Carousel of Progress exterior refurbishment

WEDwaydatamover

Again it's like so many attractions that were once favorites... They were neglected and run down so much that I couldn't visit them anymore. It was too depressing, dumbed-down or out-dated (the ending) anyway.

The ending was outdated and uncomfortable immediately in 1994- let alone 26 years later.

Last edited:

NearTheEars

Looks like 'kitty' has been turned around as well, looking at the above 'before' and 'after' photos.
Now his back is to the audience, probably to draw more attention to his twitching tail.

I also see a 'hidden Mickey' that is not so hidden on one of those X-mas present wrappings.

-

I heard the cat's face is melted, so they turned it away.

Corbin

I really really like the paintjob, and I'm glad the Carousel is going to keep spinning for at least another few years. Honestly at this point, I think they should go back to the original future scene because keeping up with the actual future isn't working.

"Hey daddy, that VR thing the grandma has looks awesome!"
"I just got an HTC Vive the other day honey, we can play it when we go home."

Castle Cake Apologist

Looks like 'kitty' has been turned around as well, looking at the above 'before' and 'after' photos.
Now his back is to the audience, probably to draw more attention to his twitching tail.

I also see a 'hidden Mickey' that is not so hidden on one of those X-mas present wrappings.

-

The bottom photos are the "after" pictures. The cat USED to face away from the audience, but now faces forward. :)

prberk

They just barely had carphones in 1994. The certainly didn't have any cell phones as we know them.

Some people did have car phones back then. Most were mounted on the hump between the front seats. And if you were very special, you had a car phone in a bag! It was a leather bag that carried the car phone, antenna, and the apparatus to make it work. Remember those?

Remember TV shows in the '70s had people driving around with car phones in L.A. I distinctly remember Columbo using one. (For you young'uns, he was a cool detective on TV in the '70s and early '80s.)

One special memory that I have is from 1986, when my family flew us out to visit our "rich" uncle in California. He had a house in Orange County, Ca. He was forever telling us to come and see him. We finally saved up and did. I was in college by then, and had just declared a major: finance. Naturally, he made small talk about it, and talked about investment strategies.

He said, "I have one word for you: cellular. That is going to be the next big thing: cellular phones. You should invest in cellular phones. It's going to take off."

I said I knew why he would say that, and that it would probably be big in Los Angeles, but it would be expensive for the infrastructure to make it work nationwide -- and, I said, "I could never see it taking off in Virginia!"

Famous last words! Hire a college student while they still know everything! :)

Can you imagine how much a $100 investment in 1986 in a cellular company would be worth today? I would be rich. It might even be enough to pay for a day a the Magic Kingdom, and maybe even with a character breakfast!

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
He said, "I have one word for you: cellular.

plastics.gif

You're spot on though - imagine the items in the last 20 years that most people missed coming around the corner. Staggering amount of money to have been made.

CanadianGordon

I'm thrilled they're refurbishing the ride and giving it some TLC. Loved riding it when I went last year. Hope to ride it again the next time I go. Though it's funny that VR is now becoming a major thing when they created it it wasn't something at all that anyone thought would work.
Would love to see Grandma get more animated and the "video game" get updated..

KikoKea

I liked the pumpkin on the table better, but I'm happy for any love they give CoP! The most disappointed DH and I have ever been on a trip to WDW was when CoP was shut down. Hurt worse than missing the Pirates refurb last year by one day.

Goofyernmost

Some people did have car phones back then. Most were mounted on the hump between the front seats. And if you were very special, you had a car phone in a bag! It was a leather bag that carried the car phone, antenna, and the apparatus to make it work. Remember those?
Yes, I remember... I was one of those people with the leather bag phone sitting on the drive shaft hump in the car. There were so many dead spots along the way that you might as well have just stuck your head out the window and yelled. But, they were cool when they did work.

raymusiccity

I'm obsessed with the paint. The best part of the Tomorrowland aesthetic is the nighttime look with all the different colored lights. If there's a way to bring that into the daytime look they'd knock it out of the park.

This is from an earlier post, but, THIS is how you knock it out of the park. (Just throw some Osborne Light technology up there and boom!)

image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom