Blog Flume - What should Disney do with EPCOT

Figments Friend

I would say my top four * must fixes * at EPCOT currently would be :

4. - Finish/Plus the descent in SSE...make it more then just watching tv in the dark.

3. - Re-imagineer UoE Pavillion...a crime this sits as is when energy concerns/needs of today are a timely topic.

2. - Remove the LaL *gravestones* at the entrance....when is the magic year that contract with LaL is up..?

1. - Re-Imagineer the entire Imagination Pavillion and make it worthy of the space it occupys, not to mention make it once again be a truly imaginative and inspiring experience that will empower creativity within Guests yet again.

Kalima45

These are just a few ideas I've kicked around in my head for a while.

1. Put in a Mulan coaster ride for China.
2. Replace the Norway ending video with a hands on exhibit, or maybe even something themed to the trolls.
3. Replace the Canada video with an interactive set. I was thinking of the two moose from Brother Bear set in a theme like Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, or even set to country bear jamboree form. I'm not a fan of the 360 videos.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
2. - Remove the LaL *gravestones* at the entrance....when is the magic year that contract with LaL is up..?

For the record, I agree with all of your sentiments, but I would feel sorry for the people who shelled out money for the little Lal image. I think they'd have to make a special place in the park for the monoliths, gravestones, eyesores, or whatever I should refer to them as.

BoarderPhreak

For the record, I agree with all of your sentiments, but I would feel sorry for the people who shelled out money for the little Lal image. I think they'd have to make a special place in the park for the monoliths, gravestones, eyesores, or whatever I should refer to them as.
Yep, I hate the tombstones. They're not going INTO the park though, that's for sure. They weigh a LOT (requiring some hefty machinery). Sadly, they're going to be around for the duration... Not necessarily where they stand today... But I wouldn't get your hopes up that they'll move.

5thGenTexan

Let me preface this post by saying I haven't been to Florida at all since 1992. So, what I may say may be partially influenced by nostalgia, but I also have an idea of what the park was meant to be and should at least try to stick with that.

To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship—welcome. EPCOT is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all. May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere in the world.
E. Cardon Walker, October 24, 1982

Epcot should have NO thrill rides. There is a time and place for that, but the orginal concept behind Epcot doesn't provide for an expierence whose only purpose is to make one wet oneself.

Epcot should limit the Disney character experience. I am fine with Mickey, Minney, Donald, and Goofy coming over dressed in appropriate costuming for the area where they make an apperance, but Nemo needs to go and no more adding characters to exisiting attractions just because the bean counters think its a good idea. Figment was an original character and integral to the attraction, but just because Nemo is a fish and the Living Seas was a pavillion exploring the oceans does not mean Nemo belongs there. Sorry, but China does not need a roller coaster with Mulan stuck on it to make it seem to fit in.

Note to the Disney People in charge who don't care what I have to say. Fix what you have, bring back what people enjoyed in the past and want (FIGMENT), make Future World a vision of what people could achieve in the FUTURE. Geez, read Popule Mechanics or something, there is innovation and vision still out there you just gotta apply it to the pavillions. Make World Showcase the cultural experience it was meant to be and DO NOT dumb it down with a ride you can get anywhere else.

Fix what you have and restore the classics people want. Have a vision and see the innovation for the future. Epcot should be the one place where people are able to experience something that does not exist anywhere else. Make it special!!!!

piccolopat

At the entrance, get rid of the cemetary. Add back the themed music to each pavilion that kept us humming. For Soarin, change the film to show locations all over the world. Revamp Imagination to be more like the original - rich in things to see, hear and smell. Open Wonders Of Life and add a covered flume "Fantastic Voyage" themed ride to replace Body Wars. Add a Rhine River cruise in Germany. Add a Shakespeaer theatre in England and expand it to include Ireland (step dancing show, restaurant, ride through rainbows, leprachauns, countrywide). Add a rock climbing attraction in Canada. Add a rollercoaster in Japan (Mt. Fuji). Add a top notch table service restaurant in American Adventure serving the best cuisine of this country. Add a Journey to the Center of the Earth ride to Italy with the exit into Mt. Vesuvius/Pompeii. Add more adult oriented table service restaurants (or at least a section) such as to Norway. Does everything have to be character themed or cater so much to the kids? Add new countries - Russia, Greece, maybe Costa Rica with a rainforest theme. Bring back merchandise specific to each park and more unique country specific stuff. Fix the red room and end scenes of The Land boat ride to add more depth and detail. Add back something like the original GM ride as an alternative to TT. There is SOOO much more.

piccolopat

Yep, I hate the tombstones. They're not going INTO the park though, that's for sure. They weigh a LOT (requiring some hefty machinery). Sadly, they're going to be around for the duration... Not necessarily where they stand today... But I wouldn't get your hopes up that they'll move.
There was no guarantee that those picture tombstones would be there forever. It was a failed experiment that no one liked. It's time for them to go.

Crazydisneyfanluke

First of all I would renovate wonders of life. And bring it back as wonders of life. Times have changed in the last 20 years... people care a lot more about health, nutrition, ext.. now. Sure the attractions need to be renovated, expanded, or updated. But the concept could and would be more accepted with the next generation.
Next I would add another attraction (thrills ride to draw people that way) and possibly another country or two to WS. My choice would be Russia because its a county I know I will never go to and EPCOT is the next best thing!Thanks for the thread George! :)

I think Russia would be a great pavilion because of its architect! A cool ride would be maybe a simulated ride that takes you over the land of Russia to experience some of its wonders and how culture changes from east to west. (Kind of like Soarin' i guess :3)

NiarrNDisney

To add to my previous post I would also like to see the Mouse remove the Refreshment port by Canada and instead build and actual CS dining option and maybe a small lounge up on top of the Pavilion and then a better less cluttered area below with a QS that offers Beaver Tails once again.

Skippy's Pal

Can't agree with the coaster recommendations - EPCOT should be about immersive experiences, like beloved Horizons, Imagination back in the day. Flumes, trains, people-eating omnimovers. But not coasters. Fewer characters. Refresh the existing countries in ways that don't involve adding another restaurant. Lose the Duffy store. Absolutely lose Ellen DeGeneres. Fix the descent of Spaceship Earth. I want new countries so badly I'd even welcome Brazil.

jw24

I think Future World needs to be fixed first before World Showcase. Fix the Imagination Pavilion and replace the Universe of Energy would my top two priorities. Those two areas are just empty most of the time that they need bigger draws. Not necessarily with an e-ticket attraction but something original and creative. As for World Showcase, another pavilion would be nice. I'm thinking maybe Egypt 'cause I mean, who DOESN'T want to go to Egypt and see the pyramids and Sphinx?

openendedsky

Stop cluttering up the WS with new restaurants. Stop building in places that will take away the lovely views and make everyone crowd in.
Dear god please. This was something I thought about the last time I visited the park. If they keep doing this, the only spot you'll be able to get a decent view from are the VIP/Party viewing areas.

And in general just fix future world. please.

Florida_is_hot

I find World Showcase dull.
Though as I said before I see no great cultural significance at all.

Really they maybe staffed by people from the host countries but what culture, for example you are not expected to know french in France, Chinese in China.... etc....

Sell stuff, at inflated prices.
Sell food that will sell to Americans at inflated prices.

Look at the building from the world showcase the front guests see is themed, but the back of the buildings show the true nature of the place, "Industrial Building".

New stuff be nice but, it is just pseudo culture

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Stop cluttering up the WS with new restaurants. Stop building in places that will take away the lovely views and make everyone crowd in.

Thanks to @openendedsky who just quoted this, I wanted to a) agree wholeheartedly and b) mention that a recent exchange with @marni1971 brought it to my attention that it may be too crowded at this juncture for a ToN type parade which I feel would be a quick way to bring some luster back to EPCOT.

Weather_Lady

Akershus was a lovely place to grab some great grub back in the day, but like so many other nicer dining locations, it has had to sink to the family-dining-with-kids level.
Do we REALLY need Princess dining in EPCOT when we already have so many other places on-property to dine with the gals?

I agree completely! I've been to Norway and Sweden (the actual countries!) and the food and architecture are amazing. I'd love to dine at Akershus to get a reminder of that experience (even a watered-down, Disneyfied one), but NOT at the cost of being hounded by Princesses at a meal that is geared entirely toward children, with all the resulting noise and dumbing-down of the menu. It's not that I'm anti-children or anti-Princess. I have two kids, and we enjoy taking them to character dining. I just don't see how Norway has anything to do with the princesses, particularly when none of them are Scandinavian! We'd love to try Akershus someday, but ONLY if they made it a non-character restaurant... or if they were offering me a lot of free aquavit first...

Figments Friend

Dear god please. This was something I thought about the last time I visited the park. If they keep doing this, the only spot you'll be able to get a decent view from are the VIP/Party viewing areas.

It would not surprise me at all if this is indeed the master plan in the end.

:(

Fix Future World...UoE, JII exspecially.....and give EPCOT the respect it deserves.
Let it inspire, self-empower, and bring to light forward thinking concepts as it once did.

Figments Friend

Epcot should have NO thrill rides. There is a time and place for that, but the orginal concept behind Epcot doesn't provide for an expierence whose only purpose is to make one wet oneself.
!

Agree, as the *thrills* should come more from being mentally stimulated as before...instead of just physical stimulation.

Sadly it is a sign of the times though...

Instead of Guests having their minds stimulated by thought-provoking and inspiring attractions, today it is all about the 3 minute thrill which is then quickly forgotten. It says a lot about attraction design and execution now.

Part of the reason Classic EPCOT Center is so fondly remembered by those who experienced it was because of that - the attractions stimulated your thought processes on a higher level of thinking.
You were inspired by what you experienced...and that was the main difference between todays attractions and those of yore- it was a EXPERIENCE and not just a *ride*.
Those experiences were unique and savored..and remembered.

Decending to the depths to visit a underwater research facility, SeaBase Alpha..
Taking a journey into the creative process..into the power of your own Imagination..
Exploring different living environments and the challanges that brings in the Horizons of the future...

Completely different attitudes now.

Swim with cartoon fish from a popular movie franchise...and it might make you wonder about the Seas.
Have a review of your bodily senses...and if you are lucky, it might inspire your Imagination.
Who cares about living in space now, or underwater..or farming in the desert. It is all about the NOW...who cares about what the Future holds for us.

*Dumbing down of EPCOT* indeed seems to have taken hold over the coming years as less interest is placed on more forward thinking concepts.

There is hope though.

I DO like what was done with the updated Test Track..and this is coming from someone who once despised this attraction with a passion.
Now it is much more in tune with EPCOTs original purpose and much more tolerable from a themed standpoint.

Yes, it is a *thrill ride*....but it expresses some of the futuristic, forward thinking aspects that harken back to EPCOTs glorious past. That is why i like it. I like that approach.
Instead of just being a test track dummy/ test subject, you are now provoked to THINK about some things.
It may not be as awe inspiring as it could have been, but the futuristic attitude is a step in the right direction when compared to other recent re-themes of EPCOT attractions.

So there is hope...a slight glimmer....

Maryssa*

I would make the old Imageworks my own personal apartment :D

I think the issue with "revamping" Future World is that technology advances so much faster these days, that new rides would become obsolete much quicker than before. They need to come up with a way that things can be updated more easily than ripping out a ride and redoing it.

I agree that as much as I love current Energy, it's a huge important topic that should be updated with how things are going right now and how we can help. HOwever I'm sure there's that delicate political line that they don't want to go near with things such as global warming.

I also agree that Wonders of Life could be a huge bank of possibilities with the advances we've made in the health/medical world, but again it would need to be easily updated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom