessert Party at the Tomorrowland Terrace! We couldn't wait for this, unfortunately we had to because when we got there there was a line and the gate hadn't opened up yet. So there we are standing dutifully in line, being normal when a family of about six comes and gets in line behind us. I guess standing behind a group of two was too much for one woman in the group to handle because she kept sidling up on Alex to the point where I kept telling Alex to face me and stick her butt out so she would "accidentally" bump the woman that was trying to essentially cut us in line. She wouldn't but when the woman came up the line making sure the names matched with the names she had on her list Alex made sure she took a half step in front of the woman. It's a line to get into a dessert buffet, do you really need to cut the line? I'm sure there is enough dessert for everyone that has booked and paid to be there.

When we finally got to the hostess podium and gave her our little ticket that the lady with checklist gave us the woman said, "it's just the two of you? Wow, you guys got lucky," so we took it in stride and agreed saying we were surprised that we were able to book this for Christmas night when she told us that wasn't what she meant and that we had the best table in the entire place. She wasn't kidding, our table was about two feet to our left in this photo:

IMG_0180.jpg

Here's a shot of the Castle from our table without zooming at all:

IMG_0181.jpg

And with a zoom:

IMG_0182.jpg

I was most excited for the chocolate covered strawberries, who wouldn't be? (aside from Alex). Here I have some of those, a little creme brulee, I think a tiny tiramisu on the bottom and I forget what that was on the top of the plate. Also got myself a glass a milk:

IMG_0183.jpg

Alex didn't want a picture of her dessert because she just got a cookie. The strawberries were everything I'd hoped for, and more, that photo does them some justice if you can see how big they are compared to the rest of the things I got. These were the biggest strawberries I'd ever seen, they were great, I must have had about ten of them throughout the night.

We love how the Castle lights continuously change color:

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Once we stopped taking pictures of the Castle we decided to actually eat, and I decided to eat more, and more. Like I said, I had about ten of those huge strawberries. As soon as we did this we heard some fun music and the Main Street Electrical Parade was starting. Not sure why we chose this as the time to test out the low light mode on Alex's new camera but she figured it out pretty quick by quickly reading the user guide on her phone and we got some good shots out of the deal.

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

I liked this lighthouse, lighthouses are cool:

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

We weren't sure what this was until we really looked at this picture the next day at the hotel, turns out it's a bald eagle. We really had no idea what it was until then, I thought some kind of angel. It would have been one hell of a frightening angel though, with the red eyes and all. All it was missing was the flaming sword and it could've been St. Michael, I think that's a little too extreme for Disney though.

IMG_0202.jpg

Up next was Magic, Memories and You which we had been looking forward to since first seeing the pictures for it when it started. With our great seats we couldn't wait to sit down and enjoy the show... and then a group of adults stood right in front of us at the railing. We were not about to have that, so when one of them went back to their table to get the camera we got right up into the spot and made room for ourselves. Not quite sitting and enjoying the show, but hey, we were still at the front without a blocked view. Up next, our photos from Magic, Memories and You along with Holiday Wishes! There are a lot of them, so I hope you're up for some picture viewing.

One more of the Castle before we begin!

IMG_0203.jpg

ArtieJim

Original Poster
IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

Ok, not as many pictures from this show as I thought, turns out a lot were blurry. Guess we were still working on figuring out that low light mode.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Once that was over we headed over to the Star Trader, or whatever that shop in Tomorrowland is called. We're not huge Stitch fans, not as big as Disney wants every guest to be, but we did find enjoyment in this:

IMG_0280.jpg

I was also in love with these when Alex pointed them out to me, I was too busy to notice them myself because I was nerding out on the Storm Trooper blasters:

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

The names are hilarious to me.

Back outside we wanted to ride some of the Fantasyland rides, starting with Pooh but first I decided to take a picture of this, we have a lot of these pictures:

IMG_0281.jpg

And another one of these:

IMG_0285.jpg

Alex also picked up the habit of taking pictures of each of the number markers for the rides, not a bad idea, so here's our first:

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

After we left Hundred Acre Woods, and Goods, we took a ride on the Carousel since we never did the last time we were there, unfortunately this is the only good picture we got of the entire ride:

IMG_0299.jpg

ArtieJim

Original Poster
After the Carousel we wanted to have a go at the Sword in the Stone but where there was no line when we started walking towards the Sword there was a huge group of people all waiting to try their hand at it so we decided to go back later. Instead we took a flight with Peter Pan.

IMG_0335.jpg

Hello Nana, and yes I did use the flash to take this picture! Shut up about it it's the only time we used it on a ride the entire trip:

IMG_0301.jpg

Here is London, pretty London:

IMG_0302.jpg

Well helllllooooo ladies:

IMG_0303.jpg

Those are the only pictures we got that came out that weren't blurry on this ride, we were still working at the low light mode, by the end of the trip we would have it mastered but not yet. Straight off Pan we walked across to It's A Small World which was getting refurb'd last time we were down so we felt that it was something we should do. It's also my mother's favorite ride so I kind of wanted to, I haven't been on this ride since I was down in MK with my family in 1996 (although, I did ride it at DL in January of '05). We enjoyed the ride, although it is still kind of creepy.

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

We had to include these members of our Irish heritage, although it's a bit stereotypical, I mean they have like five leprechaun looking animatrons, come Disney. It's hilarious:

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Finally it was time for us to head over to Liberty Square for our favorite Magic Kingdom ride of all:

IMG_0337.jpg

Hello beautiful:

IMG_0338.jpg

Alex wanted me to make my best impression of this bust, so I did:

IMG_0339.jpg

Poor gals:

IMG_0342.jpg

We loved the new queue on this ride, when we got to HM there was absolutely no one in line but then the more I played with the new queue the more people showed up so we headed to the doors and not long after we were ushered in. It's really tough to top this ride, it's always been a favorite and always will be. Even just seeing it from Frontierland is great.

Now, we're not sure where we got this energy from but by the time we got after HM it was well after midnight, we hadn't originally planned on being at the park much later than the end of Wishes but the more we walked and the more rides we took in the better we felt so we just kept going. Curious since we'd been up since 3:30the previous morning.

I love riverboats, unfortunately we never rode this. I'm not sure why, I think we just never felt up for it:

IMG_0344.jpg

Since we were over that way we decided to get a few shots of the places we'd been earlier that we weren't able to that afternoon:

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

Once we got those out of the way we were finally able to try out the Sword in the Stone:

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

Then it was back to Tomorrowland for the ride I'd been waiting to take a spin on since we didn't have the chance on our last trip...

ArtieJim

Original Poster
TA DA!

IMG_0356.jpg

I've loved the Astro Orbiter since I was a little kid, it gives you such a great view of the park (even though it was 1:30am by the time we got there and there wasn't much to see any more). While in line though we also snapped this guy:

IMG_0357.jpg

And we finally made it to the top!

IMG_0358.jpg

Alex wanted a nice picture of us on the orbiter but I wasn't about to let that happen, not on my watch:

IMG_0359.jpg

But then I gave in:

IMG_0360.jpg

Once off the orbiters we decided that since it was closing in on 2am it was time to head back to the resort, but on the way we wanted to get this shot:

IMG_0361.jpg

Reserved for us! At least it had been, we highly suggest any one that gets the chance to do the Wishes Dessert Party to do it. We really had to stay on top of trying to make reservations and just when we were about to give up and stop calling they finally became available the last time we tried. Well worth the price.

Our final shot of the Castle for the day:

IMG_0362.jpg

And these fellas on the way out:

IMG_0365.jpg

On the way to the bus stop we saw that our bus was once again waiting at our port and we once again had to run to catch it. Running to catch the bus for fifteen seconds and getting back to the hotel at 2:15 as opposed to walking and missing the bus and getting back to the hotel closer to 3am, well worth it the short run. When we got back to the hotel the five minute walk felt much longer and as soon as we were in the room it was lights out and we weren't asleep much longer once that happened. After such a long day we were so happy to lay our heads down and get some sleep. On to my favorite park tomorrow...

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 2 - An international voyage...

When I woke up and finally looked at the clock I saw that it was about eleven and thought to myself, "eh, we had a long day." After waking Alex and both of us getting ready it was time to head out to EPCOT, our favorite (my favorite at least) of all the parks. We wanted to take it really easy today, no need for trying to fit everything in, no need for really even doing much in Future World for us, we wanted to take our time strolling through the World Showcase, something that we didn't get much of a chance to do last time because of the Food and Wine Festival.

By the time we got off the bus it was closing in on one so we decided to skip the excessive photo taking we would normally do upon entry into EPCOT but we couldn't help ourselves when it came to this guy:

IMG_0366.jpg

Also, for some reason we were on a mission to get Captain EO fastpasses since although we had no intentions of using them (we went on EO last time around and it was quite enough for us) but every time we went up there the machines were covered up (wonder why, five minute stand-by constantly).

The jumping water never ceases to amaze us:

IMG_0368.jpg

I also love this fountain, especially at night, this is not at night although the clouds wanted to make it seem that way:

IMG_0369.jpg

We became big fans of this topiary throughout the week, we're big fans of the Disney dogs:

IMG_0370.jpg

So we finally made our way into the World Showcase, we'd seen the tree from afar for the past hour or so but when we got closer we were able to see all the fine details:

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

Although you probably can't see them from those photos. I can't speak for Alex on this one but I think of all the trees we saw down there during our ten days this was my least favorite. Just didn't do it for me.

As we were trying to decide which way to go first (right, towards Canada, always) we spied this little fellas:

IMG_0375.jpg

And also wanted to get this shot of Italy, I really wish the clouds weren't so ominous this day, at least it didn't rain:

IMG_0377.jpg

We also saw Characters in Flight off in the distance:

IMG_0379.jpg

Taking pictures of this damn thing would be something of a hobby throughout the week starting with the DME ride to the hotel the day before. We saw it from about fifteen minutes out of the entrance to WDW and the driver even pointed it out to us, so for some reason whenever we saw it from any where inside WDW we pointed it out. Alex really wants me to go up there with her, but I keep telling her not a chance.

By this time our plan of a leisurely stroll throughout the World Showcase turned into a all right, lets get some food semi-power walk, so we breezed past Canada and the United Kingdom, over the bridge into France where Alex snapped this shot:

IMG_0380.jpg

I think if we compared our shots from the last trip to this trip we'd have a lot of duplicates. What can I say, we know what things we like to take pictures of, so what if they're not changing we still want shots of them.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
We knew where we were headed for food, but before we continued on our way Alex wanted to stop for a Grey Goose Lemon Slush, whatever they're called, at the little kiosk across from Chefs de France (booze de France). She'd been looking at pictures of these things for months and couldn't wait to try one for herself, so she finally got a chance to. I was saving myself for bigger and better things later in the day.

Lemon slush:

IMG_0381.jpg

This thing, we liked it:

IMG_0382.jpg

When we got to Morocco I only took this shot since we were getting really hungry now and Alex had her eyes set on one thing to eat:

IMG_0383.jpg

We didn't know it at the time (or until a few days later when we really explored all the pavilions) but just beyond the woman in front of us in the black shirt is a hidden Mickey which you can see most of in that picture. Who doesn't love a hidden Mickey? I know I drove Alex crazy looking for hidden Mickeys on every ride we went on last time around so I promised her I'd take it easy this trip, and I did, we didn't see too many at all.

We finally made it into Japan, much to Alex's enjoyment:

IMG_0384.jpg

and promptly made our way up to the Katsura Grill, that's what they're calling it these days, right? Well here's the ceiling and the intriguing light fixture in case you never look up when you're inside:

IMG_0387.jpg

It was completely packed inside, I guess people were worried it might rain, so we headed outside to a nice little built in bench that have facing the lagoon, I can't believe more people weren't sitting there. We saw a total of three people sitting there the entire trip, we would take a quick look with each pass through Japan. What I found most interesting about the Katsura Grill is that every one eating inside was of Asian decent. You're in the WS, why not try something new? You don't see me sitting eating hot dogs at the American Experience. Anyway, as we made our way out this rather large pond caught our eyes:

IMG_0389.jpg

We loved the ducks in Disney, although we'd never feed them. I think that's something parents should teach their children, never feed the ducks. These two homeboys were just chillin':

IMG_0390.jpg

They didn't move the entire time, they were even there when we went to empty the train some time later. Before we did that it was finally time for Alex to have her noodle bowl that she'd been looking forward to for over a year:

IMG_0391.jpg

Saying it didn't disappoint would be an understatement. The broth was outstanding, it also had what we image was fried onions in it which were great, and some scallions (I think). It reminded us of the onion soup they give you at Beni Hana, minus the mushrooms plus noodles, if you've never been to Beni Hana sorry, try it sometime. The portion size was pretty big for a counter service as well (although we're not surprised by the amount of food they give you at CS in WDW any more). Alex doesn't each much as it is, but she made it through almost half of this (which is saying something) before she had to stop herself. Just as we were finishing up the drummers came out to put on a show so we decided to sit a bit more since we were in no rush to do anything. On top of that it seemed like every one that had been in WDW the previous day went home since there was hardly any one in the park. On our way out I snapped these two shots,

Canada and the UK, I also think that's the land behind them (could be wrong):

IMG_0393.jpg

And of course Spaceship Earth, what is it about SSE that make people unable to stop taking pictures of it? We also couldn't get over the palm trees next to Christmas trees the entire time we were down there. We're used to snow covered streets:

IMG_0394.jpg

tiaragirl

Awesome TR so far, AJ (it is AJ, right?).

The picture of you and Alex upon return to MK and then at the Wishes dessert party are great - you guys are the cutest.

Can't wait for moooore.
Kenzie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom