Breaking News: Space Mountain Rehab

New track? Yes. New support system? Debatable. New cars and audio? Depends who you ask.

It wouldn't surprise me if they realize the supports are in worse shape then they thought once they start putting the new track in. Maybe they will end up having to put in new supports. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what happened with Disneyland's Space Mountain? :shrug:

Lee

Adventurer
It wouldn't surprise me if they realize the supports are in worse shape then they thought once they start putting the new track in. Maybe they will end up having to put in new supports. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what happened with Disneyland's Space Mountain? :shrug:
Nope, Disneyland's was always planned to be a full gut and rebuild. Likewise, at MK, they have crawled all over that mountain and know full well what shape it's in, and what it needs.

With MK's, it's been hard to put it all together. For a while there, they were seriously thinking of only replacing certain segments of the track (if that much). This opened up the possibility of just retrofitting the existing support structure.
However, with the recent information about a full track replacement, I would seem logical that they would replace the suppert structure as well. I imagine that putting all new track onto those rickety, flimsy 1975 supports would not be a good idea.
Based on my info...my money's on a full track/support replacement...at least for today...

DisneyMusician2

See, I go to work for a couple of hours, and miss all the excitement....can't wait for this to be up and running. Now I'm just hoping that it might be back up by my April 2010 trip...

Or at least see some TTA action. It is absolutely my biggest guilty pleasure in the park.

Here's to something done right (hopefully!)!:wave:

brucie

Nope, Disneyland's was always planned to be a full gut and rebuild. Likewise, at MK, they have crawled all over that mountain and know full well what shape it's in, and what it needs.

With MK's, it's been hard to put it all together. For a while there, they were seriously thinking of only replacing certain segments of the track (if that much). This opened up the possibility of just retrofitting the existing support structure.
However, with the recent information about a full track replacement, I would seem logical that they would replace the suppert structure as well. I imagine that putting all new track onto those rickety, flimsy 1975 supports would not be a good idea.
Based on my info...my money's on a full track/support replacement...at least for today...

Some reliable info...... I hope:sohappy:

WDW1974

I would agree. I doubt very much those old supports (no matter what work is done) are going to be able to last another 30 years with new track and, very likely (according to an email I got tonight ... thank you!) new cars.

From just a common sense standpoint it would seem to be a disaster in the making.

WDW1974

You know, Paris has some music they're not using anymore... :lookaroun

-Rob

Yeah ... except just like the original DL soundtrack it was made specifically and synchronized to the ride track in DLP.

It wouldn't work here in FLA.

They probably could get away with using the DL/HKDL sound, which I enjoy, but that's just the whole problem with WDW management -- it's always about what they can get away with instead of exceeding guests expectations.

Thanks for the info. It makes more sense that they would replace the supports. Since their working on the track they might as well finish up replacing what may need to be fixed sooner or later down the road. Imagine spending all that time replacing the track only to realize that the supports can't handle the stress much longer. That just means another refurbishment which could waste a lot of time and money.

Disneyfanman

I am betting on a full replacement, and for the project to grow as it moves along. I'm sure Disney dreams of a short re-do, and to have it back by Christmas, etc but reality sets in. I'm sure they know every inch of the current structure and the shape it's in and what it will cost part by part. I'm sure that there have been endless cost reports and power-point decks, and everything else, but at the end of the day this is a roller coaster, the top attraction in the park, and one that they cannot short change. Even if they begin with a smaller scope I bet it grows during the project. I predict that this one will amaze when it's all done. The last thing that Disney needs is a disappointing attraction to emerge just as IOA is gearing up for Harry Potter. They won't let that happen, believe me. If there is an attraction that defines the Magic Kingdom for may folks, it's Space Mountain.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Yeah ... except just like the original DL soundtrack it was made specifically and synchronized to the ride track in DLP.

It wouldn't work here in FLA.

They probably could get away with using the DL/HKDL sound, which I enjoy, but that's just the whole problem with WDW management -- it's always about what they can get away with instead of exceeding guests expectations.

They really messed up DLP's Space Mountain with the whole "Mission 2" thing. The original ride was designed to be old world victorian and based on the book "From the earth to the moon" by Jules Verne. It was richly themed and fit beautifully in discoveryland.

For "Mission 2" it seems the new imagineers (aka the dumbass brigade) didn't even bother to research DLP's Space Mountain and instead started changing the scenes using concepts from modern science fiction and our modern ideas about space travel. They also added a much "hipper" modern techno rave soundtrack.

It kind of makes me mad because it shows a lack of care or consideration was given when they retooled it. I am all for refreshing the show and replacing old with new but why didn't they just utilize modern tech to freshen up the victorian elements instead of adding more modern concepts. Now the show is pretty half-assed.

jt04

Original Poster
I am betting on a full replacement, and for the project to grow as it moves along. I'm sure Disney dreams of a short re-do, and to have it back by Christmas, etc but reality sets in. I'm sure they know every inch of the current structure and the shape it's in and what it will cost part by part. I'm sure that there have been endless cost reports and power-point decks, and everything else, but at the end of the day this is a roller coaster, the top attraction in the park, and one that they cannot short change. Even if they begin with a smaller scope I bet it grows during the project. I predict that this one will amaze when it's all done. The last thing that Disney needs is a disappointing attraction to emerge just as IOA is gearing up for Harry Potter. They won't let that happen, believe me. If there is an attraction that defines the Magic Kingdom for may folks, it's Space Mountain.

I agree but not only do I think it is the defining attraction at the MK but WDW and at least for now, the defining attraction for all Disney parks. If they had done a poor job on the MK's SM it would have been the greatest blunder ever at a Disney Park even surpassing the mistakes made originally at DCA. It is a great relief to know they are probably going to do this right.

Just my 2 cents.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For "Mission 2" it seems the new imagineers (aka the dumbass brigade) didn't even bother to research DLP's Space Mountain and instead started changing the scenes using concepts from modern science fiction and our modern ideas about space travel. They also added a much "hipper" modern techno rave soundtrack.
I have to disagree. Both M1 and M2 were and are awesome concepts, but the queue of Mission 2 specifically displays the same Baltimore Gun Club and the work they did to realign and improve the cannon since they got bored of going to the moon and fancied seeing a supernova instead.

WDW1974

I have to disagree. Both M1 and M2 were and are awesome concepts, but the queue of Mission 2 specifically displays the same Baltimore Gun Club and the work they did to realign and improve the cannon since they got bored of going to the moon and fancied seeing a supernova instead.

Never got to experience the original version, but wish I did ... most friends have said it was much better than the current one and I tend to believe that.

Mission 2 is pretty damn kewl too, though. The fact you can get a brain bleed from riding it takes away a lot of the enjoyment, though.

This is one ride that needs a total track replacement at age 14.

Lee

Adventurer
In Paris' case, new trains/restraints would mostly do the job.
Vekoma has some new trains that are supposed to greatly reduce the head-bang that their coasters get after a few years.
Odd how RnRC is holding up so well.

Pete C

I would love to get the soundtrack from DL...that music is AWESOME, specifically the build-up to the top of the lift and entering the dome of stars. It is incredibly dramatic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom