Breaking News: Space Mountain Rehab

Mr.EPCOT

:hurl:poor movie writing at it's finest in the last 2 Pirates movies.

I absolutely love all three movies. If push comes to shove, I think I would have to go with At Worlds' End as my very favorite. It has a very whirlwind plot, and I think that's what turns some people off of it. And it has an absolutely BEAUTIFUL score, Hans Zimmer captures the ethereal strangeness of their journey beyond perfectly, and he nailed the epic love theme for Will and Elizabeth.

And Dead Man's Chest was a blast! These are popcorn movies, just simply to have fun! Are you going to expect deep writing in a movie where you have a action sequences like when Jack is running around with a pole tied to him and miraculously survives a fall off a cliff like that?

:hurl:poor movie writing at it's finest in the last 2 Pirates movies.

Yes writing was very poor but a good score and good characters can sometimes save a bad plot. The movies may not be "good" in my opinion but I still can watch them over and over again.

Wow this thread is way off topic! we go from Space Mountain, to Harry Potter, to Willy Wonka, and now the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. :ROFLOL:

wolf359

One of my favorite things about Space Mountain is the quirky charm of the vintage 1975 control rooms with the not-so-animated-animatronic launch techs and astronauts on the lift hill. Yet I'm sure that improving and updating those VERY cheesy diaramas is pretty high on the list of things to improve. Still, I hope they choose to update and "plus" those elements as opposed to simply removing them.

Now I realize adding more advanced animatronics in their place seems a bit of a waste, I'm just afraid they'll save the money by adding video screen "windows" instead.

One of my favorite things about Space Mountain is the quirky charm of the vintage 1975 control rooms with the not-so-animated-animatronic launch techs and astronauts on the lift hill. Yet I'm sure that improving and updating those VERY cheesy diaramas is pretty high on the list of things to improve. Still, I hope they choose to update and "plus" those elements as opposed to simply removing them.

Now I realize adding more advanced animatronics in their place seems a bit of a waste, I'm just afraid they'll save the money by adding video screen "windows" instead.

I wish they would have the lift hill enclosed like on Disneyland's Space Mountain. I think it would be better in my opinion. I don't know what they would do about TTA for that part though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wish they would have the lift hill enclosed like on Disneyland's Space Mountain..
That`d be a waste of a fantastic show space. That`s also why Orlando still has the long strobe tunnels. There are plans - last time I checked still in place - for some upgrades to this showscene.

Jasonflz

Here is what I personally hope they do with the SM refurb:

-update the entrance lobby and the outside entrance, new paint, lighting, and signage

-add new effects to the space windows, star tunnel and zig zag corridor

-create a new warning video to replace the current one

-enclose the loading area to the point where you can see the ride or just enclose it completely and re-do the "space station"

-fix the lauch room as to where you don't see the strobe tunnel while waiting

-update the spaceship with new animatronic robots and mabe a new paint job to resemble DL's ship

-replace the track but keep the current layout

-add new effects and change the finale

-completely overhaul the unload station and add something appealingly new to it, give it a spacey feel

-upgrade the post show area so you can see it from the TTA, add new show scenes in it

-rehab the TTA: repaint some of the older areas, add some new scenes to look at while in a building but keeping the older scenes intact, open up the enclosed windows to view BLSRS, maybe add some new narration

If they could accomplish all of this in 7+ months I would be a happy camper.:D

imagineer boy

One thing I wish they'd do is change the premise. They never make it clear if you're on a space port on earth and launching into space, or suddenly you're on a space station in space and launching from there. I hope they work with the first one, because the second one doesn't really make sense from a logistical point, like you're walking around in city of the future then suddenly you're in a space station in space.

As for the main lift, I think they shoud keep it the same, but enlose the roof, and add star effects in the cieling so that light doesn't leak out into the ride.

jt04

Original Poster
One thing I wish they'd do is change the premise. They never make it clear if you're on a space port on earth and launching into space, or suddenly you're on a space station in space and launching from there. I hope they work with the first one, because the second one doesn't really make sense from a logistical point, like you're walking around in city of the future then suddenly you're in a space station in space.

As for the main lift, I think they shoud keep it the same, but enlose the roof, and add star effects in the cieling so that light doesn't leak out into the ride.

Maybe the lift hill could be themed as a "space elevator".....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/10/02/space.elevator/index.html

Just a thought. This storyline would allow the theme to exactly match the rides name.

SirGoofy

These are popcorn movies, just simply to have fun! Are you going to expect deep writing in a movie where you have a action sequences like when Jack is running around with a pole tied to him and miraculously survives a fall off a cliff like that?[/SIZE][/FONT]

The first one was fantastically put together, and is one of my favorites of all time. And then, of course, after it was successful, they just had to make a sequel, and its like they had no idea where to go with it. They completely changed Elizabeth's character, and the movies became so ridiculous with the backstabbing every 5 minutes.

Anyway, I'm hoping to see some updates to the lift hill sequence. Maybe some AAs?

EpcotServo

I absolutely love all three movies. If push comes to shove, I think I would have to go with At Worlds' End as my very favorite. It has a very whirlwind plot, and I think that's what turns some people off of it. And it has an absolutely BEAUTIFUL score, Hans Zimmer captures the ethereal strangeness of their journey beyond perfectly, and he nailed the epic love theme for Will and Elizabeth.

I LOVE Back to the Future Part 3! :D Let's talk about that!

:sohappy:

And while the Films are mostly Indiana-Jones-Style, the final two Pirates films DO have a very deep mythological Eastern-styled backstory and overall dramatic tone, but the problem with that is that we're in the west where if there's too much fantasy it hurts some people's poor little brains and they get confused and can't follow what's going on.
:lol:

Maybe the lift hill could be themed as a "space elevator".....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/10/02/space.elevator/index.html

Just a thought. This storyline would allow the theme to exactly match the rides name.

That is SO "Journeys in Space"

Orbital Elevator Discussions? I Approve!
:D:

You know how it is....

Disney gets Indiana Jones, Universal gets Spiderman...

Disney gets interaction, UNIVERSAL gets interaction...

Disney gets Fireworks, universal gets hit by the fireworks...

Have u ever wondered if someone from Universal is on these boards getting ideas?
I KNOW OFF-TOPIC!

EpcotServo

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

And now for something completely different...
picture.php

Hot4Hudgens

I know I'm a little late, but I haven't been around. This is great news - exciting news. I'm glad I'll be back in the parks just a few days before it closes, so I'll have a chance for my proper goodbye to SM...and then we play the waiting game.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom