Premium Member
Original Poster
LATEST UPDATES
Details emerge on operational impacts during Caribbean Beach Resort renovations
Disney confirms Caribbean Beach Resort redevelopment
Plans filed for expansion at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
PHOTOS - Height balloon test spotted at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

PREVIOUSLY

There have been some indications recently that a CBR expansion was on the way and now we have confirmation. A permit was filed today with the South Florida Water Management District for Project 88 at Caribbean Beach.

I have marked in red on this plan the locations of 7 new buildings including what I assume will be a multi-level main building which will replace some of the existing buildings. The expansion pad in the lower right will also get one large building but will mostly be taken up by a new storm water retention pond. It also looks like there will be a re-alignment of Cherlonia Parkway where it meets Buena Vista Drive so it no long lines up with Backstage Lane. The second drawing shows the outlines of the work areas.

upload_2017-1-18_10-7-27.png

upload_2017-1-18_10-9-23.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon81uk

I would assume this is mainly to consolidate the resort and remove the current unusual set-up of having check-in away from the main restaurant and services. It doesn't look like any of the new buildings Dan circled are big enough for accommodations.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I would assume this is mainly to consolidate the resort and remove the current unusual set-up of having check-in away from the main restaurant and services. It doesn't look like any of the new buildings Dan circled are big enough for accommodations.

If the largest building I marked is multi-story them it could contain rooms. There have been reports recently of height balloons in this area which would indicate a tall building.

PREMiERdrum

The large, multi-angle building marked over top of what is now known the Barbados village very much looks to be a guestroom building. I'd wager that those guessing a new DVC tower are correct.

seascape

If the largest building I marked is multi-story them it could contain rooms. There have been reports recently of height balloons in this area which would indicate a tall building.
The plans as described don't look big enough for a DVC addition here. On the other had it does fit in with Iger's statement of more hotel rooms being added. I still hold out hope for regular room additions to both CBR and Coronado and the big DVC resort being at River Country. WDW needs several thousand more rooms before 2021.

P_Radden

Looking closer at the plans it appears that all the guest buildings I have marked below will be going away.

View attachment 184920
Can anyone say if that area was an older section of the resort? Maybe like the first phase that was built? I have never stayed there and don't know much about CBR, but I am curious as to why they would remove all those buildings? Or maybe the new building going in to the left of that will be a tower? But even then there will be a large empty area there where the old buildings stood...

Jahona

Looking closer at the plans it appears that all the guest buildings I have marked below will be going away.

View attachment 184920

That's a large swath of rooms going away. The proposed plan for the large one building doesn't seem to justify the removal of that many rooms. This should be an interesting development. It's been a while since one of the moderates has been the target of a lot of changes.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The plans as described don't look big enough for a DVC addition here. On the other had it does fit in with Iger's statement of more hotel rooms being added. I still hold out hope for regular room additions to both CBR and Coronado and the big DVC resort being at River Country. WDW needs several thousand more rooms before 2021.

After doing a quick an rough estimate the new building seems to have about the same size foot print as the parts of either the Swan or Dolphin that hold the guest rooms. So this could easily add a 1000 rooms if it's tall enough.

FerretAfros

Regarding the realignment of Chelonia Pkwy, here's an overlay of the plans for the Buena Vista Dr modifications, courtesy of @TimeTrip in the thread about that location. Buena Vista Dr will be widened to the south, aligning with the new bridge across the canal on the other side of the interchange:
overlay.jpg

With the offset from Backstage Ln and the proximity of the new interchange, it wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to eliminate the signal at that location. It could still be right turn-only onto Chelonia Pkwy, essentially a T-intersection on a divided highway (same for Backstage Ln on the other side) while allowing all the EB/WB through-traffic to flow freely. There would still be signals at the CBR entrance and on the east side of Epcot Center Blvd, at the existing Bonnet Creek Pkwy location and at the base of the new ramp from NB Epcot Center Blvd

Chelonia Pkwy only services the Bonnet Creek properties, which I believe is outside the RCID limits. Obviously they have to accommodate all that traffic somehow, though they're not obligated to make it especially easy to access.

Mike730

View attachment 184920
Looooots of parking is my guess.

Looks like they're shrinking the two current ponds near the check-in and adding a new one to the north. All that open land directly in front of the new building....

edit: I'm also gonna wager that building on the expansion pad is backstage.

Mike730

upload_2017-1-18_10-7-27-png.184911

Pond E3 (above the new building in this picture) has a peculiar shape, like its meant to go around something.

Your options now are:
-New building
-Close to food building
-Trinidad South

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
There have been some indications recently that a CBR expansion was on the way and now we have confirmation. A permit was filed today with the South Florida Water Management District for Project 88 at Caribbean Beach.

I have marked in red on this plan the locations of 7 new buildings including what I assume will be a multi-level main building which will replace some of the existing buildings. The expansion pad in the lower right will also get one large building but will mostly be taken up by a new storm water retention pond. It also looks like there will be a re-alignment of Cherlonia Parkway where it meets Buena Vista Drive so it no long lines up with Backstage Lane. The second drawing shows the outlines of the work areas.

View attachment 184911

View attachment 184912
Great spot, thanks for posting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom