Biggest Imagineering Screw-ups!

Slosh

I got one we've all missed; although I'm not sure if it was internal imagineering bickering or corporate bull. Firing the imagineers that were designing Beastly Kingdom, who then crossed town and designed some of the best themed rides and areas in Orlando for Universal's IOA. Say what you will, but the theming of Dueling Dragons and the Enchanted Oak Tavern are gorgeous and easily on par with anything Disney's ever done.

Dukeis#1

The design of Animal Kingdom. It's got to be the most confusing park layout I've ever seen. Sure, it looks simple on the guide map, but when you're actually in the park...

Also, they should have built some sort of transportation around AK. The boats where nice, until they closed them for some reason.

I think the Wildlife Express should have been routed through the park rather than out to the Planet Watch thing. That way it could be like the WDWRR over at the Magic Kingdom and provide transportation around the park.

nibblesandbits

I don't know if this is considered an Imagineering blunder, but a blunder none the less...those stupid Leave A Legacy tiles in front of Spaceship Earth. Come on, I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet.

Captain Hank

Dukeis #1, the reason that the boats closed is that many people thought that the boats were a great attraction/efficient form of transportation/anything worth riding. They were none of these. However, there were really long lines of hopeful guests, who became very dissappointed guests after getting off of this short, one-way attraction. The exit surveys were dismal. But I do agree that the park could have been designed to be more travel-friendly.

As for full-fledged Imagineering screw-ups, I really can't think of too many that were completely WDI's fault. More often than not, there was some other factor, such as budget, causing them to design something the way they did. However, I do disagree with the entire idea of Dinorama, that has no place at a Disney theme park. I remember walking through Universal and seeing the cheap carnival games near Jaws. I was immediately relieved to think that I'd never see anything of the sort at a Disney park. Little did I know...

ScrapIron

My first thought was SSL at DCA ("Look, there's Cher." "WHY!?!?!"), but the Tomorrowland redo of 1998 may even beat that.

Dinosaur is at the opposite end of AK from KS, which is actually as it should be to spread out the crowds. It is my understanding that the only reason ToT and RnRC are next to each other is because of the huge power demands of each, and another electrical sub station would've been needed if they were in different areas.

Like POTC and the HM, Indy is outside the berm at DL. And for Indy, that point is passed while still in the queue. It's a massive building, which was quite obvious when the parking lot was still there. I've never looked for it, but somewhere in the queue, you can look up and spot a sign from the parking lot section that used to be in that space.

Cheers.

ZHoyt

Dinosaur/CTX is not hidden. It is in a corner. Just like Space Mountain and Splash Mountain. The big problem with Dinosaur is it has no visual draw to get you to the corner.

BenS

The Aladdin ride is the dumbest thing WDI has ever done. It is totally out of the theming of the area and they already have a ride identicle to it in Fantasyland.

Yen_Sid1

My vote is for Dino-Rama. The theming is really tacky and the carnival games make it the worst area. Chester and Hester's shop was okay, but to expand it to a whole area is just ridiculous.

Hawk4255

on an brief but interesting tangent, have you noticed how Tower of Terror seems to blend in with the architecture of the Morocco pavilion when viewed from the entrance to World Showcase? Not sure if that was intentional or not, but it does seem to work pretty well.

Completely intentional. You were never meant to see the other parks from inside a park, so WDI did their best to blend it.

Captain Hank

I'm afraid I'm having difficulty imagining the placement of TOT in relation to Morocco. Is it at an angle so that the building has the least surface area pointing toward Epcot?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom