News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Incomudro

NINE (9) sections of the logo are completely off tonight. I’m sorry but it’s really unacceptable at this point and I’m starting to worry that it will not be fixed, or that if it is fixed, it will continue to break and not get enough attention until they just give up. For the record I really enjoy the new area but there are no excuses for this to be happening almost a week after opening.
My fear is that the fix would require breaking large areas up.
I'm hoping it's a software issue, or if not - things were designed in such a way that repair or maintenance of these light could be performed without demolition work.

tparris

Jesus Christ a lot of you guys are pedantic. You do know all the SSE Lighting has over 18,000 points where it technically can fail... (each led diode when talking about DMX.) So please find out where the issue lies, and I am wagering it's not a software issue at all, it's a communication or hardwire issue.
When I say software I mean generally speaking, I don’t doubt that it’s a communication or possibly a controller issue.

Virtual Toad

Jesus Christ a lot of you guys are pedantic. You do know all the SSE Lighting has over 18,000 points where it technically can fail... (each led diode when talking about DMX.) So please find out where the issue lies, and I am wagering it's not a software issue at all, it's a communication or hardwire issue.
I tend to agree. DMX can be tricky (if they are even using DMX, for my pixel lights I'm using custom hardware/software). Either way that's a ton of infrastructure spread out over a large area at the mercy of the elements. A ton of potential failure points. Let's hope they're committed to fixing it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
My fear is that the fix would require breaking large areas up.
I'm hoping it's a software issue, or if not - things were designed in such a way that repair or maintenance of these light could be performed without demolition work.
Yes regardless of what his current issue is, I wonder what the provision is for maintenance on the embedded lights. It looks as though the plastic cover can probably be pulled up to access the LEDs.

Gringrinngghost

I tend to agree. DMX can be tricky (if they are even using DMX, for my pixel lights I'm using custom hardware/software). Either way that's a ton of infrastructure spread out over a large area at the mercy of the elements. A ton of potential failure points. Let's hope they're committed to fixing it.
With NeoPixels, if want the level of control I have used in the past, it’s Art-net and that is DMX-512. I’m redoing the power side of things for my replica SSE point of light, but even at 82 overall LEDs, it’s currently 328 channels. If I go back and do a custom DMX style board, I can bring it down to the bare minimum of 4.

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

I'm starting to think this may be a hardware issue. A couple of those strips have not lit now for several days. If it were software, I would expect this to be fixed by now (reboot).
It has to be hardware. If it was software they could have tried to even remotely restart it if they have the capability, that day it goes out.

Yes regardless of what his current issue is, I wonder what the provision is for maintenance on the embedded lights. It looks as though the plastic cover can probably be pulled up to access the LEDs.

The covers appear to be frosty polycarbonate and or acrylic. So there is also the issues of water ingress.

flyerjab

I love how they built this elaborate area and a bunch of posters on this sight (including me) are walking around the planter looking down at the light strips lol.

But, that is what separates the fans in here from the fans out there.

Virtual Toad

I love how they built this elaborate area and a bunch of posters on this sight (including me) are walking around the planter looking down at the light strips lol.

But, that is what separates the fans in here from the fans out there.
I think what's fascinating is some of the tech they're using is accessible to the average hobbyist, so a lot of us who do our own stuff are geeking out over the hows and whys of what's going on with their installation at Epcot.

trainplane3

We found a split in the LED cover so they're definitely accessible.

I think you figured out the cover was a type of resin, right @Grinning Ghost? They're also massively scuffed too.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Almost half the lights on the east side are out. The under tree lighting on the north and east side is not operational. Finally there are several under tree lighting fixtures in the west side in activation land that are not working and have obvious water damage.

Good luck ever seeing this at 100%.
image.jpg

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Well, it sure looked nice on opening night with all the vloggers and photojournalists on hand.
These are custom made fixtures. Most LED fixtures like this don’t have user replaceable parts. So the only repair option is replace. It will degrade to the point where they’ll be forced to shut it off.

dmc493

And yet this is the tail end of a construction project and the GC hired on to the job is required to provide a complete & functional product. That includes a punch list process, warranty, and (gasp) attic stock for future maintenance needs. Yes - it's not great that things weren't installed properly (or are potentially broken), but don't be dramatic and say it's broken forever and the whole world could only enjoy it for 5 days

Gringrinngghost

We found a split in the LED cover so they're definitely accessible.

I think you figured out the cover was a type of resin, right @Grinning Ghost? They're also massively scuffed too.
I know when we were there, I bought up the notion of be being an epoxy resin but they could be Acrylic, Polycarbonate or epoxy resin. Ultimately I am leaning towards frosted polycarbonate as it would have a higher tensile strength.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Almost half the lights on the east side are out. The under tree lighting on the north and east side is not operational. Finally there are several under tree lighting fixtures in the west side in activation land that are not working and have obvious water damage.

Good luck ever seeing this at 100%.
View attachment 758560
add another entry to the list of bad decisions made by disney

they should have bought some extra govee lights on amazon during their black friday sale

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom