Big changes to magicbands?!

Gringrinngghost

I wonder if this will become effective once DLR gets their inevitable version of MM+. Or when the Disney Springs Apple Store finally opens.
It's really gonna depend on which Orlando Park will pull the trigger first at the moment. While it's Disneys plans, I have a feeling that it will be brought out very soon especially with the timetable I've heard for Universal Orlando's mobile ticketing, which they have a limited functionality for already. MM+ supports phones already, I've actually been able to scan my resort cards AND magic band that's just sitting in a box to my cell phone, so the option is there, it's just a matter of implementation.

lazyboy97o

I wonder if this will become effective once DLR gets their inevitable version of MM+. Or when the Disney Springs Apple Store finally opens.
Apple does not allow developer access to the NFC chip in the iPhones or AppleWatch. Disney can't make it work without special access, but that would undermine Apple's security claims against Australian banks who want access. The Apple Store at Disney Springs is currently not happening.

WhatJaneSays

You can't actually clone a MB, you would need to break the master key which is AES-256. You can only read so far for these bands. I'm also sure that they have certain device IDs enabled that can preform handshakes.
Genuinely cloning a band is a beast of a higher order of magnitude that would likely require access to their system and a lot of trial and error that you could never do in a live setting like WDW. Using flaws in a system to trick said system in to a false positive result is different. (Just as wrong, but much easier.)

I don't off hand know in what capacity MBs use handshakes, or if they even do (one would assume they would), but I'm sure getting around them would be similar to how crooks have been by passing the authentications on Chip and PIN cards for years.

**Stacy**

I've been using my current band (as a local) for almost 2 years. I wouldn't consider that too limited.
The last time I renewed I went to DTD guest services and I just kept using the same band I had used the year before. Two years with no issues, though I am pretty sure I chucked my band after I decided not to renew in 2015 so I can't bring it in to renew this Fall.

MagicHappens1971

The last time I renewed I went to DTD guest services and I just kept using the same band I had used the year before. Two years with no issues, though I am pretty sure I chucked my band after I decided not to renew in 2015 so I can't bring it in to renew this Fall.
Bands last 3-5 years at the least :)

erwinalber4

The second you introduce alternative type media, there is going to be more staff to work the gates. Phones and smart watches are convenient but they are also only on one person. I have seen it hundreds of times where the patriarch of the family has all the passes for his family and insists on scanning people through individually. Granted most of my work is at concerts and sporting events but it holds up the lines. In the case a family will have 2 smart phones and 2 bands for the kids, he bands are ready to go, no issue. The phone, usually locked, will be unlocked in preparation for the gate. If the person in front doesnt finish quickly the phone may lock again, media needs to be accessed again. It may sound petty but this is what I do for a living. I help my clients get people into their events and one thing that is consistent across the board is that only half of the people using phones as their entry method can go as fast as a traditional media. The RFID points for the gates are a whole other story. The contact point on the phone and the reader is going to be completely foreign to a lot of people because when you use it at the store it is a little more forgiving.

You may just say, "thats not true! I can' use my phone and I'm super duper smart" I can only say that for 8 years I have been watching the progression of ticket media and this is not faster, not by a long shot.
I have to agree with you 100% here. I worked turnstiles at Busch Gardens for awhile and the phones had so many issues from waiting to unlock them and find the app or photo of the ticket to just the slightest crack on the screen throwing it off. Of course I'm sure Disney's would most definitely be different but the underlying issue of the time it takes and mass confusion of the guests will definetly still exist. There's always the group leader who absolutely has to be in control of every aspect and it will hold up lines. I would rather not see Disney go this route because it is a false sense of convenience from my experiences.

matt9112

Really? I use this one with my 6s+ and have zero issues with it.

SPK-A3184_ip6p_cs-card.jpg

link to buy?

Gringrinngghost

Apple does not allow developer access to the NFC chip in the iPhones or AppleWatch. Disney can't make it work without special access, but that would undermine Apple's security claims against Australian banks who want access. The Apple Store at Disney Springs is currently not happening.
Apple could easily run two NFC chips on the phones/watches.

Gringrinngghost

I smell a Jobs fanboy.
Quite contrary. I never actually liked Steve Jobs, if there is anyone from that company I like its' Steve Wozniak. I'm a very knowledgeable technology enthusiast, and I do know what I'm talking about. Yes, there are certain things I like Apple for which are the MacBooks, iPads, and iPods (all 3 of which I own). I also have exclusively Android phones and a Windows Desktop. So when I said 'Apple could easily run two NFC chips on the phones/watches.' I mean they could. Call me a fanboy if you would like, but I prefer to be in the middle of both worlds. I'll leave you with my criticism about Apple in the CoP thread, when another use mentioned that Apple should sponsor it.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ior-refurbishment.912154/page-17#post-7323735

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Quite contrary. I never actually liked Steve Jobs, if there is anyone from that company I like its' Steve Wozniak. I'm a very knowledgeable technology enthusiast, and I do know what I'm talking about. Yes, there are certain things I like Apple for which are the MacBooks, iPads, and iPods (all 3 of which I own). I also have exclusively Android phones and a Windows Desktop. So when I said 'Apple could easily run two NFC chips on the phones/watches.' I mean they could. Call me a fanboy if you would like, but I prefer to be in the middle of both worlds. I'll leave you with my criticism about Apple in the CoP thread, when another use mentioned that Apple should sponsor it.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ior-refurbishment.912154/page-17#post-7323735
Whatever.

bhg469

I said this before and I will say it again. Can they please just make it so that you can use an Apple Watch as a MagicBand?
And ill say this again. Only if it is for purchases, never for ticket media. It will only lead to longer lines and will not work smoothly for most of the guests using it.

ioa792

They wouldn't need to add third party NFC support. It could work the same as NFC loyalty cards at Walgreens, express, etc. Disney would just need to make cards addable to the wallet system rather than directly link to the NFC reader through the MDE app.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom