Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974, when an expenditure is approved, how final is it really? It seems like most of what I've read on this site involves cuts to the original planned budget for various lands and attractions. Avatar going from three to two attractions, for example. Everyone talks about what almost was. But is that typically from people incorrectly estimating/reporting the original budget or because it has, due to the BoD's changing sentiment, been revised downward?

I ask because of a lingering feeling of pessimism. If the approved plans aren't going to be complete until 2021, then any economic downturn between now and then will probably alter them. And I don't like the odds of maintaining a strong economy for the next six years. Isn't that why the Monsters Inc door coaster was scrapped after ~2008, due to the economy?

Once a budget is allotted the money is there. Things do still get cut due to overspending and unanticipated costs as well. Very, very rarely do budgets get pushed up (RSRs at DCA got pushed way up due to John Lasseter, which made it the priciest theme park attraction ever built anywhere ... oh, he also had money added to the Nemo Subs redo at DL as well. On a park basis, TDS took funds that some -- talk to Eddie Sotto -- had earmarked for a new Tomorrowland at TDL and reallocated them.

But the economy, which should be in free fall (someone will have to explain what talking heads mean as a 'Post Wages' economy because I think it means that if you can't find a job or career that you just live off your wits like a zombie apocalypse or go on a shooting spree ... not really sure!) already since jobs are NEVER replaced in our alleged 'recoveries', won't impact this project. Once the money is allocated, it's a done deal (I keep saying that here so people don't say I always bear bad news!)

Indeed, I've been told that if the BoD waited just another 4-6 months to approve the DCA Extreme Makeover that it would NEVER have been approved based on our economy tanking and taking the rest of the world along for the E-Ticket ride!

Oh, and since you brought up the Monsters Coaster, I have heard nothing to indicate it being likely for the park. Part of me thinks it will be one of those attractions that are talked about for decades (see: WRE) that never happened.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I thought Staggs visited DL often with his family? Not surprised he's walking around the parks at WDW.

He was walking to be SEEN. And Tweeted.

This is a time when Disney thinks (rightly, I guess) it can use the interest this thread spreads around the fan community to focus people on a positive.

They may not be willing to tell you where those billions will be spent, but they want you to know that (maybe just in this one tiny 'wittle case) the Spirit knows what he's talking about, so (while he'll never be right again and he's evil and you should hate him) this time you should listen to him because it suits our agenda as well.

ParentsOf4

I think we need to summon both @PhotoDave219 and @ParentsOf4 with their graphs again.
We will discuss universal in the appropriate thread.

This isnt it.
Those of us closer to the end than the beginning recall a time when something exciting was constantly happening at WDW.

For those of you younger in years, this might very well be the first truly exciting WDW project of your adult lives.

Let's hope this is your chance to experience a little bit of what the 1980s & 1990s were like at WDW.

Enjoy it. Revel in it. :)

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Where are people getting the $2 billion number? Was that actually mentioned somewhere as a legit rumor or is it just wishful thinking?

All I could find was a vague comment from WDW1974 saying the final budget might end up being more than DCA 2.0, but that isn't a good reason to assume it's as high as $2B.

They are spending BILLIONS. I can't say that all of it will be in one park and I absolutely do not believe this to be the case. But the Disney-MGM Studios will see a majority of the funds.

ToTBellHop

Those of us closer to the end than the beginning recall a time when something exciting was constantly happening at WDW.

For those of you younger in years, this might very well be the first truly exciting WDW project of your adult lives.

Let's hope this is your chance to experience a little bit of what the 1980s were like at WDW.

Indeed. Meanwhile someone will stop by in three posts to b***h about Epcot. But, we are entering the most exciting 10 years at Walt Disney World since the mid-90s. I am thrilled for my kids. They'll get to grow up with the kind of excitement at WDW that I grew up with.

PhotoDave219

Let's hope this is your chance to experience a little bit of what the 1980s were like at WDW.

Now is the time.

Now is the best time.

Now is the best time of our lives.

:D

I'm gonna enjoy it.... It's like the happiest Celebration on Earth announcement.... But 100x better.

Progress.City

I've met one billionaire and a couple possible future billionaires and met my fair share of other wealthy folks. In my experience they come in a variety of types, like anyone else. Wealth can make people become out of touch for sure, but I was always surprised how normal they are in the sense that they're human and stumble over their words, make dumb jokes, and otherwise act like everyone else you've ever met. That's why guys like Iger will never change. They just are who they already are. Good or bad.
That's 100% correct. They are no different than you and I. Steve Jobs was especially conscious of this, and never moved into a bigger house, or changed the way he dressed.

I've watched my aunt (mom's sister), as I grew up, live in a dormatory, going to medical school, got married to someone also studying to become a doctor, graduate, lived in a townhouse apartment for a while, had two kids and moved to a small house, had another kid and moved again to a big house in Boca Raton. Both her and my uncle had their own medical practices. My uncle had this idea of giving his patients really good service, with practically no waiting and gourmet food in the waiting room. Next thing you know, he opened offices in every major U.S. city. When he retired, he sold his practice to P&G for something like $50 million!

That didn't change their lifestyle. They put their oldest daughter through Harvard. They adapted two kids from China. Their oldest daughter, now graduated and living in NYC, is friends with a well-known billionaire. They go to the movies, like every "normal" person does. They don't have any entourages following them. They live completely normal lives, and go through the same personal relationship dramas we all go through...

WDW1974

Original Poster
On the timing of announcements... a friend of mine just pointed out that Marvel Studios hasn't booked the main hall at Comic-Con this year. Normally they do a big presentation, and with the new Spider-Man you would have thought the coming together of the Civil War cast would have been the big deal.

So if it's not happening at Comic-Con, that almost certainly means D23 is where it's at. So it seems Disney is looking to push their convention as being much more than just a Disneyana-type fan event, but a rival, competing event on Comic-Con's turf and scale. If that's the case, it makes sense that they would want to save any decent park announcements for then too.

Marvel will not have a presence at Comic Con this year. They blame the timing with the opening of Ant Man and the filming of whatever they are calling the next Captain America film (Cap and the Search For the MAGICal Gall Stones?)

Of course the last time they skipped out was ... 2011 ... another D23 Expo year.

WDW1974

Original Poster
They did that in 2013 at the last D23 too, so nothing new. A lot of the big studios pulled out of comic con this year.

Really? Interesting. I read (and just posted) that they last skipped it in 2011. But one might say Marvel is looking to only use the San Diego event when Disney isn't holding one of its own if they skip every year D23 happens.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've met one billionaire and a couple possible future billionaires and met my fair share of other wealthy folks. In my experience they come in a variety of types, like anyone else. Wealth can make people become out of touch for sure, but I was always surprised how normal they are in the sense that they're human and stumble over their words, make dumb jokes, and otherwise act like everyone else you've ever met. That's why guys like Iger will never change. They just are who they already are. Good or bad.

Yep. Although Iger isn't a billionaire. I am not sure he'll even hit the threshold when he leaves Disney.
But he still has enough money to dress his wife better.

WDW1974

Original Poster
No. They're just not interested in corporate affairs.

I don't believe that. Not when they crow online when an exec is spotted somewhere. You won't convince me that Disney finally financing their beloved Star Wars Land as well as some other major developments isn't what they care about. Nope ... they're likely being passive aggressive a-holes. Not like anyone here ever!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I posted this before I read that it was a done deal. I speed read through this morning to catch up.

Honestly I have no clue who you are. I've not been on these boards all that long or followed the spirit threads. I've only heard your name used in other threads as someone with knowledge.

That's fine. You aren't required to know who I am. (Just stay away from the bullies on the playground who are out to hurt my BRAND!)

All you need to know is my information is generally second to none, I only speculate when people ask for opinions and I don't tolerate fools well (oh, and I also have no tech savvy, never have owned an Apple product and am dating a high level German official!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Damn voice to text.

C'mon, you have to admit that was a great typo!!! :)

I know him personally. I consider him a friend. I can say that his information is accurate and vetted before it's put out. He has sources, connections and isn't lying when he name drops.

Thanks for the kind words and right back at you. I'd even buy the first round if you were here ... and since my bar is dry I think I'll be having a Dr. Pepper sans any Devil Juice!!!:devilish::cry::mad:

PhotoDave219

C'mon, you have to admit that was a great typo!!! :)

Thanks for the kind words and right back at you. I'd even buy the first round if you were here ... and since my bar is dry I think I'll be having a Dr. Pepper sans any Devil Juice!!!:devilish::cry::mad:

I actually think you'd enjoy Trader Sams at the Poly... even if they pour a little lighter than I am accustomed to.

Because for the first time in forever, we actually have something to drink to here at WDW.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I always enjoy reposting quotes like these, as they are both from extremely reliable sources. And yes I know that things change, but if we can't rely on faux 1%ers and hillbillies, who can we rely on?

Truer words, my friend ... truer words.

BTW, I should add that @Lee and I share many things (love for his dear Mrs. and showtunes and zombies being only three!), but we don't share sources. Hell, I'm sorta convinced that a few people who could share with me opt to share with him instead because they view him as a kinder, gentler person. Not tru...OK, yeah, it is!

The point being, though, is that if we're both saying the same thing then we are getting this from multiple individual sources, so the info is damn good. It's not from one person with an agenda.

PhotoDave219

Truer words, my friend ... truer words.

BTW, I should add that @Lee and I share many things (love for his dear Mrs. and showtunes and zombies being only three!), but we don't share sources. Hell, I'm sorta convinced that a few people who could share with me opt to share with him instead because they view him as a kinder, gentler person. Not tru...OK, yeah, it is!

The point being, though, is that if we're both saying the same thing then we are getting this from multiple individual sources, so the info is damn good. It's not from one person with an agenda.

And I'm getting my stuff from people independent of you two. SPeaking of which, There's a PM you should see....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom