1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by djkidkaz, Nov 19, 2015.

1. prberk

prberk Well-Known Member

I have always said that Epcot should be the backdrop for a Discovery-type of weekly television show that showcases innovation. The "EPCOT World of Discovery" would be the type of program shown late Saturday mornings, and could be filmed a Epcot in front of a live audience. Just like Walt used Disneyland as a backdrop for his weekly show and cross-promoted the park, Epcot would do the same thing.

To wonder why Disney, the perfect multimedia company, doesn't do that is beyond me. Overall I would guess that some of the reason has to do with that the powers that be in Burbank never think of WDW as anything more than a vacation place. They never see its other potentials. Sad thing is that they used to.

2. JEANYLASER

JEANYLASER Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot instead of Ellen's Energy Adventure!:cool:

3. atighe42

atighe42 Well-Known Member

Jim Hill is saying that a Cars 3 "overlay" could be coming to Test Track? Ugh. Abysmal. It's hard to remain optimistic about modern imagineering with ideas such as these thrown around.

4. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

Please god, no. They just made Test Track a better ride than it was initially. The only good Epcot refurbishment in years. Don't ruin it.

5. jmuboy

jmuboy Well-Known Member

What if the park hosted TED talks speakers as well?

Soarin' Over Pgh, azox, S 2 and 3 others like this.
  6. October82

October82 Well-Known Member

At some point the company forgot that synergy can go both ways and that the parks are their own IP.

7. FigmentForver96

FigmentForver96 Well-Known Member

I highly doubt it.

MaxW likes this.
  8. Tahu

Tahu Well-Known Member

The speculation is based on the antagonistic millennial car and his sim-tech training set-up, which you can see in one of the trailers.

9. larandtra

larandtra Active Member

Jim Hill isnt the most reliable "source" as has been proven over time. He misses quite a bit and when he does hear a rumor and post it and gets it right everyone seems to think he knows something. the reality is if you throw enough crap out there eventually a blind squirrel finds a nut. Screamscape is about as reliable as Jim Hill is.

10. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

Our insiders have been saying the same thing for at least half a year. Test Track "may" get an overlay. It "may" be Candy Rush or Cars. It "may" get truncated. It "may" be demolished and replaced.

What "could" happen is up in the air. So, many things "could" be planned.

11. xdan0920

xdan0920 Think for yourselfer Premium Member

How would you know? You have never ridden the new Test Track. o_O

Rodan75 likes this.
  12. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Well-Known Member

I have to imagine any changes to Test Track would be based on GM pulling out, right?

13. wdisney9000

wdisney9000 Well-Known Member

GM Interruptus? Sorry, I had to.

Mike S, CJR and CaptainAmerica like this.
  14. CJR

CJR Well-Known Member

I'd think so, which is funny to me because it seems like the renewal was pretty recent. TT isn't even in what I'd consider the top ten issues in Epcot.

15. CaptainAmerica

I don't think you can look at it that way. If GM ends their sponsorship, Disney would have to do SOMETHING to change it, even if it were the greatest attraction of all time.

16. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

Are you suggesting GM suddenly wants out? Test Track is one of the few pavilions in FW for which I'm not aware of any projects.

17. FigmentForver96

FigmentForver96 Well-Known Member

GM has been the most consistent sponsor for the park, but even if they did drop out, they wouldn't HAVE to change the ride. Signage and such yes but not the ride. Space Mountain has seen sponsors before and nothing major changed after they dropped their sponsorship.

SteveAZee likes this.
  18. CaptainAmerica

I have no inside information. Somebody else introduced the possibility of an overlay / refurb at the Test Track pavilion. I assume any change at that pavilion at this point in time would be driven by the Disney / GM relationship and not by any creative factors.

I don't think Test Track makes sense without an auto sponsor. GM is part of the attraction, not just a name on the sign.

Marijil likes this.
  19. CJR

CJR Well-Known Member

Right, but to what degree is the question. TT is pretty GM heavy, but a lot of it could easily exist with a more generic sim car ride. I would much prefer the GM branding, but I'm just saying, reworking it into something else entirely wouldn't be something I'd want personally (over other areas of Epcot, if the rest of the park were in better shape, absolutely, just not for Cars imho). This would be the one time I'd be OK with Disney doing the cheap thing.

That's also if GM pulled out. If Disney has a new vision for the attraction, that doesn't necessarily mean GM couldn't remain a sponsor for it. They do sponsor the Tron coaster in Shanghai, I believe. So, it wouldn't be the first IP based attraction they've slapped one of their brands onto.

20. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

As of now I'm not aware of any firm plans for changing Test Track.

Let alone anything more concrete.