Casey Jr., Double Dumbo Unveiled !

NewfieFan

So Disney won't let us have diarrhea in the Storybook Circus fountains or drink the toilet water?!? DECLINING BY DEGREES!!
This made me laugh... a lot!!!
I really don't get what everyone is up in arms about!?! Isn't this the same rules for swimming pools? We don't want our kids drinking pool water and we would hope that most parents would keep their sick children out of the water.

Ignohippo

We were there today and the Dumbo line was ridiculous. We waited outside in line for about 15 minutes, only to get inside the tent to find at least another 30 minutes of queues, before even getting to the play area. It was totally unexpected (there are no wait times posted and there was no way of knowing there was more queue inside). Horrible.

I'm really concerned this new play area is going to actually make wait times much, much longer. They doubled the capacity, but massively increased the apeal at he same time. We'll see when dumbo #2 comes on-line though.

Flip83

Why not just build the train engine so that it's not climb-through in the first place? The fence makes it look like after it was designed and built someone said "hmm... maybe thats not a good idea, but instead of fixing it, we'll just put a fence there". In addition to kids climbing over that fence, I'll bet $10 it takes less than an hour for a parent to lift their kid over the fence to get the perfect photo of them inside the train.

But... the expansion area as a whole is looking good. Certainly exceeding my expectations.

Expansion looking great as expected. The fence is very weird, and obviously they will change it. But what you said is exactly what will get done, I think. Why not just make the engine solid and no ways to get in it at all? Whew, between this and the Tigger Bounce pads... Why are these hairbrain ideas getting the nods? lol. Besides little flaws that will be attended to, I love everything I see.

All I'm hoping for is a soft opening of Little Mermaid or something early Oct. I think it's possible, but we'll see. Fingers Crossed

Ignohippo

I had a chance to stop by MK yesterday for a few hours and made a point of heading back to see these newly unveiled components of the Storybook Circus. For those who feel compelled to complain about this area (especially those who've only seen photos), you need to spend some time on a hot summer day and see the smiles and hear the laughter from kids and adults together in the space. There were countless kids running in and out of the streams of water, a group of 5 adults were standing right in front of Casey waiting for the point where he blows his top so they'd get wet. All were smiling, all were laughing. This is exactly the experience Disney had in mind and I think they pulled it off brilliantly.

I did notice one thing that I suspect Disney might need to make an adaptation for. Large numbers of the kids were taking there shoes off and piling them at the top of the stairs before heading into the play area. It seems likely that they may need to add some sort of a shoe locker type of thing like you might see in a McDonald's Playland for the little ones to put there shoes to keep them dry.

It may not be something you personally would enjoy but I assure you there wasn't a kid around there yesterday who was not having a good time. Except for the one who walked by me as his dad told him he couldn't go in the water and get wet; he wasn't very happy.

As for the water, it is certainly recirculated just like a swimming pool is and I noted a hint of the smell of chlorine when I was there very late on Friday night. The chlorine smell surprised me a little since most pools don't use chlorine as the primary method to keep them clean but that might just be a little 'new attraction' smell since I didn't notice it yesterday.

^ This. Everyone should read this post, or visit the area in person, before making judgement.

threeyoda

Here's a cool little detail in the Casey Jr. Area. On one of the train cars off to the side in the area:

IMG_6061.jpg

This is painted on the side of the car:

IMG_6070.jpg

It's actually the Firehouse Five Plus Two, in clown form:

Bing_Crosby_Firehouse_Five_plus_two_1950.JPG

You can read more about them here - Firehouse Five Plus Two

The head clown in the painting is also Ward Kimball, in clown form:

4055158084_a05164469f_z.jpg

The Empress Lilly

Here's a cool little detail in the Casey Jr. Area. On one of the train cars off to the side in the area:

IMG_6061.jpg
I have some respect for the tributes. But otherwise, I have to be a sourpuss:

I hate clowns with a vengance. They are scary freaks.
I hate monkeys portrayed as animals to be laughed at. They are magnificent intelligent animals.
I hate circuses using live animals: it is impossible to treat the animals with anything remotely approaching humane caretaking.
I hate WDW gloryfying and trivialising locking exotic animals up in tiny cages and driving them across country. (it's fine for the seventy year old movie, no problem woth that. But let the past be the past)

* and breathe
sweatdrop.gif

Jim Handy

Disney. The World's premier entertainemnt company. They couldn't even do this right.

According to some of the more aware folks on Twitter, the first Dumbo spinner has a problem. It hits the concrete moat when it's in its lowest position, wearing away at the bodies.

So, I'd expect a refurb in the near future. A refurb that includes the reconstruction of the water feature, and repair of the Dumbos before the damage gets worse.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney. The World's premier entertainemnt company. They couldn't even do this right.

According to some of the more aware folks on Twitter, the first Dumbo spinner has a problem. It hits the concrete moat when it's in its lowest position, wearing away at the bodies.

So, I'd expect a refurb in the near future. A refurb that includes the reconstruction of the water feature, and repair of the Dumbos before the damage gets worse.

Yep, one of the members here mentioned this a few weeks ago, and we now have photographic confirmation of the problem:

http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2012/06/fantasyland-update-new-tower-appears.html#more

RAXIP

It appears only a small section of the wall was made incorrectly. Here's a photo of the area from June 15.
765F83E9-3A4D-4ECD-A13E-C818AB1BA24E.JPG

And a look at the damage to one of the Dumbos. I counted seven elephants with scraped knees.
B6E539D6-C61A-4105-9AEB-60A070B9CC7D.JPG

Here's a look at that same spot from June 22. The Dumbo's still had damaged knees.
99458A53-168B-40BE-9573-A8465755EE78.JPG

And a bonus photo.
2557DE28-4056-4253-A3AD-AA25EB1DC339.JPG

threeyoda

Everyone and every company makes mistakes. Obviously, they shouldn't happen, but they do. It's a part of life. And it doesn't look like it's that big of an area, just a small section of the knee area. For all we know, it could've been just one little error in the concrete laying process that pushed this area out too far. Wether it be Universal, Six Flags, Disney, or even a little local park, they all will make mistakes every once in a while.

Jim Handy

Thanks, Raxip for providing me with the correct information. Still an embarrassing situation, but looks like it won't be too hard to fix.

tl77

It appears only a small section of the wall was made incorrectly. Here's a photo of the area from June 15.
765F83E9-3A4D-4ECD-A13E-C818AB1BA24E.JPG

Here's a look at that same spot from June 22. The Dumbo's still had damaged knees.
99458A53-168B-40BE-9573-A8465755EE78.JPG

It's funny that it's right where that small bridge is in the water, was it the bridge that caused the cars to hit the wall or something with that spot where the tiles were put on?

NewfieFan

So how will they fix the Dumbos? Can this be done on site? Or will the Dumbos have to come off (can they even do that, doesn't it require a crane)?

CaptainWinter

...which is in the grand tradition of Disney parks' stuff being initially botched and fixed up later. This is from Michael Barrier's book:

When Disneyland opened on July 17, 1955, Main Street was finished and a half dozen Fantasyland rides were operating, but the other three lands offered only that many rides among them (a precise count being difficult because so many attractions broke down in the course of the day). ... Much of the park ... was bare dirt and empty spaces.​
So, the Dumbos knees are scraped. It's a mistake, to be sure, but they'll fix it. No organization gets everything right at first nor did they ever.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So how will they fix the Dumbos? Can this be done on site? Or will the Dumbos have to come off (can they even do that, doesn't it require a crane)?

Either or really. You wouldn't need a crane. A small car sized lift could pick these up and move them around, etc. Just like every other ride vehicle. Because of the setup time of the materials and stuff, they might take the vehicles off and do it backstage. Assuming they have spares - this can be done with little guest impact.

Or, once the new Dumbo spinner comes online, they just take the new one off for a short period to fix it all at once. My guess is they'll keep them both going and do whatever it takes to fix this over time.

Uncle Lupe

Either or really. You wouldn't need a crane. A small car sized lift could pick these up and move them around, etc. Just like every other ride vehicle. Because of the setup time of the materials and stuff, they might take the vehicles off and do it backstage. Assuming they have spares - this can be done with little guest impact.

Or, once the new Dumbo spinner comes online, they just take the new one off for a short period to fix it all at once. My guess is they'll keep them both going and do whatever it takes to fix this over time.

Will they fix them right or just have a guy with grey paint and paint roller stand by the ride while it spins? That would save on labor costs with minimal down time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom