Big Hero 6 Question

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Just a quick question here. Are they going to have M&G characters for Big Hero 6 when the movie gets released? Or does this also go along with the rules of the East of the Mississippi Contract as the film is animated by Disney Animation but is based on a Marvel comic?

For those who are curious the new trailer was just released...

KLinder7

Great question. Hoping it is allowed, but I'm sure the lawyers are looking at this closely. I have no clue, but my gut says we will see them. Hope it doesn't replace Wreck it Ralph at DHS though.

wdwfan4ver

Great Question. I think Big Hero 6 shouldn't have problems going to WDW unless the film has characters that Universal owns that I didn't see inside the trailer.

My bigger concern is a Big Hero 6 attraction going to Epcot instead of Tomorrowland or DHS. if the movie is a big box office hit

Matt_Black

Great Question. I think Big Hero 6 shouldn't have problems going to WDW unless the film has characters that Universal owns that I didn't see inside the trailer.

Disney owns all of the characters in the movie. Now, Universal has theme park rights to the X-Men in Florida, and the original comic featured Sunfire and Silver Samurai, both X-Men characters. Everything I've heard, though, is that neither character is featured in this movie (possibly because, being X-Men characters, FOX would have first crack at putting them into a film).

EricJ

The other characters--Hiro, Gogo, etc.--are from Marvel, and the way I heered it, Universal has ALL the theme-park Marvel characters in Florida. Which is why Captain America and Thor only appear on the cruise ships and Disneyland, and why the Iron Man ride is only in HK.

We're waiting for that to change someday, but how "distanced" the 6 are from Marvel (and the lawyers probably still won't buy that), is just a matter of waiting and seeing.
The Guardians of the Galaxy, however, are a definite out.

Matt_Black

The other characters--Hiro, Gogo, etc.--are from Marvel, and the way I heered it, Universal has ALL the theme-park Marvel characters in Florida. Which is why Captain America and Thor only appear on the cruise ships and Disneyland, and why the Iron Man ride is only in HK.

We're waiting for that to change someday, but how "distanced" the 6 are from Marvel (and the lawyers probably still won't buy that), is just a matter of waiting and seeing.
The Guardians of the Galaxy, however, are a definite out.

Well, you'll note that in the comics, the main character is named Hiro Takachiho. In the movie, his name will be Hiro Hamada. I wonder if that wasn't done to skirt any issues. "Hiro Hamada has NEVER appeared in any Marvel comic. True, he bears some similarities to Hiro Takachiho, but they're different. Really."

doctornick

Disney owns all of the characters in the movie. Now, Universal has theme park rights to the X-Men in Florida, and the original comic featured Sunfire and Silver Samurai, both X-Men characters. Everything I've heard, though, is that neither character is featured in this movie (possibly because, being X-Men characters, FOX would have first crack at putting them into a film).

Right. It seems like the way they have setup the film, they have distanced Big Hero 6 from the X-Men, which would quite possibly avoid both the Fox movie rights issue and the East coast Uni parks issue. I don't think (but I'm no expert on this particular comic) that the characters wouldn't be related enough to Storm/Wolverine/Magneto to be considered part of their "family" per the Marvel/Uni contract (I think those are the only three mutants that Uni uses or refers to in the park).

If there's a concern regarding the Uni contract, I think Disney would be clear doing a M&G at DTD or in one of the hotels since they are not "in a theme park" and the contract doesn't seem to exclude use that way, much like it allowed for the monorail wrap on the MK line.

Matt_Black

Right. It seems like the way they have setup the film, they have distanced Big Hero 6 from the X-Men, which would quite possibly avoid both the Fox movie rights issue and the East coast Uni parks issue. I don't think (but I'm no expert on this particular comic) that the characters wouldn't be related enough to Storm/Wolverine/Magneto to be considered part of their "family" per the Marvel/Uni contract (I think those are the only three mutants that Uni uses or refers to in the park).

If there's a concern regarding the Uni contract, I think Disney would be clear doing a M&G at DTD or in one of the hotels since they are not "in a theme park" and the contract doesn't seem to exclude use that way, much like it allowed for the monorail wrap on the MK line.

It's also telling that they don't use the word "Marvel" anywhere in the trailer.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Nice observation, I wonder if there will be a Based on Characters Created by Marvel (or some derivative) during the opening credits?

It has been mentioned that the main character's name was also changed..from Hiro Takachiho to Hiro Hamada..

Matt_Black

Nice observation, I wonder if there will be a Based on Characters Created by Marvel (or some derivative) during the opening credits?

I don't know, but considering the goodwill that Marvel movies have (even their weakest film can gross over a half billion worldwide), you'd think they'd want to get a little Marvel rub on the advertising.

lazyboy97o

There contract does not get into how families are to be delineated. It is definitely interesting that the Marvel name was not used in the teaser and Disney may well be trying to establish this as something different. Regardless of wether or not Big Hero 6 is somehow a family to one of the used characters, Walt Disney World cannot use the the Marvel name or do any local advertising within 300 miles of Universal Orlando Resort.

Maybe Mr. Proof should actually read the contract before just saying stuff.

FettFan

Just a quick question here. Are they going to have M&G characters for Big Hero 6 when the movie gets released? Or does this also go along with the rules of the East of the Mississippi Contract as the film is animated by Disney Animation but is based on a Marvel comic?

For those who are curious the new trailer was just released...

So they recycled the same "Fat Hero" gag from the Incredibles teaser.

But they mixed it with an Iron Man-esque armor suit.

My confidence in this film is bubbling over.

Cesar R M

It has been mentioned that the main character's name was also changed..from Hiro Takachiho to Hiro Hamada..
didnt they changed the name just for easier spelling ?
Just like a lot of american movies change the names of the asian heroes to make them easier.. (like Ying Yang in the expendables)

Matt_Black

didnt they changed the name just for easier spelling ?
Just like a lot of american movies change the names of the asian heroes to make them easier.. (like Ying Yang in the expendables)

Probably a couple reasons. In addition to spelling, it also rolls of the tongue a bit easier. Also, comic book heroes, especially Marvel ones, just work better when they've got double initials- Peter Parker, Reed Richards, Bruce Banner, Susan Storm, Matt Murdock, etc.

Bairstow

I've heard that the entire Universal/Marvel contract is up online. Can someone link me to it?
I want to see whether it matters whether the characters were created before the park opened OR before the the licensing agreement was executed.
....or if that even matters at all.

So they recycled the same "Fat Hero" gag from the Incredibles teaser.

But they mixed it with an Iron Man-esque armor suit.

My confidence in this film is bubbling over.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees that.
I'm actually pretty confident in the movie. A lot of the stuff in this teaser looks really interesting, especially the concept of an inflatable, squishy robot and how its shape and surface reacts to being squeezed in different ways. It reminds me of all the thoughtful design work that went into the candy-based world in Wreck it Ralph. Barring a second trailer with a bunch of fart jokes and pop music, I'm totally on board for this.

...though I'm really intrigued by just how closely they matched that teaser to The Incredibles.

Matt_Black

Well, Incredibles was a big hit for Disney and Pixar, and it's an animated film about a group of superheroes. It makes sense that they'd subtly (or not) try to connect the two in audiences minds, not unlike why the trailer for The Hangover 2 was very much like the trailer for the first film, so much so that people asked if it was a sequel or a shot-by-shot remake. You go with what's proven to work. Though, as I mentioned, while the joke appears the same, there are different themes at play in the two trailers; the fact that it's Hiro who is trying to mold Baymax rather than Baymax doing it himself changes the dynamic considerably.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom