Pre-Trip "Celebrate like its 1971" - The ultimate flashback trip - JK!!!

Hello All
It has been awhile since I posted my own trip - as opposed to commenting on someone else's trip.
But the time has come for the Max family to return to WDW.

As the title suggests this will be (almost) like a trip in 1971.

Who: Me (Max) , my DW Tricia, my two DD (Steph and Cassie) and their partners (Jordan and Shane)

Why : To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of course - and to celebrate Cassie and Shane being engaged.
(our last trip to WDW was Dec 2018 with all 6 of us when Steph and Jordan were engaged)

When: Sunday to Sunday - Oct 2nd to the 9th

How: no flights for this crew - doing it old school with a road trip from our home in Canada
I thought about trying to find this beauty to drive - but I will stick with my Highlander ( this is the "almost" like 1971 part my friends)

1662850518551.png

Agenda:

Sunday Oct 2 and Monday Oct 3- Drive to Florida - 3 capable highway drivers and we should be there late on the Monday.
Tuesday Oct 4 - Resort day - staying at the Poly (since it opened in Oct 1971)
Wednesday Oct 5 & Thursday Oct 6 - Magic Kingdom - we will only ride the rides that were there at the opening of the park
Friday Oct 7 - Beach day- we are thinking Coco beach - but not sure about the weather in October
Saturday Oct 8 & Sunday Oct 9 - drive home to Canada

Below is from my collection of ride vehicles - it is a pretty good representation of which rides we will be able to enjoy - And before anyone says anything I put in Mr Toad for fun - knowing that is is no longer available in Florida anymore!!

1662850957135.jpeg

No fancy ears for this crew - we will bring these along to get into the spirit of the trip

1662851133325.jpeg

Now if only I could figure out a way to pay 1971 prices for this trip

Hope you can join me on this adventure!

Max

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Just thought about a couple of things i did not mention in the first post that will be a challenge

1) All cash - we are going to all take out enough to cover for the whole week and get it converted to US dollars in advance. Not sure if they even sell travellers cheques any more? We will all have to declare at the border so that they do not think we are tying to money launder!!

2) No cell phones - we are going to have to use maps to get us there . We will bring one phone for emergencies but not use it otherwise.
Cassie was going to buy an old school polaroid insta camera for her wedding so we will bring it - so there will not be a lot of pictures in the trip report.

Max

I don't think travellers cheques are a thing anymore, but you could probably get a Visa gift card so you don't have to worry about wads of cash.

pkkurz

Just thought about a couple of things i did not mention in the first post that will be a challenge

1) All cash - we are going to all take out enough to cover for the whole week and get it converted to US dollars in advance. Not sure if they even sell travellers cheques any more? We will all have to declare at the border so that they do not think we are tying to money launder!!

2) No cell phones - we are going to have to use maps to get us there . We will bring one phone for emergencies but not use it otherwise.
Cassie was going to buy an old school polaroid insta camera for her wedding so we will bring it - so there will not be a lot of pictures in the trip report.

Max
Wow. Talk about old school! I can’t imagine paying cash at the gas station. The lines can be brutal, not to mention, can they even make change?

erstwo

Max
Lots of American cash and a burner phone???? Not suspicious. Not. at. all. 😂

Also - I am dying to know who in your group is riding in the third row of the Highlander??? I haven't used the third row in my Highlander in years (I have a Sequoia for when I have a big group) but I remember once - before I had the Sequoia - my sister in law saying there was no way she was sitting in the third row of my Highlander because it only had enough leg room for a hobbit. LOL If an adult is going to ride all the way from Canada to Orlando in that third row, I am sending this trip report to my SIL and telling her she should have toughed it up! ;)

I can't tell if you have a trailer hitch, but we love our trailer hitch cargo carrier - we've used it with both the Highlander and the Sequoia. Ours came with a waterproof bag and we can fit four 21" suitcases in it.

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Keeping with the 1971 theme?
found this one yesterday

1663089561214.png

But hmmmm, how to play them? 8-track?
I guess we will listen to Sirus XM 60s station and 70s station - but only songs from 71 or earlier??
I don't think travellers cheques are a thing
I did not think so either
An old fashion road trip sounds awesome! Good luck
will need it
Sounds fun, are you going to do dining at only the ones that were open in 1971?
Yes - we will go offsite to eat most meals is my guess
Also - I am dying to know who in your group is riding in the third row of the Highlander??? I
It will be a very tight fit in the third row
I'll keep an eye out for a group decked out in maple leaf bell bottoms. I assume that is what people from Canada wore in 1971..
Not sure if we will dress to that level
But now that you mention it we should be more accurate and only have people on the trip that were alive in 1971

Max

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well , it has been 71 hours since I started this pre trip report.
The response has been very positive - which is a little surprising....

rick astley 80s GIF

Rick Astley Pixel GIF
rick roll GIF
rick astley pixel GIF

the emperors new groove disney family GIF
1663107991992.png

Waynes World Fish GIF by Hollywood Suite
bazinga GIF

So just to clarify ...

Yes - we are all going to WDW from Oct 2 -9

but No - I will not be spending thousands of dollars to drive for half of the vacation and only go on a few rides at only the Magic Kingdom while pretending it is 1971.

Thanks for playing along - real trip report to come after we get back

TTFN

Max

pkkurz

Well , it has been 71 hours since I started this pre trip report.
The response has been very positive - which is a little surprising....

rick astley 80s GIF

Rick Astley Pixel GIF
rick roll GIF
rick astley pixel GIF

the emperors new groove disney family GIF
View attachment 666524

Waynes World Fish GIF by Hollywood Suite
bazinga GIF

So just to clarify ...

Yes - we are all going to WDW from Oct 2 -9

but No - I will not be spending thousands of dollars to drive for half of the vacation and only go on a few rides at only the Magic Kingdom while pretending it is 1971.

Thanks for playing along - real trip report to come after we get back

TTFN

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom