"Chicken Little" will be tell-tale sign of Eisner

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I strongly believe that the success of Chicken Little will be the tell-tale sign of whether Eisner still has what it takes to stay CEO. I can't wait to see how it does. If it's successful like the Pixar films are, then Eisner will have proven that he still has the creative ability to pull it off. But if Chicken Little is anything less than the success of Nemo then something's wrong in the Magic Kingdom.

Of course, it will be extremely difficult to top Nemo, so it'll be unfair to set expectations that high. But expectations should be high, but let's not expect it to be as good as Nemo, or even close, but somewhere up there.

Shaman

I think Eisner needs to go regardless. It would be nice however, if he left with a positive note. In a way I'm happy that Pixar and Disney are no longer partners; for it forces Disney to make an attempt at a medium they should have been far more involved in for the longest time. On the other hand losing Pixar, makes Pixar a competitor (and well Eisner didn't keep to the saying, "keep your friends close and enemies closer)....but oh well competition is good I guess...for now....

I hope Chicken little does well at the box office, but again Eisner's departure is long over due...

lebernadin

Pixar won't be a true competitor for Disney. The majority of Pixar's success has been at the hands of the Disney marketing and distribution gurus. NO ONE can market, worldwide, as well as Disney.

Pixar wouldn't have had a quarter of the capital they now enjoy, had they not signed those deals with Disney. It will be interesting to see how Pixar does, post-Disney, but it won't be threatening to Disney's empire.

Shaman

Originally posted by lebernadin
Pixar won't be a true competitor for Disney. The majority of Pixar's success has been at the hands of the Disney marketing and distribution gurus. NO ONE can market, worldwide, as well as Disney.

Pixar wouldn't have had a quarter of the capital they now enjoy, had they not signed those deals with Disney. It will be interesting to see how Pixar does, post-Disney, but it won't be threatening to Disney's empire.

Lets see if Disney will release any movie on the day a Pixar film will be released (though such a scenario is about two years away...my guess is they won't). But I agree, alot of their success is contributed to Disney and their ability to get their product out there...but looking at failures like Treasure Planet and Atlantis, its obvious that there is something more to making hits than distribution and marketing.

Disney has for the most part never had a true competitor when it came to animation, Pixar I think will be the first.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Originally posted by objr
Lets see if Disney will release any movie on the day a Pixar film will be released (though such a scenario is about two years away...my guess is they won't). But I agree, alot of their success is contributed to Disney and their ability to get their product out there...but looking at failures like Treasure Planet and Atlantis, its obvious that there is something more to making hits than distribution and marketing.

Disney has for the most part never had a true competitor when it came to animation, Pixar I think will be the first.

Wasn't Roy Disney in charge when Treasure Planet and Atlantis was produced? Who is in charge of Animation now?

mr snrub

Eisner better be gone by the time Chicken Little rolls around...

And i have mixed feelings for this movie. On one hand, all the best guys in disney are in one place working on this thing.

On the other hand, its perfectly reasonable to have low expectations. Aside from the fact that brother bear was seemingly sub-par (didnt see it, but didnt read too much good about it.), they also seem to be banking on the school of "3-d sells, 2-d doesnt."

JBSLJames

Anybody remeber when KFC had 'Chicken Littles'? They were like the White Castles of the Poultry world. Yum Yum. Nothing like them since.

wdwmaniac

I think Chicken little might be a success it looks funny and it seems it might be Disney's come back. While Valient doesn't look as promising.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Originally posted by JBSLJames
Anybody remeber when KFC had 'Chicken Littles'? They were like the White Castles of the Poultry world. Yum Yum. Nothing like them since.

If Chicken Little is successful, and everything they are building at WDW are too, then Eisner can claim that Disney has made a creative comeback in 2005, and he was the one who lead that comeback, thus (attempting) to silence all those critics who claim Eisner lost his creative touch.

If Eisner is successful at this, then, I say, more power to him! And Roy and co. would have done their jobs by creating checks and balances and putting Eisner in check.

Really, who cares who is at the helm, as long as Disney is financially healthy and still a creative powerhouse. If it's Michael Eisner that causes the turn-around, why continue the campaign to oust him?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Originally posted by PeterAlt
If Chicken Little is successful, and everything they are building at WDW are too, then Eisner can claim that Disney has made a creative comeback in 2005, and he was the one who lead that comeback, thus (attempting) to silence all those critics who claim Eisner lost his creative touch.

If Eisner is successful at this, then, I say, more power to him! And Roy and co. would have done their jobs by creating checks and balances and putting Eisner in check.

Really, who cares who is at the helm, as long as Disney is financially healthy and still a creative powerhouse. If it's Michael Eisner that causes the turn-around, why continue the campaign to oust him?

[puts on his devil's advocate suit]
A creative powerhouse? Hmmm.... I don't know, let me check some of their hits lately.... Cinderella II, Lady and The Tramp II, 102 Dalmations, 101 Dalmations II, Atlantis, Atlantis II, Tarzan II, The Little Mermaid II, and soon... .Bambi II!!!

Seriously, though, I don't think Eisner is the person who has been responsible for the "success" of Disney, at least not entirely. He had foils between 1984 and 1994, look at what they were able to do! Since then, the foils have been replaced with "Yes!!!" people, and here we are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom