Bracketology: Imagineer Edition

LittleGiants16

Original Poster
Hey guys!

So, since there's not a whole lot of time left until the inaugural ICS Elite Eight, I'm going to be doing a little bit of bracketology in advance of the tourney. Just think of me as this board's own Joe Lunardi. So, I understand that the field isn't entirely sent yet, but I'm going to try and go through matchup by matchup and profile the competitors. This is EIPN (Entertainment and Imagineering Programming Network) and welcome to the show.

You'll see my first post later tonight.

LG

jdmdisney99

I clicked this thread hoping to read about the science of brakes!

Might want to edit that title before the spelling police get here. ;)
You're too late!
82868143v13_400x400_Front.jpg

:p

LittleGiants16

Original Poster
So guys, lets take a look at the bracket as I think it will come down. I think your first round matchups will be:

#1 @jdmdisney99 vs. #8 @tcool
#2 @RMichael21 vs. #7 @Matt7187
#3 @englanddg vs. #6 @IDInstitute
#4 @Voxel vs. #5 @MonorailRed

For this first installment, I want to look at the 2/7 game between @RMichael21 and @Matt7187.

@RMichael21 - We've really got some interesting stuff here. It's a little strange to me to see @RMichael21 so high up the seeding. Being a relative newcomer, I would have expected him to be at most the four and probably a low seed, but that's the beauty of the points system. It allows the new guys and gals to jump right in and, if they have a good year, get a favorable matchup in the first round.
As such, I'd definitely say that @RMichael21 has had a good year. He won the WedCar race and made it to the top-five of Sorcerer's Apprentice, going went out to two of the strongest members of the boards. This guy is the real deal. He's a great idea guy, does well with the details, and has definitely grown over the past year.
While he does have his strengths, he's not without his weaknesses. Artwork: maybe not this guy's strength. Certainly he's not weak in this department, but he's not Red. Also, the guy is a little unrealistic from time to time, something that can hurt him depending on the judge. But, all in all, @RMichael21 is more than deserving of his second seeding and has quickly become one of the strongest members of the board.

@Matt7187 - It's been a bit of a long summer for Matt. He went from hosting the WedCar race to an early (by his standards) exit from SA. But, one bad year does not indicate a lack of talent. Just a year ago, he finished in second in SA and, at the time, was arguably the best talent on the boards. I know Red won, and she's stellar, but I always have thought matt may have been the most talented guy a year ago. He was like a young power pitcher; he was raw, but you could see it within him.
As I said, Matt is a talent. He's the definition of a concept guy; someone who can churn out ideas at the drop of a hat. Usually, they're really strong concepts as well. But, sometimes the execution isn't there for the guy. He's always got the idea, but maybe not the certainty to entirely flesh it out. As I said, he's still raw, but he's far more developed now than he was when he made his run in the first SA.
With all this being said, Matt has been a little off this year. He was off his game the whole time during SA and went out long before I ever would have expected. I'm not sure what it is for the guy; maybe real world stuff has put a pinch on his imagineering stuff. Whatever it is, he'll need to get it figured out quick in order to advance in the Elite Eight.

The Matchup - This is tough for me. I've always been a big fan of Matt as an imagineer, but rmichael has maybe had the best year of anyone around. This matchup is one of two pretty raw talents. Neither guy is a super great artist, but both are passable. Both have developed the detail side of their games since we first saw them come onto the board. I think this matchup is going to come down to Matt's preparedness. If he can come in with the same level of readiness and fervor that he did last year, I think we'll have a tight one on our hands. If not, I think this one will be chalk.

Prediction - @RMichael21

Come back tomorrow to get my outlook for another match!

RMichael21

So guys, lets take a look at the bracket as I think it will come down. I think your first round matchups will be:

For this first installment, I want to look at the 2/7 game between @RMichael21 and @Matt7187.

@RMichael21 - We've really got some interesting stuff here. It's a little strange to me to see @RMichael21 so high up the seeding. Being a relative newcomer, I would have expected him to be at most the four and probably a low seed, but that's the beauty of the points system. It allows the new guys and gals to jump right in and, if they have a good year, get a favorable matchup in the first round.
As such, I'd definitely say that @RMichael21 has had a good year. He won the WedCar race and made it to the top-five of Sorcerer's Apprentice, going went out to two of the strongest members of the boards. This guy is the real deal. He's a great idea guy, does well with the details, and has definitely grown over the past year.
While he does have his strengths, he's not without his weaknesses. Artwork: maybe not this guy's strength. Certainly he's not weak in this department, but he's not Red. Also, the guy is a little unrealistic from time to time, something that can hurt him depending on the judge. But, all in all, @RMichael21 is more than deserving of his second seeding and has quickly become one of the strongest members of the board.

@Matt7187 - It's been a bit of a long summer for Matt. He went from hosting the WedCar race to an early (by his standards) exit from SA. But, one bad year does not indicate a lack of talent. Just a year ago, he finished in second in SA and, at the time, was arguably the best talent on the boards. I know Red won, and she's stellar, but I always have thought matt may have been the most talented guy a year ago. He was like a young power pitcher; he was raw, but you could see it within him.
As I said, Matt is a talent. He's the definition of a concept guy; someone who can churn out ideas at the drop of a hat. Usually, they're really strong concepts as well. But, sometimes the execution isn't there for the guy. He's always got the idea, but maybe not the certainty to entirely flesh it out. As I said, he's still raw, but he's far more developed now than he was when he made his run in the first SA.
With all this being said, Matt has been a little off this year. He was off his game the whole time during SA and went out long before I ever would have expected. I'm not sure what it is for the guy; maybe real world stuff has put a pinch on his imagineering stuff. Whatever it is, he'll need to get it figured out quick in order to advance in the Elite Eight.

The Matchup - This is tough for me. I've always been a big fan of Matt as an imagineer, but rmichael has maybe had the best year of anyone around. This matchup is one of two pretty raw talents. Neither guy is a super great artist, but both are passable. Both have developed the detail side of their games since we first saw them come onto the board. I think this matchup is going to come down to Matt's preparedness. If he can come in with the same level of readiness and fervor that he did last year, I think we'll have a tight one on our hands. If not, I think this one will be chalk.

Prediction - @RMichael21

Wow! Thanks @LittleGiants16 ! I'll take both the strengths and weaknesses as a compliment. :) And if I do go up against Matt, let's not let this thread decide anything. We'll let the best Imagineer win! ;)

Matt7187

Prediction - @RMichael21

I could not have come up with a better description for myself. I seem to lack on execution, but I am going to work on it. Watch out @RMichael21...

;)

LittleGiants16

Original Poster
Okay guys, I'm back. The real world got in the way of my analysis, but I'm here for another installment.

Tonight, let's take a look at the #1 @jdmdisney99 vs. #8 @tcool matchup.

@jdmdisney99 - He's our de facto leader. Everyone knows that. He's fresh off another more than successful season of SA and has been around these boards longer than most. He got the one seed in the tournament by virtue of his hosting SA (yep, you get points for hosting) and his third place finish in WedCar.
It's been a while since we've seen @jdmdisney99 on the competition stage, but when he plays he tends to finish high on the leaderboards. He won the first season of Master of the Parks, took the title in Red's Around the World in Thirty Days, and finished second in WED's Think Different Challenge. I don't think I need to say much more, this guy is good. Whether it's artwork, concepts, details, writing, or the completion aspect, he can do it all. He's the imagineering version of a five tool player.
But, to tell you all the truth, I have more questions about him than anyone else in the field. As I said, it's been a while since he's really had to flex his imagineering muscles in a meaningful way. He's been out of the game for nearly a year, and hasn't competed much since really the beginning of 2013. Given, it's been a bit of a slow year around the boards, but still, it'll be interesting to see how the layoff will affect the kid.

@tcool - I'll be upfront and honest with everyone, I don't know quite what to make of @tcool. He made a respectable showing in SA this year, but I don't have much else to go off of. He seemed to be a fair competitor and someone who has a chance, but I really don't know what to say.
In all honesty, @tcool may be the ultimate wildcard in this tournament. No one, myself included, really knows what to make of him. Obviously he's a solid imagineer, if he wasn't he wouldn't have made the field, but if he good enough to advance? Or maybe he's just waiting for the right prompt to tattoo one over the left field fence and knock out the one seed. That's part of what I love about @tcool: I have no idea what to expect out of him, and neither does anyone else for that matter.

The Matchup - This one is weird for me. @jdmdisney99 has been out of the game for a while and I think that @tcool is THE wildcard of the tournament. If the latter imagineer gets the right prompt, or the former gets the wrong on, we may very well have an upset on our hands. That's part of what makes this matchup intriguing. With that being said, I really don't see @jdmdisney99 going down this early. For my money, with to without the time off, he's the best on the boards. Just like MJ in the Finals, Brady in the Superbowl, or Reggie Jackson in the World Series, the best bring their A games when it matters most. I'm expecting the same out of @jdmdisney99. Count this one up as a chalk win.

Prediction - @jdmdisney99

Come back tomorrow for another matchup breakdown.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom