Changes at WDW due to alligator attack (dedicated thread)

Daveeeeed

I'm guessing it was something created by one of her direct managers. I doubt it was approved by anyone higher than that land's proprietor/area manager, but things like that don't typically need to get approved by higher ups either, since each land can - to an extent - make many small decisions on their own. Everyone in on-stage roles - as far as I know - got trained on an official, company approved "wildlife update." Her management probably just thought they'd be a little more specific with what they wanted CMs to say when guests ask specifically about alligators. I like that they were trying to give CMs something consistent to say, but I think whoever wrote it was incredibly misguided as to what he/she thought would be best to tell guests. There are soooo many better ways to answer guests' questions about the wildlife than to flat out lie to them!
That's probably why she got rehired. Great point! Anyone know if there have been any reports of other signs?

Daveeeeed

Yep I think the fence is staying. The posts are metal topped, and don't appear to be temporary.
Seems like Disney is doing the right thing. The rocks look good and don't ruin the feel of the beach, and the fence kind of rids the true 'beach' feel, but it doesn't look bad. Do you know if the permanent fences are themed to each resort ?

21stamps

However, that rock barrier will not keep people out of the water... only some sort of fencing will do that. The point is to discourage, along with signs, people entering the water. Only some type of fencing will do that.
Heaven forbid just trusting people to read a sign.

I hope the fence gets taken down. I also think the rocks are dumb, but I know they had to do something to appease people. I'll definitely take the rocks over a fence, I just doubt they will be coming down anytime soon.

21stamps

It's not that we don't trust them to READ it, we don't trust that they won't then ignore it.
I agree with you. Which is even more sad. At some point there should be a government mandate that we can't leave the house without a bubble suit on. Of course we shouldn't have to pay for our own bubble suit though, because it's always someone else's job to keep us safe from any possible dangerous scenario. Even those scenarios where a rare occurrence of a nature attack happens- with no fault to any human.

Shout out to the Swan, Dolphin, and Four Seasons for not treating us all like idiots.

psherman42

However, that rock barrier will not keep people out of the water... only some sort of fencing will do that. The point is to discourage, along with signs, people entering the water. Only some type of fencing will do that.
But it's not like that fence wasn't possible to get over. If somebody ignores the signs and the rock barriers; I'm sorry but they deserve what they get. Disney did their part to improve safety. At some point you have to expect your guests to have some level of common sense.

psherman42

I highly doubt it. By removing the fence, instead of alligator attacks, you have trips, falls, scrapes, and worse from the rocks. The fences are staying.
But didn't the Grand Floridian already have an area with rocks? And signs that said not to climb on them? I feel like they should remove the fences. If they have a sign not to climb on them, how can Disney be responsible?

21stamps

But it's not like that fence wasn't possible to get over. If somebody ignores the signs and the rock barriers; I'm sorry but they deserve what they get. Disney did their part to improve safety. At some point you have to expect your guests to have some level of common sense.
...or at some point we just have to realize and accept that some times bad and rare things do happen, and we can't fully be protected from them. It doesn't mean going thru life expecting they will happen.

I think once upon a time, in a pre law suit era, people did realize this.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
But didn't the Grand Floridian already have an area with rocks? And signs that said not to climb on them? I feel like they should remove the fences. If they have a sign not to climb on them, how can Disney be responsible?
Yes, but those areas didn't have a beach attached to it. Guests were not drawn to those areas to go into the water.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I must question the competency of any manager who would post such a stupid notice like that, whether it was approved by higher management or not. To instruct, in a posted written notice, employees to lie to customers is litigation waiting to happen...both from employees and those customers you told employees to lie to. OF COURSE they had to rehire her. And need to fire the manager/supervisor who authorized the creation and posting of the notice if that's what happened. Has Disney lost its collective mind? :confused:

Sheesh....

Yes Disney lost their collective mind years ago, Back about when they promoted Iger.

Biff215

I agree with you. Which is even more sad. At some point there should be a government mandate that we can't leave the house without a bubble suit on. Of course we shouldn't have to pay for our own bubble suit though, because it's always someone else's job to keep us safe from any possible dangerous scenario. Even those scenarios where a rare occurrence of a nature attack happens- with no fault to any human.

Shout out to the Swan, Dolphin, and Four Seasons for not treating us all like idiots.
I'd be surprised if the Swan and Dolphin don't end up with something. Disney owns the land, so you know they would be liable if something happened there. Maybe they're fighting over who pays for it or the design, but it would be strange to leave it alone when Disney's guests are literally walking around those resorts. Four Seasons is technically off property now so they can make their own decisions.

I don't mind the fence or the rocks, and together they make it look much more natural. No way that fence is going anywhere, unless it is replaced by something else. I'm glad Disney responded quickly to this issue without having to have temporary chain link fence lining its shores.

21stamps

I'd be surprised if the Swan and Dolphin don't end up with something. Disney owns the land, so you know they would be liable if something happened there. Maybe they're fighting over who pays for it or the design, but it would be strange to leave it alone when Disney's guests are literally walking around those resorts. Four Seasons is technically off property now so they can make their own decisions.

I don't mind the fence or the rocks, and together they make it look much more natural. No way that fence is going anywhere, unless it is replaced by something else. I'm glad Disney responded quickly to this issue without having to have temporary chain link fence lining its shores.
I obviously hope they don't, but at this point I won't be completely surprised. You said- "I'm glad Disney responded quickly to this issue without having to have temporary chain link fence lining its shores." That's where I will respectfully disagree with you. I see a horrible, horrible tragedy that happened. Not an alligator "issue".

Does anyone know at this point if they are planning on creating a barrier on all of the water areas throughout WDW? Or only the areas with a beach?

mimitchi33

Now that everything is (almost) back to normal, has the Disney Junior show returned the part where they ask the audience to make crocodile noises in the show, or do they still keep the clapping?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom