Changes at WDW due to alligator attack (dedicated thread)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I obviously hope they don't, but at this point I won't be completely surprised. You said- "I'm glad Disney responded quickly to this issue without having to have temporary chain link fence lining its shores." That's where I will respectfully disagree with you. I see a horrible, horrible tragedy that happened. Not an alligator "issue".

Does anyone know at this point if they are planning on creating a barrier on all of the water areas throughout WDW? Or only the areas with a beach?

But it is an alligator issue... That horrible, terrible incident occurred because alligators inhabit just about ever single body of water in Florida, including those in the magical bubble called Disney.

So short of eradicating every single alligator in the 27,000 acres that comprises Walt Disney World (which quite frankly would be impossible to do and would not be allowed by either FWC or FWS), Disney is improving its signage and putting up barriers to prevent people from entering the SSL (and I assume Bay Lake also).

Because the REAL issue is human encroachment on/destruction of the habit of a pretty efficient predator.

asianway

Back to the intern fired then rehired....

I doubt if Disney's restrictions on the use of social media by CMs would withstand a constitutional challenge. Protected speech is protected speech. So unless what a CM says, writes, posts, etc., fits the definition of libel, slander or seditious speech, and if I'm remembering the constitutional law class I took years ago correctly, Disney hasn't a case. Libel/slander can be tough for a publicly traded company to prove (need the whole malicious intent thrown into the mix) - one reason why a certain candidate for POTUS wants to change those laws. If SCOTUS said in Citizens United that money equates to speech and is therefore protected, I doubt Disney's policy on social media usage by CMs would stand. You can have employees sign all kinds of "no social media" policies you want, but if it's unconstitutional, the policy is void. Lawyers who are members on this board can confirm - or refute - what I've written.

I'm a retired public employee. The Supreme Court has said twice that public (governmental) employees have the same First Amendment speech protection as private citizens. Provided we don't engage in libel or slander or seditious speech. So if I'm protected, I'm sure the young lady would be also.
Paging @71jason

21stamps

But it is an alligator issue... That horrible, terrible incident occurred because alligators inhabit just about ever single body of water in Florida, including those in the magical bubble called Disney.

So short of eradicating every single alligator in the 27,000 acres that comprises Walt Disney World (which quite frankly would be impossible to do and would not be allowed by either FWC or FWS), Disney is improving it's signage and putting up barriers to prevent people from entering the SSL (and I assume Bay Lake also).

Because the REAL issue is human encroachment on/destruction of the habit of a pretty efficient predator.
Putting up barriers for show. Because a sign isn't enough. Because people want to touch and see how they are being made more safe. That's what disgusts and saddens me.

You're correct, alligators exist in every body of water in Florida. Guess what? We still go in those bodies of water. Most of us don't live in fear of a 1 in 2.4 million chance happening to us. WDW doesn't have an "alligator issue" anymore than anywhere else. Unfortunately, this rare attack did happen on Disney property..still doesn't mean than it's something that got out of hand or wasn't being handled properly in the first place.

Biff215

I obviously hope they don't, but at this point I won't be completely surprised. You said- "I'm glad Disney responded quickly to this issue without having to have temporary chain link fence lining its shores." That's where I will respectfully disagree with you. I see a horrible, horrible tragedy that happened. Not an alligator "issue".

Does anyone know at this point if they are planning on creating a barrier on all of the water areas throughout WDW? Or only the areas with a beach?
Certainly agree that what happened was a tragedy, but the "issue" can't be ignored any longer than it already was. I don't blame anyone directly for what happened, but now that it did, Disney had no choice but to eliminate access to these potential problem areas. Does it protect everyone 100%? Absolutely not. But it does show guests that they are at least trying to prevent this from happening again. It restores some confidence and rests some fears, even if it is ultimately a false sense of security.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Putting up barriers for show. Because a sign isn't enough. Because people want to touch and see how they are being made more safe. That's what disgusts and saddens me.

You're correct, alligators exist in every body of water in Florida. Guess what? We still go in those bodies of water. Most of us don't live in fear of a 1 in 2.4 million chance happening to us.

No, it's because people are either stupid (won't happen to me syndrome) or not informed.

So, for some, a sign that says "No swimming", especially if that visitor isn't knowledgeable about predatory wildlife that lives in Florida's water (probably think, yeah Everglades, but not in an artificial body of water like SSL), won't have the same impact as it would for someone who's lived in Florida for years. So you improve the verbiage on signs and install barriers. What is wrong with educating visitors?

Thus, Disney must put something in place that would meet the lowest common denominator. And there still will be people who will climb over the fence and rocks to wade in that water....that disgusting water. Same mentality that sneaks into an abandoned water park.

And yes, I'm sure another reason is PR. Imagine the outcry if Disney hadn't changed a thing....

21stamps

Certainly agree that what happened was a tragedy, but the "issue" can't be ignored any longer than it already was. I don't blame anyone directly for what happened, but now that it did, Disney had no choice but to eliminate access to these potential problem areas. Does it protect everyone 100%? Absolutely not. But it does show guests that they are at least trying to prevent this from happening again. It restores some confidence and rests some fears, even if it is ultimately a false sense of security.
That's my entire point. We've become a group that needs a false sense of security. I'm not trying to argue about it. People are entitled to their opinions. I just think that living in fear or over reacting, yes I know that sounds harsh after something so terrible happened, but I still feel it's an over reaction, is creating a world that is becoming too human proofed. It's just sad to me. Water doesn't equal alligator attack. Somehow though now tons of people think they are one in the same.

21stamps

No, it's because people are either stupid (won't happen to me syndrome) or not informed.

So, for some, a sign that says "No swimming", especially if that visitor isn't knowledgeable about predatory wildlife that lives in Florida's water (probably think, yeah Everglades, but not in an artificial body of water like SSL), won't have the same impact as it would for someone who's lived in Florida for years. So you improve the verbiage on signs and install barriers. What is wrong with educating visitors?

Thus, Disney must put something in place that would meet the lowest common denominator. And there still will be people who will climb over the fence and rocks to wade in that water....that disgusting water. Same mentality that sneaks into an abandoned water park.

And yes, I'm sure another reason is PR. Imagine the outcry if Disney hadn't changed a thing....
I knew. Yet I swam in that water as a child. I let my own child play at the edge of Seven Seas Lagoon, I also let him stand in the water for a few moments, even though I know that technically he wasn't supposed to be in it (which I don't think had anything to do with alligators).

I'll stop complaining now. What's done is done. Vent over, I promise.lol

Biff215

That's my entire point. We've become a group that needs a false sense of security. I'm not trying to argue about it. People are entitled to their opinions. I just think that living in fear or over reacting, yes I know that sounds harsh after something so terrible happened, but I still feel it's an over reaction, is creating a world that is becoming too human proofed. It's just sad to me. Water doesn't equal alligator attack. Somehow though now tons of people think they are one in the same.
I agree that it's a shame that the world works like this today. I just don't have a problem with the fence because between the bacteria, watercraft, and wildlife, people don't belong in there anyway. Hopefully this will allow the beaches to be enjoyed throughout the day. Sure the view is partially obstructed, but it could have been worse, they could have removed these areas entirely.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Could everyone please stick to the topic of new changes (or temporary changes either being eliminated, or being made permanent), rather than continuing to give opinions as to whether or not they are/were needed. Thank you.

Sorry, Mom. I promise I will stick to topic. *thoroughly chastised* :oops:

prberk

Original Poster
Could everyone please stick to the topic of new changes (or temporary changes either being eliminated, or being made permanent), rather than continuing to give opinions as to whether or not they are/were needed. Thank you.

Thanks. I think since the other thread has petered out, this one has become the place for discussion.

Glad to see some news in this one of late, though.

Anyone know yet whether or not they allow you to fish again in the streams of Fort Wilderness or Port Orleans Riverside, both of which had good shoreline pole fishing -- and touted for it in Birnbaum's book?

flyerjab

image.jpeg
Waiting for the boat at the Poly this morning and just snapped this photo. There are about 30 workers in this shot transforming the coastline from sand to rock.

The section of the GF beach where the incident occurred is already completed.

GrammieBee

Maybe the rocks are as much to keep alligators off the beach as well as keeping people out of the water. Don't imagine they would be too comfortable to crawl over. Alligators are not armor plated everywhere...
The fence will almost certainly stay. I was not in favor of fences, but the net fencing and the rock barrier are quite fitting for a beach scene and look much better than expected.
Since you can't educate the alligators, Disney can try to educate the humans. The plan put in place seems to be just keep them separated as best they can without completely ruining the beach fronts...

Bairstow

Has anyone else speculated that with Disney doing away with the sandy beaches that it opens the possibility of trying to use wave generators for the lagoon again?

DisneyOutsider

Has anyone else speculated that with Disney doing away with the sandy beaches that it opens the possibility of trying to use wave generators for the lagoon again?

Highly doubtful those things are still functional.

Also doubtful they would be willing to invest the money necessary just so we can all look at a few waves, as opposed to the original intention of being able to splash around in a clean lagoon.

21stamps

That would be awesome, but I doubt it. The wave generators were for the enjoyment of the people in the water.

Bairstow

Highly doubtful those things are still functional.

Also doubtful they would be willing to invest the money necessary just so we can all look at a few waves, as opposed to the original intention of being able to splash around in a clean lagoon.

I'm sure the original hardware is junk.
My thinking, though, is that the wave action could be an added deterrent against further alligator incursions.

21stamps

I'm sure the original hardware is junk.
My thinking, though, is that the wave action could be an added deterrent against further alligator incursions.
I hope this isn't off topic because I think it's important to say.

The alligators have always been there. They will continue to be there. Trappers have and will continue to remove large ones when they see them. Millions of people live near the Everglades, some literally in their backyard. The Everglades have many more "dangerous creatures" than you will find at WDW. Yet all of these millions of people go about their daily lives without fear of snakes, alligators, crocodiles etc. What happened at the Grand Floridian was an extremely rare occurrence. Not one that should initiate fear.

They're instilling/installed fences and rocks and signage as has been reported. We're still waiting on word about non charter fishing. I think anyone who may not have been aware now knows that you should not and legally can not feed an alligator. Beyond that I think everyone needs to accept that not much more can be done.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom