Blog Flume - What should Disney do with EPCOT

doctornick

They need more big ticket attractions to better disperse the crowd.

Actually, I don't think they need any "big ticket" attractions at all, they need just additional new attractions or updates to "freshen things up". But they can be B- or C-ticket type stuff. My ideas for Epcot would be...

1. Add some attractions (especially, rides) to WS. Just adding 2-3 to the pavilions without attractions and they should be cultural/educational stuff in line with the spirit of that area.
2. Put some actual rides in Wonders of Life. It doesn't have to be a health theme, but use that space for guest purposes all the time, something accessible to everyone. I think the previous idea for a weather pavilion would work well.
3. Make M:S into a full "space exploration" pavilion. There's tons of things that could work and fit into Epcot's edutainment history and a smaller attraction would be a nice addition.
4. Revamp Imagination, including overhauling the ride, opening the upstairs imagination works and coming up with a new 4D film
5. Update the pre-show/theming for UoE (I think this is a less important need, but it could use a change).

I think all of these are more pressing/important than building a new country in WS. I don't have a problem with adding another country, but if they do that, hopefully it would have a ride with it and not just be shipping/food.

Figmentation

2. Put some actual rides in Wonders of Life. It doesn't have to be a health theme, but use that space for guest purposes all the time, something accessible to everyone. I think the previous idea for a weather pavilion would work well.

Sadly #2 will not happen... they've already gutted the place almost completely.
It's solely used for Food and Wine Festival and large Events now. :(

Benjamin Linus

Its ironic that the greatest thing about EPCOT, I.E. Inspiring discovery, is also its greatest downfall and would make it a nightmare for Disney to maintain. None more so than future world as it would require frequent updates to stay relevant unlike World Showcase where you could leave more time between renovations before it becomes dated.
I agree that the 'wonders of life' pavilion should be renovated. Its such a shame that such a large part of future world is being essentially wasted. The other sciences get their fair share of representation in the other parts of future world so it's only fair that the biological/medical sciences get their showing too. The World Showcase is fine for the moment but I would update a few of the videos as mentioned by others to prevent them from getting woefully dated.

aladdin2007

I think they would if Norway would approve of one, been hearing rumors since awhile back that they don't want to sponsor the pavilion anymore. In any case....

...Universe of Energy needs a update for sure. Though it's still leagues better than the movie-ride from the 80s, man, remembering that video put me to sleep.

Norway offered Disney a brand new movie (including the new themesong, Power of Nature) for free under a proposed new agreement, Disney turned it down. Disney still wanted more money yet and then the government finally said no and gave up, there were interested backers along with the government as well but the amounts Disney has continued to demand has been the turn off. I also think Norway wanted the princess dining thing ditched, and Disney wont give it up (move it to the Oddyssy already uggg) anyway, Norway has wanted badly to be involved again, but the two parties sadly are no longer on speaking terms. The woman spearheading all this from the Norwegian Chamber of Commerce worked so hard and fought so hard, but its Disney greed at work here I hate to say. And I think this continues to be the problem with gaining new sponsors and support.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Norway offered Disney a brand new movie (including the new themesong, Power of Nature) for free under a proposed new agreement, Disney turned it down. Disney still wanted more money yet and then the government finally said no and gave up, there were interested backers along with the government as well but the amounts Disney has continued to demand has been the turn off. I also think Norway wanted the princess dining thing ditched, and Disney wont give it up (move it to the Oddyssy already uggg) anyway, Norway has wanted badly to be involved again, but the two parties sadly are no longer on speaking terms. The woman spearheading all this from the Norwegian Chamber of Commerce worked so hard and fought so hard, but its Disney greed at work here I hate to say. And I think this continues to be the problem with gaining new sponsors and support.

I've had the feeling for a while that they should either make things more amenable for sponsors or ditch that organizational structure.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think the Imagineers need to sit down together for a few hours and really figure out what the future is looking to turn out like, then create it!

If they can get the support from corporate of course ;)

I've sold them my time machine. They know we're 2.8 years from a Mad Max dystopian type society where we'll all be fighting over rats and plastic Easter eggs (which will be extremely valuable for reasons I can't divulge. Don't want to ruin the future!), but they are reticent to build the pavilion due to 1) time constraints and 2) issues of presentation.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Give it back an entrance plaza
Remove the canopies
Remove all the concrete
Remove the stage
Improve the Fountain of Nations audio system. And restore the misters.
Finish SSE
Upgrade Energy
Repurpose Wonders and reopen it
Tweak Test Track (no finale music....really...)
Imagination (Nuff said)
Update Circle of Life. And reanimate the pavilion mobile.
Give Soarin isolated projection booths
Fix the flaws with Seas
Use all of Innoventions properly
Reopen Odyssey to day guests
De clutter WS Prom
Restore Maelstrom
Digital projection for AA
Finally use the Japan show building
Update Imp de France
Give ROE the plussing and love it deserves

....for starters. Off the top of my head.

Not too much to ask.

StarWarsGirl

This is an interesting question and something I ponder every time I walk into the park. So I'll divide it up:

Future World:

1. Do something about Wonders of Life. I was thinking some sort of roller coaster would be cool, though I'm not sure what I would theme it as.
2. Imagination Pavilion: Revamp the ride completely. Maybe do something along the lines of the original. After Captain EO has run its course, I would add some sort of 3D film with Figment.
3. Improve Test Track. Keep all the visual stuff, but add back the bumpy roads and the actual "experience" and story.
4. The Land: Get rid of that stupid circle of life film, put in a 3D film. Leave Living with the Land as is. Digitize Soarin' and make it HD. And get rid of the stupid games in the queue.
5. Spaceship Earth-Nothing. It's fine as it is.
6. Innoventions-Revamp it and make it more similar to Disney Quest. Not sure of details, but it does need improving.
7. Seas with Nemo-It's fine as is
8. Get rid of Mission: Space. It was a flop. Let's move on. I would still put some sort of space ride there, though.
9. Redo Ellen's energy adventure. I'm not sure what I would do with it, but I'd get rid of it.

World Showcase:
1. Get rid of that museum behind Japan. Depending on spacing requirements, I would either add a ride or expand the shop.
2. Get rid of the Africa area. Seriously, we have an Africa in Animal Kingdom. I would add another pavilion in its place. I would like to see Spain, but I think there's some dispute there with the government.
3. I'm not sure what I would do with American Adventure, but it's my least favorite pavilion. I think I'd add some sort of ride to it. Maybe a coaster. I'd leave the show, though. That, and improve the food.
4. Italy-I can't even walk into that one shop because of the perfume. I have asthma and I can't go anywhere near it because of how bad it is. I'm sure Disney loses business because people like me can't go in there. I would get rid of it or move it to its own exclusive area. I would add a quick service place out by the water
5. I would add a coaster someplace, but I would have to look at the exact spacing requirements to get an idea of where to put it. I know originally, there were ideas for a coaster in the UK, but there were some spacing issues.
6. Norway: Expand the ride if possible, get rid of the film. Improve the food in the Banquet Hall.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One thing we haven't considered about Epcot expansion... Where's the space for it? Look at the park on Google Maps and there is little room to add any new pavilions at all in FW without removing an existing one, and the only place I could see you adding a WS pavilion is between China and Germany. Anyone have thoughts or ideas on this issue?
There's plenty of space. Try a thread search for maps.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I also think Norway wanted the princess dining thing ditched, and Disney wont give it up (move it to the Oddyssy already uggg) anyway, Norway has wanted badly to be involved again, but the two parties sadly are no longer on speaking terms. The woman spearheading all this from the Norwegian Chamber of Commerce worked so hard and fought so hard, but its Disney greed at work here I hate to say. And I think this continues to be the problem with gaining new sponsors and support.
Nah. Move em to Fantasyland.

NiarrNDisney

I would like to see a new Country added to the 11 exsisting Nations
I wish they would bring back the Tapestry of Nations parade
Also I think it's time to give some attention to Future World by reopening WoL even if its a whole new concept, give some love to Innoventions and its time to reimagine Imagination!

DisneyJunkie

By and large, I'd be more interested in WS if there was some kind of ride (not necessarily something thrilling like a coaster) to each pavilion.

Future World, however, is in serious need of major reworking.

- SSE: Leaving the last portion of the ride in darkness is just sloppy and poor. Even if we're supposed to use that time for the touchscreen stuff, bring back the previous things around us that was there prior to the touchscreen conversion.

- UoE: DUMP ELLEN DEGENERES. She's never been funny or even slightly amusing. Also, update the animatronic dinos. If you can come up with better ones and put them in Dinosaur (in AK), certainly you can update the ones you have on this ride, which is really the main reason for enjoying the attraction.

- Mission Space: Keep it as is, but dump the option of a "less intense" experience. I've tried both and the less intense greatly reduces, or outrightly takes away, what exactly make this a fun attraction to begin with.....those feelings of blasting off and the g-forces on you.

- JiYI: Unless they plan on going back to the very original attraction, they need to close the doors on this one and not reopen it until someone can come up with a decent concept. It's not like it'll hurt if they close this one down, there's NEVER any kind of long line for the ride and I never find many people even in ImageWorks when I'm there. Also....get rid of Captain EO already. I've always hated that junk.

- The Land: Get rid of Circle of Life altogether and put something else in that space, maybe some kind of 3D show experience about the environment.....something that isn't so ridiculously dated as what's there now. And for Soarin'......update the ride to Florida and convert the film to digital. All those specs and flutterings on the original film really distracts.

- The Seas: I guess it is what it is and probably can't have much more changed about it.

- Test Track (now 2.0): I'm not the least bit impressed by what I've seen, and I've watched many POV HD videos of it. I know the ride layout itself hasn't changed, but turning it into a kind of Tron experience just seems dumb to me.

Violet

A good roller coaster would be a good addition. It wouldn't have to be all themed or anything either, just a simple one, you know, futuristic :)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
First of all I would renovate wonders of life. And bring it back as wonders of life. Times have changed in the last 20 years... people care a lot more about health, nutrition, ext.. now. Sure the attractions need to be renovated, expanded, or updated. But the concept could and would be more accepted with the next generation.
Next I would add another attraction (thrills ride to draw people that way) and possibly another country or two to WS. My choice would be Russia because its a county I know I will never go to and EPCOT is the next best thing!Thanks for the thread George! :)

That is an excellent point! I think it's such a waste to have that pavilion sitting there and being used only for festival demonstrations. Isn't that why they built World ShowPlace??

Although health & nutrition can be a touchy subject nowadays, as they learned with that Innoventions attraction--Habit Heroes? That was unfortunate.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
That is an excellent point! I think it's such a waste to have that pavilion sitting there and being used only for festival demonstrations. Isn't that why they built World ShowPlace??

Although health & nutrition can be a touchy subject nowadays, as they learned with that Innoventions attraction--Habit Heroes? That was unfortunate.

As I've pointed out "Habit Heroes" was not nearly as controversial as the "Fatty, Fatty, Two by Four, Do Some Push-Ups, Hit the Floor" workout show it replaced.

Figments Friend

Remember when dial-up was the only way to access the Internet? Anybody longing for those "good old days"?

Yeah...i had dial-up service until this past fall when i finally switched to high speed. No joke....fact.

I liked it old school...but it sucked when it came to uploading photos or watching videos.

Worked great the rest of the time !

:)

Figments Friend

Agree completely with the Norway rep wanting Disney to pull the Princess Dining out of that pavillion.
It messes with the theme, not to mention create a annoying eyesore of multitudes of strollers parked all over the place and the resulting bottleneck issues during peak seasons.
I will side with the rep on this all the way.

Akershus was a lovely place to grab some great grub back in the day, but like so many other nicer dining locations, it has had to sink to the family-dining-with-kids level.
Do we REALLY need Princess dining in EPCOT when we already have so many other places on-property to dine with the gals?

In regards to the Norway film, i have always enjoyed the real retro-EPCOT vibe of the one currantly showing. Sure a new film would be great, but Norway as a entire WS Pavillion is one great slice of EPCOT*s past that still exsists pretty much untouched. I like that vibe....i like old school Disney Park vibes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom