Biggest Imagineering Screw-ups!

togasports

raven said:
Or the narrow passage through Fantasyland and the now crowded Frontierland in front of the Magic carpets of Aladdin. These to me are very irritable bottlenecks especially when there are strollers everywhere. I tend to avoid these areas now and not even go into those areas anymore.

Stroller Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fork: :fork:

PhilosophyMagic

Original Poster
raven said:
I'm not sure if you visited AK before 2002 or not but "Dinosaur" (or Countdown to Extinction) was built BEFORE Dinoland was even thought up. I'm sure it wasn't intentionally hidden.

Yeah, I was there soon after it opened, before Asia existed, and when it was still called CTX. Dinoland definately existed back then, so I think you meant Dino-Rama. Even before Dino-Rama, Dinosaur was hidden.

Does anyone know if there are at least SIGNS pointing to Dinosaur so people notice it amidst all the new junk.

DisneyFreak721

As much as I hate to slam imagineers, actually i dont even consider this slamming them since as stated earlier, its all they can do with the budget they get....but here is my list:
Tomorrowland at Disneyland.....OH my goodness, what happened there? Clones and Rocket Rods....Nowadays its just dead and I go to the park now, and pretty much only hit the west half of the park.
Superstar Limo at DCA....Im stunned that nobody mentioned that travesty specifically yet. What was that about? I got off of it thinking that, as did most everyone else.
Sounds Dangerous...Not that its bad, its just overrated. I do find it odd that you can find the exact same thing as the main attraction, in those little private sound booths in the Post-Show.
Who Wants to be a Millionaire: PLAY IT - Too much corporate synergy for my tastes.
Dino-Rama....i'd say why, but it would just be redundant to everyone elses comments
Tower of Terror at DCA....If we're gonna build a clone of (IMO) the greatest ride ever, then lets build it exactly the same or better, not half-assed
The Hat and the Wand...need i say more?
Magic Carpets of Aladdin...as stated earlier, how many of these do we need?

nakedbear

I think the worst blunder was the peptp bismol castle for one of the past anniversaries at the magic Kingdom. That and I hat the wand on epcot left over from the 2000 celebration.

djmatthews

togasports: You mention DLRP. The DisneyLand Park is highly regarded as the best Magic Kingdom, it is rich in detail, theme and space.

I don't blame the Imagineers in any way, its the suits incharge of the Imagineers. Dinorama, DCA, WDS Paris..... I'm sure the Imagineers did the best job possible with allocated budgets. As previously mentioned, just look at TDS.... although I've not been, I'm dying to go and I WILL go. It's a shame I don't feel the same about WDS which is on my doorstep or DCA.

Goofy23

Dino-Rama. Never thought I'd see a cheap carnival-type midway with impossible-to-win games in a Disney park. The strange thing is, my wife loves that section. No idea why....

I also gotta agree with the dead-end near BTMRR. Although they probably won't ever be able to fix it.

betahawk

Concerning the hat in front of the Great Movie Ride----

I hate that it blocks out the Chinese theater, but I've heard (from a GMR CM) that that was intentional. Disney's agreement to use the image of the theater ran out; they can keep the building, but can't sell likenesses (photo, video, etc.) of the structure, hence the hat to block it. Otherwise they would be limited with what they could film/photograph, and how they could market the park.

Don't know if this is true, but it explains putting the hat directly in front of the visual centerpoint of the park.

togasports

djmatthews said:
togasports: You mention DLRP. The DisneyLand Park is highly regarded as the best Magic Kingdom, it is rich in detail, theme and space.

I don't blame the Imagineers in any way, its the suits incharge of the Imagineers. Dinorama, DCA, WDS Paris..... I'm sure the Imagineers did the best job possible with allocated budgets. As previously mentioned, just look at TDS.... although I've not been, I'm dying to go and I WILL go. It's a shame I don't feel the same about WDS which is on my doorstep or DCA.

I agree that it was a corporate mistake. But looking back, Spain or Germany would have been a better choice in my opinion.

NitroStitch

The bottleneck coming out of Camp Minnie-Mickey, heading back toward the rest of AK. When Festival of the Lion King lets out, there's no room to breathe, and you just get stuck as part of the herd. :rolleyes:

bork

With regards to Test Track's problems, weren't a lot of the problems due to originally outsourcing the software? It didn't get done right until the Imagineers redid the software themselves. Also, wasn't Test Track's 2 year delay a big reason why Imagineering was gutted? (i.e. cheaper and quicker
to buy off-the-shelf rides instead of designing and building themselves)

About DCA. I thought I read somewhere that Imagineering wasn't used to design this park, but rather it was designed by another group that knows nothing about theme park design? I can't remember if it was a group like Entertainment or real estate?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Paris wasn`t an Imagineering screw up - Disneyland park gives TDS a run for its money as most beautiful park. Circumstances were EDL`s downfall. Opening at the height of a European recession (spl?) , misjudging the spending per European guest, misjudging hotel demand (it was the hotels that threw EDL`s money plan, but the powers that be (above Imagineering) didn`t want another Harbour Blvd or International Drive, so they built them all at once)

Imagineering-wise, Disneyland Park (why don`t they call it the Magic Kingdom again?) is damn near perfect - I hate to say it but it beats WDW`s hands down, and had management gone ahead with the original plans, would have been truly perfect. There is still time, plus open spaces, so only time(and profit) will tell...

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I think everyone is missing the obvious:

EuroDisney-Disneyland Paris

:eek: :eek: :eek:

My votes go to.....

-Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama
-Journey Into Your Imagination (v2 of course, definitely not v3)
-'97 version of Cindy's Castle
-Sorcerer's Hat in front of the GMR
-Epcot wand over SSE
-Magic Carpets of Aladdin
-Mission: SPACE (major let-down, could have been MUCH better)

SewIn2Disney

-Tearing down the Golden Girls House (my favorite)
-Not making Mickey's Toontown Fair larger for better crowd management. (you wanna talk about stroller control??)
-Removing the Skyway and not doing anything with the empty towers for so long (I loved the skyway!)
-Not making the Monorail accessible to every park (I know it's not financially possible, but one can still dream)

LSUxStitch

Dont know if its just me, but Animal Kingdom with all the greenary around, is EXTREMELY hotter than most parks....yet less waterfountains, and i have heard guests complain about this alot...but i do have to say they have added some water areas since it first open (man it was REALLY hott in the begiinning)....dont know if this is Imagineering....but still a blunder by disney in my eyes...UNLESS it was to get us to buy more water from them (just go drink out of the sinks in the bathrooms....lol :p ), OR it could just be UNBELIEVABLE theming and making it feel like you are really in AFRICA or ASIA ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom