• World of Warcraft
  • Halo
  • League of Legends
  • Minecraft
  • Diablo
  • Final Fantasy
  • Witcher
  • Elder Scrolls

It probably wouldn't be that great for a variety of reasons. I love the Witcher, but it's essentially just European fantasy, as is Elder Scrolls (other than Morrowind), and Diablo is just a darker version -- it would be difficult to do something that didn't feel generic for those properties. Almost all of the Final Fantasy games are take place in different worlds, so a themed environment would probably need to pick one specific game from the series.

I think video games in general don't translate well to theme park attractions due to the very nature of games, although there are some exceptions.

mickEblu

I’m in my mid-30s and I don’t really know either of those properties. I doubt most people younger than me would either. They may be classics, but I don’t think they’ve survived in relevancy enough for modern-day attractions.

You could argue that Song of the South and The Twilight Zone weren’t relevant in the 80s/90s and yet those attractions turned out fine.

JD80

It probably wouldn't be that great for a variety of reasons. I love the Witcher, but it's essentially just European fantasy, as is Elder Scrolls (other than Morrowind), and Diablo is just a darker version -- it would be difficult to do something that didn't feel generic for those properties. Almost all of the Final Fantasy games are take place in different worlds, so a themed environment would probably need to pick one specific game from the series.

I think video games in general don't translate well to theme park attractions due to the very nature of games, although there are some exceptions.

Pick four out of the list if you want. World of Warcraft can be it's own park with as many lands as you can afford. You could easily make a land out of any of the other properties with 2-3 attractions and some additional entertainment.

Games can translate into attractions just as well as a book or movie.

UNCgolf

Pick four out of the list if you want. World of Warcraft can be it's own park with as many lands as you can afford. You could easily make a land out of any of the other properties with 2-3 attractions and some additional entertainment.

Games can translate into attractions just as well as a book or movie.

I think games are inherently harder to translate into an attraction because they're an interactive medium. Books and movies are passive, as are most theme park attractions. Mario Kart tried and failed miserably (at least in my opinion; I know some people like it), and that's a game that actually should have been relatively easy to translate into an attraction.

I'm not saying it's impossible, or that there aren't some games that would work well for themed lands, but there aren't very many game IPs that have both some sort of unique, easily recognizable environment/setting and the requisite popularity necessary to make it worth building.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

I think games are inherently harder to translate into an attraction because they're an interactive medium. Books and movies are passive, as are most theme park attractions. Mario Kart tried and failed miserably (at least in my opinion; I know some people like it), and that's a game that actually should have been relatively easy to translate into an attraction.

I'm not saying it's impossible, or that there aren't some games that would work well for themed lands, but there aren't very many game IPs that have both some sort of unique, easily recognizable environment/setting and the requisite popularity necessary to make it worth building.
Certain genres, sure. I think Mario (platforming), Pokémon (monster collection), and Zelda (exploration and puzzle solving) are going to be especially challenging. However, Donkey Kong and, like, Sonic, for example, could be easier because they often have speed-oriented on-rails sections that largely play themselves. RPGs could also work well, but I doubt many would be interested based on comparative sales in that genre.

UNCgolf

Certain genres, sure. I think Mario (platforming), Pokémon (monster collection), and Zelda (exploration and puzzle solving) are going to be especially challenging. However, Donkey Kong and, like, Sonic, for example, could be easier because they often have speed-oriented on-rails sections that largely play themselves. RPGs could also work well, but I doubt many would be interested based on comparative sales in that genre.

I actually feel like RPGs might be the hardest, because they tend to rely on interactive narratives where your choices actually affect what happens in the game much more than any other genre. This isn't true across the board for RPGs (especially JRPGs, and to a lesser extent action RPGs) but it tends to be one of the hallmarks of the genre.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
I think video games are a great source, as a life-long gamer; the lands Universal have built (Nintendo) and are going to likely build (Zelda and pokémon) are my most anticipated of any theme park rumor. Pokémon alone is probably the largest, most successful franchise in the world. Star Wars, Mickey and Marvel have years on pokémon, but over the long run, I'd bet on pokémon (not that they won't all continue to be incredibly successful).

I'd also go CRAZY for a Warcraft theme park. That's something we deserve.

But anyway, I just hope we get a villains land that looks half as good as Diagon Alley.

UNCgolf

I think video games are a great source, as a life-long gamer; the lands Universal have built (Nintendo) and are going to likely build (Zelda and pokémon) are my most anticipated of any theme park rumor. Pokémon alone is probably the largest, most successful franchise in the world. Star Wars, Mickey and Marvel have years on pokémon, but over the long run, I'd bet on pokémon (not that they won't all continue to be incredibly successful).

But anyway, I just hope we get a villains land that looks half as good as Diagon Alley.

Warcraft would definitely work as a theme park -- it's kind of just generic high fantasy, but it does have a relatively unique visual style and it's very popular.

Pokemon is kind of a middle ground, in that while it obviously has successful/popular games, I don't think video games are the biggest the reason it is as popular as it is.

Mike S

Pokémon alone is probably the largest, most successful franchise in the world.
Not probably, it is.

By an extremely wide margin comparative to how long it’s actually been around.
f02c60d2-25-highest-grossing-media-franchises-all-time-4_29030a32d6.png

JD80

I just think Mario Kart was just a bad attraction, not because it was a video game.

There are epic fights/battles in all of the games I listed. Imagine a real life experience of an epic fight that you have fond memories of in one of those games? I think that's more compelling than anything else.

I just listed several IPs that have made billions of dollars through their IP over the last 20 years if not longer.

JD80

Imagine re-creating WoW fights against Arthas or your first raid of Ragnaros in a well themed attraction at a park? 10s of millions of people would go bonkers.

McMickeyWorld

A long time ago, someone else had already mentioned it, Genshin Impact is perfect. Since I played it for the first time, I thought about how well it would work either as a themed land in the style of Fantasy Springs or even as a park like DisneySea. I'm not sure if it's popular enough, but if done correctly, it could easily become like what happened with Avatar. I believe that despite its gameplay, due to its own inspirations, it has the potential to create good attractions with different approaches and tones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom