Big changes to magicbands?!

AEfx

They wouldn't need to add third party NFC support. It could work the same as NFC loyalty cards at Walgreens, express, etc. Disney would just need to make cards addable to the wallet system rather than directly link to the NFC reader through the MDE app.

I'll echo the "please Lord no!" on this one.

Last thing I want to do is be stuck in line behind someone mucking around with their phone trying to get the right app up, etc. Blech. Getting in is difficult enough these days.

The whole thing is so silly. There was nothing wrong with the tickets to begin with, Magic Band isn't functionally any faster than running the ticket through the turnstile in the first place (remember how quick they flew through?) and adding another layer of a phone on top of it would just be nonsensical. Talk about solving a problem that didn't exist in the first place, doubled down.

When I saw the thread title I thought it actually meant something 'big" was changing - so I guess they are just going to make the bands modular, so they can sell more straps? I hadn't known there were people who had so many straps to begin with - if folks have to worry about the "8 band limit" or whatever, man - I had no idea folks were binging on these things. I've seen a few cool designs but I can't imagine buying multiples. Disney really hit the jackpot here - getting people to spend this kind of money on a plastic bracelet who's sole purpose is to make Disney more money by the fact you are wearing it. It's a bean counter's drunken wet dream.

ioa792

I'll echo the "please Lord no!" on this one.

Last thing I want to do is be stuck in line behind someone mucking around with their phone trying to get the right app up, etc. Blech. Getting in is difficult enough these days.

The whole thing is so silly. There was nothing wrong with the tickets to begin with, Magic Band isn't functionally any faster than running the ticket through the turnstile in the first place (remember how quick they flew through?) and adding another layer of a phone on top of it would just be nonsensical. Talk about solving a problem that didn't exist in the first place, doubled down.

When I saw the thread title I thought it actually meant something 'big" was changing - so I guess they are just going to make the bands modular, so they can sell more straps? I hadn't known there were people who had so many straps to begin with - if folks have to worry about the "8 band limit" or whatever, man - I had no idea folks were binging on these things. I've seen a few cool designs but I can't imagine buying multiples. Disney really hit the jackpot here - getting people to spend this kind of money on a plastic bracelet who's sole purpose is to make Disney more money by the fact you are wearing it. It's a bean counter's drunken wet dream.

Well, if its integrated into Apple Wallet, it will pop up on your screen or watch when you hold it up to the NFC reader. Thats how apple pay works as well. There is no need to open the physical app. I agree with you on there being nothing wrong with a ticket, but in the world of magic bands now, I want my watch to double as a band. I haven't used a magic band much because I wear my apple watch. I can pay with my apple watch basically anywhere while I'm there, so it would be convenient to use the watch as my pass/fast passes. I really don't see why people are against it. Are you also against NFC payments at stores because you could potentially be behind someone that doesn't know how to hold their phone up to a NFC reader?

bhg469

Well, if its integrated into Apple Wallet, it will pop up on your screen or watch when you hold it up to the NFC reader. Thats how apple pay works as well. There is no need to open the physical app. I agree with you on there being nothing wrong with a ticket, but in the world of magic bands now, I want my watch to double as a band. I haven't used a magic band much because I wear my apple watch. I can pay with my apple watch basically anywhere while I'm there, so it would be convenient to use the watch as my pass/fast passes. I really don't see why people are against it. Are you also against NFC payments at stores because you could potentially be behind someone that doesn't know how to hold their phone up to a NFC reader?
Lining up for entrance is not the same as making a purchase. Anything that could potentially make the line slower is not going to fly with me at all nor should it for anyone who is willing to pay to get into these parks. Maybe... and I do mean maybe I would be OK with it if there were double the entrances but that is not going to happen.

lazyboy97o

They wouldn't need to add third party NFC support. It could work the same as NFC loyalty cards at Walgreens, express, etc. Disney would just need to make cards addable to the wallet system rather than directly link to the NFC reader through the MDE app.
Rewards cards are a feature that was added later. Using that system for ticketing would be in contrast for its purpose and would not pass Apple's App Store review.

AEfx

Honestly? "Against" is a strong word, I just think it's all pretty stupid, to be honest. Mostly because of the fact that it's all (especially, Apple/Google Pay etc.) really anti-consumer disguised as a "benefit" for your convenience over something that really wasn't an inconvenience to begin with. I respect your right to use it, but I don't want companies further encouraging it, either. (Though, in this case, the money/control thing is exactly why you can't have what you want, as others have pointed out - Apple doesn't open up their NFC and won't be adding another one for one simple reason: the only purpose of NFC in these cases is to increase their profit, and allowing Disney to access them in such a way wouldn't put any money in their pockets.)

The money these companies (including Disney) are putting into NFC payments is not for your benefit. No one was sitting around a board room going, "How can we solve this problem" because largely the problem didn't exist - at least not enough to justify the billions companies are dumping into it because people occasionally misplace or forget their credit card. It was "how do we sell this to consumers" because there is a long line of financial benefits for them to implement this technology.

We know, in fact, with Disney, it's purpose was to increase per guest spending. They are pretty open about it in the board meetings. It's to make folks feel more detached from the actual money being spent, and apparently they are getting that extra few percent from people because of the psychological effect. From a park operations stand point, it obviously was also a way to invent new categories of micromanaging guests - which doesn't have the same immediate impact financially, and really is just the side effect "extra feature" - the main feature it was designed for was to get you to make payments that way, that's how they measure it's success.

When you get to Apple/Google Pay/etc. - that's a whole 'nother level. Unlike Disney's rather localized effect, Apple/Google/etc. just want to come between you and your money because that makes them money. Payment processing is the "it" business right now, because if you can get someone to use your method, you just started a new revenue stream for doing basically nothing but passing on a brief electronic message. It's kind of genius - except that it's going to cost all of us money because prices will go up if people actually start using these methods en masse.

Basically - no one likes cash, for businesses - it's relatively untraceable, it's easy to steal, it takes man power to count and process and transport, and it's just dirty (literally). The public rather agrees, hence how we have become the Debit Card nation.

When you use a debit/credit card, the merchant (the store) runs it through their credit card processor, who charges your bank, and keeps a percentage of the transaction (a few percent usually, it can vary wildly depending on individual contracts). When you use Apple/Google Pay/etc., the merchant runs it through their credit card processor (still taking their percentage), then through Apple and their processor (who take a percentage for themselves) who then charge your bank.

So, every time you use your NFC, you are just giving Apple/Google/etc. a percentage of the purchase you just bought, which in turn increases the credit card processing charges overall that businesses work into their prices now, and artificially bloats the price more (because of course they are going to pass it on to the consumer) - all for the luxury of not taking a card out of your pocket.

Actually, scratch my first statement - yes, I am against them, LOL - and I also think they are stupid. ;) Again, though - not that Apple would allow Disney to do it anyway. They'd demand a percentage of the admission price for the privilege of allowing the owner of the phone (you) to use the NFC chip on your device to benefit anyone but themselves.

(Disclosure, before I get labeled a "hater" - I own an iPhone 6s Plus 128GB, LOL...)

ioa792

I understand your reason from a moral/financial viewpoint more than people who think it will hold up a line. You have very valid points. I still find convenience in Apple Pay myself, but I can see why some don't bother with it. For me, it reduces clutter in my actual wallet. I don't carry my kohls card and most of my personal cards with me anymore, just my business cards. It is nice to have virtual access to the other cards and I enjoy that when purchases are made, the wallet app alerts me regardless of it being a swipe or NFC payment.

I also can't stand the EMV chips and how slow they are to process, which makes me a bigger fan of NFC.

The security benefits of Apple Pay also make it more worth it. Your card number is ever exposed since Apple generates a random number each time you pay.

Last edited:

toolsnspools

I understand your reason from a moral/financial viewpoint more than people who think it will hold up a line. You have very valid points. I still find convenience in Apple Pay myself, but I can see why some don't bother with it. For me, it reduces clutter in my actual wallet. I don't carry my kohls card and most of my personal cards with me anymore, just my business cards. It is nice to have virtual access to the other cards and I enjoy that when purchases are made, the wallet app alerts me regardless of it being a swipe or NFC payment.

I also can't stand the EMV chips and how slow they are to process, which makes me a bigger fan of NFC.

The security benefits of Apple Pay also make it more worth it. Your card number is ever exposed since Apple generates a random number each time you pay.
Apple made a better mousetrap. It was about time. Magnetic strip technology has ruled the banking universe for 40+ years -

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/icons/magnetic/

Because Apple Pay is better for banks (less fraud) and consumers (more secure), they can take a percentage of every transaction and still be a good value. With 50 Billion transactions per year, even a 1% fee per transaction is $500M per year. Which is exactly why they won't give the technology away to Disney or anyone else. Welcome to capitalism.

lazyboy97o

Honestly? "Against" is a strong word, I just think it's all pretty stupid, to be honest. Mostly because of the fact that it's all (especially, Apple/Google Pay etc.) really anti-consumer disguised as a "benefit" for your convenience over something that really wasn't an inconvenience to begin with. I respect your right to use it, but I don't want companies further encouraging it, either. (Though, in this case, the money/control thing is exactly why you can't have what you want, as others have pointed out - Apple doesn't open up their NFC and won't be adding another one for one simple reason: the only purpose of NFC in these cases is to increase their profit, and allowing Disney to access them in such a way wouldn't put any money in their pockets.)

The money these companies (including Disney) are putting into NFC payments is not for your benefit. No one was sitting around a board room going, "How can we solve this problem" because largely the problem didn't exist - at least not enough to justify the billions companies are dumping into it because people occasionally misplace or forget their credit card. It was "how do we sell this to consumers" because there is a long line of financial benefits for them to implement this technology.

We know, in fact, with Disney, it's purpose was to increase per guest spending. They are pretty open about it in the board meetings. It's to make folks feel more detached from the actual money being spent, and apparently they are getting that extra few percent from people because of the psychological effect. From a park operations stand point, it obviously was also a way to invent new categories of micromanaging guests - which doesn't have the same immediate impact financially, and really is just the side effect "extra feature" - the main feature it was designed for was to get you to make payments that way, that's how they measure it's success.

When you get to Apple/Google Pay/etc. - that's a whole 'nother level. Unlike Disney's rather localized effect, Apple/Google/etc. just want to come between you and your money because that makes them money. Payment processing is the "it" business right now, because if you can get someone to use your method, you just started a new revenue stream for doing basically nothing but passing on a brief electronic message. It's kind of genius - except that it's going to cost all of us money because prices will go up if people actually start using these methods en masse.

Basically - no one likes cash, for businesses - it's relatively untraceable, it's easy to steal, it takes man power to count and process and transport, and it's just dirty (literally). The public rather agrees, hence how we have become the Debit Card nation.

When you use a debit/credit card, the merchant (the store) runs it through their credit card processor, who charges your bank, and keeps a percentage of the transaction (a few percent usually, it can vary wildly depending on individual contracts). When you use Apple/Google Pay/etc., the merchant runs it through their credit card processor (still taking their percentage), then through Apple and their processor (who take a percentage for themselves) who then charge your bank.

So, every time you use your NFC, you are just giving Apple/Google/etc. a percentage of the purchase you just bought, which in turn increases the credit card processing charges overall that businesses work into their prices now, and artificially bloats the price more (because of course they are going to pass it on to the consumer) - all for the luxury of not taking a card out of your pocket.

Actually, scratch my first statement - yes, I am against them, LOL - and I also think they are stupid. ;) Again, though - not that Apple would allow Disney to do it anyway. They'd demand a percentage of the admission price for the privilege of allowing the owner of the phone (you) to use the NFC chip on your device to benefit anyone but themselves.

(Disclosure, before I get labeled a "hater" - I own an iPhone 6s Plus 128GB, LOL...)
NFC is not limited to, nor did it start with, phones. It is also a card-based technology created to reduce fraud that has, like EMV, been refused more than accepted in the US. It's been adopted elsewhere because it does have more consumer protection, but retailers prefer the old mag strip because there is a lot more information available to them. You're also just completely ignoring tokenization.

bhg469

NFC is not limited to, nor did it start with, phones. It is also a card-based technology created to reduce fraud that has, like EMV, been refused more than accepted in the US. It's been adopted elsewhere because it does have more consumer protection, but retailers prefer the old mag strip because there is a lot more information available to them. You're also just completely ignoring tokenization.
I find it funny that the companies that are the ones who adopted the chip are also the ones with the huge public data breaches last Christmas time.

There is sti ll consumer protection however. It just takes responsibility away from the banks and places it on the company that is accepting the payment. I feel like this is fair because converting to chip readers isnt always affordable and adopting that can be an expense that many smallbusinesses can do. Unless you do a lot of business, you cannot subsidize the cost of those readers either.

DisAl

I think they have the FP+ and the gate entry readers cranked way down so you have to do the face to face touch. With the increased power that is in the new pucks i don't know if they are looking to fix those so much as they are looking to enhance their data mining in the park or change the experiences for you. Maybe this will be used for new personalized experiences in the new Lands coming in the next few years (pandora, SW, toy story). That way you don't have to touch the reader like now you just have to be near it.

As a side note does anyone know where the MB reader is in it's a small world that triggers the personalized goodbye at the end?

From what I read on the Federal Communications Commission type acceptance web pages there are two systems in the MB. One is a near field RF ID system that is energized by holding it near the reader. The other is a very low power Bluetooth transmitter powered by a battery in the MB. It has a life of about two years.
The RF ID system is used for purchases, park access, room access, etc. and should work even if the battery in the MB is dead. You would not want it to have a range of more than a couple of inches inches; you can imagine the problems getting in the park if multiple bands were being read at the same time or if a band a few feet away was read while you were making a purchase.
The Bluetooth has a range of several feet and is used more for tracking for such things as ride photos and crowd tracking.

lazyboy97o

I find it funny that the companies that are the ones who adopted the chip are also the ones with the huge public data breaches last Christmas time.

There is sti ll consumer protection however. It just takes responsibility away from the banks and places it on the company that is accepting the payment. I feel like this is fair because converting to chip readers isnt always affordable and adopting that can be an expense that many smallbusinesses can do. Unless you do a lot of business, you cannot subsidize the cost of those readers either.
It's not the small businesses that bother me so much, but I have encountered plenty who have the equipment and simply refuse until I ignore them and just use ApplePay or the chip. The deliberate refusal that annoys me most is the large corporations that deliberate deactivate the readers. Even with the large breach, Target did not meet the liability deadline. These companies are refusing not out of dollars but because despite the breaches they still want as much of that information as possible. Yes, the banks cover the charges but that doesn't undo your other personal information being spread.

To get this back to ticketing, as much as I wish I could use my phone to enter I do see how it would case a bottleneck. I do like SeaWorld's approach of being somewhat media agnostic. Their app is atrocious but it does support a mobile ticket. Even before the app added ticketing, the entry staff do not care what your barcode was on so long as it is valid. Only someone who really wanted their ticket on their phone would do like I did and save the barcode.

yedliW

Because Apple Pay is better for banks (less fraud) and consumers (more secure), they can take a percentage of every transaction and still be a good value. With 50 Billion transactions per year, even a 1% fee per transaction is $500M per year. Which is exactly why they won't give the technology away to Disney or anyone else. Welcome to capitalism.

Is that 50b individual transactions, or $50b in transactions? if it is individual transactions, it could be a lot higher $$

Rob562

Just throwing out another hypothesis I thought of for the new "puck" devices that started this thread...

The filing is just for the devices themselves because they emit RF signals. I don't think anything says that they're intended for Guest use. Could the pucks be for CM tracking? Something they give the CM to just toss in a pocket so CM movements can be tracked? (I'll leave the privacy issues for a separate discussion)

Or what if they're looking to lease the overall long-range-reader system to outside companies for tracking of *their* employees? Since they already came up with whatever long-range reader systems they have in the parks, the next thing would be to come up with an alternative to wristbands that the company would make their employees carry. A little puck that could be clipped onto a lanyard or left in your pocket would fit the bill.

Or, everyone else was on the right path initially and they're looking to assign a single puck per person and then have Guests swap out the wrist straps...

-Rob

Gringrinngghost

Universal Orlando is adding mobile ticketing though mobile barcode support, however it's currently for tickets bought only though the application, but I've been told that will be different soon. Disney could implement this, the same way they could if they used an NFC gift card, but I understand why Apple locks off the NFC for the Apple Wallet applications. The Walgreens Loyalty cards are now NFC for Android aswell, and while that still uses NFC, it's not implemented on iOS as an NFC card but as a barcode scanned card. Disney COULD implement NFC cards on Android devices, but Disney's choice right now for these bands is actually a smart one, because with out them, if someone really wanted to if Disney implemented a system on the phone, they would need for it to only 'GET' and not 'POST' because all it takes is for one enterprising person to find the link(s) and the flaws and abuse the system, especially with the Ticketing places on US 192.

All I can say specifically about "I also can't stand the EMV chips and how slow they are to process," is what I exactly tell other people. It's here to say and it's better security. There is actually a very good explanation on why it's slow and that is due to it's security and card type. They do also have RFID chipped cards with no stripe (contactless smart cards) and there are also newer cards that rely ONLY on the EMV chip (look at the Target RedCard). Why does it take so long to use the EMV chip than the stripe? Well, part of the reason for this is that the chips are sending encrypted information, which takes much longer than the unencrypted data from the magnetic stripes. In addition, EMV transaction can take longer than necessary, depending on how the card issuer has personalized the card and how the store how configures the point of sale terminal. I'm sure that since we are rolling it out in the states early on, At this early stage in EMV deployment in the United States, some terminals have not been configured in an efficient manner, which can and will increase transaction times. Before the EMV chips came out in the US, we we're 50% of the credit card theft in the world, and since the biggest breaches Target and Home Depot, the card issuers have made a shift in libility to the companies now.

The long and the short of it on EMV vs. NFC technology? Both are more secure ways to pay and to process payments.

Gringrinngghost

Just throwing out another hypothesis I thought of for the new "puck" devices that started this thread...

The filing is just for the devices themselves because they emit RF signals. I don't think anything says that they're intended for Guest use. Could the pucks be for CM tracking? Something they give the CM to just toss in a pocket so CM movements can be tracked? (I'll leave the privacy issues for a separate discussion)

Or what if they're looking to lease the overall long-range-reader system to outside companies for tracking of *their* employees? Since they already came up with whatever long-range reader systems they have in the parks, the next thing would be to come up with an alternative to wristbands that the company would make their employees carry. A little puck that could be clipped onto a lanyard or left in your pocket would fit the bill.

Or, everyone else was on the right path initially and they're looking to assign a single puck per person and then have Guests swap out the wrist straps...

-Rob

The Magic Bands now emit RF signals. but they have to be near a reader or get a handshake from a long range reader. The ONLY ones that don't emit RF signals at all right now are the ones on the bottom of the soda cups as those are RF but have no battery and need to have an induction charge to operate.

toolsnspools

Is that 50b individual transactions, or $50b in transactions? if it is individual transactions, it could be a lot higher $$
Individual transactions according to the IBM article, so you're right. $500M would only be if the average transaction was $1. I'm sure it's much higher than that.

yedliW

-Rob

A local super market chain (Wegmans) has a similar thing.. the managers have a device they carry that they have to 'check in' at various places around the store when they make rounds. There are little buttons around the store that look like button batteries that they touch the pen like device to to track the times the parts of the store was visited by the MoD.

PixieRDJames

The original magicband is similar to a fitbit which made sense to me. When I saw the puck article, I didn't get it. Today my daughter shows me the new moov band...interesting similarity

upload_2016-8-27_17-41-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-27_17-41-6.png
    upload_2016-8-27_17-41-6.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 43

21stamps

The Apple Watch makes my life easier. I no longer have to dig in my handbag, retrieve my wallet, find the right card etc... Oh, and the horrible times when I would do that only to realize that I switched handbags and left my card in the zip part of the one at home.
Apple has made checking out more efficient. I can't stand to be behind people who are digging in wallets or their bags. Technology is available...why not use it?

Edited to add., it always baffles me that Chipotle still has a long line at lunch. And that I can bypass that line and immediately pay. Same with Starbucks in the morning (although I do wish Starbucks had a separate drive they window for pre orders so lazy people like me don't have to walk inside).. But the point is all of those people waiting have now wasted 15 minutes or so out of their day, needlessly! I don't understand why people are resistant to change.. But if they weren't then I guess we would still have similar lines, maybe I should be grateful ;)

As far as Disney though.. I won't be buying my kid an Apple Watch anytime soon, so an Apple Pay ticket wouldn't help him..and we have fun with the magic band pop in characters and switching colors.. So I'm ok with the current system.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom